Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Mason Marchment

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
signing fairly talented young players who are big and play with an edge? yeah I think so

He's not his father, and he's not like Martin. He uses his body like JvR, but works harder. Not all big guys play with an edge, but as long as they use their bodies to their advantage, as he (and Gauthier) have done for the Marlies this season, then there is nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Eb and draeko17

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He's not his father, and he's not like Martin. He uses his body like JvR, but works harder. Not all big guys play with an edge, but as long as they use their bodies to their advantage, as he (and Gauthier) have done for the Marlies this season, then there is nothing to worry about.
he does play with at least a little bit of an edge. not a huge one though

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Think it’s great. It’s not like one of the NCAA free agents, they signed him and then didn’t even play him on the Marlies had him work with skill coaches for most of a year and now have brought him along slowly. Interesting and different development arc. Intriguing to see how ir goes. The powers that be obviously saw a diamond in the rough.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Leaked out last week that he was about to sign his ELC.

He's been very good for the Marlies. Not sure about his NHL potential but if he keeps developing you just never know. Another great find from Dubas.
More like he got an opportunity due to his father being a NHLer and being buddies with either Shanny/Hunter/LL/Babs.

edit - looks like it was probably Shanny since they're the same age and would have played against each other and maybe even together as kids and against each other as pros

but hey if this great find pans out to be a decent NHL 4th liner we'll give the credit to KD

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
he does play with at least a little bit of an edge. not a huge one though

Well I guess when you are that size you are probably going to get into some physical alterations once in a while.

Only 6 career fights from the OHL until now, and he does not rack up a ton of PIM's. I don't remember a whole bunch of times he's really been an edgy player.

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
Saw him play a lot in major midget. Hardest worker on the ice every night.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Well I guess when you are that size you are probably going to get into some physical alterations once in a while.

Only 6 career fights from the OHL until now, and he does not rack up a ton of PIM's. I don't remember a whole bunch of times he's really been an edgy player.
He is a lot more engaged physically than JVR. He will also drop the gloves if needed and defends his team mates when needed as well.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
More like he got an opportunity due to his father being a NHLer and being buddies with either Shanny/Hunter/LL/Babs.

edit - looks like it was probably Shanny since they're the same age and would have played against each other and maybe even together as kids and against each other as pros

but hey if this great find pans out to be a decent NHL 4th liner we'll give the credit to KD

"Oh look. Someone said something positive about Kyle Dubas. Better find some way to shit all over it."

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
"Oh look. Someone said something positive about Kyle Dubas. Better find some way to **** all over it."
are you okay ?

how desperate does someone have to be to call Mason Marchment "another great find" by KD when it's obvious someone in the organization was doing his dad a favor by even giving this kid a shot at the Marlies

i think we're better off giving Dubas credit for his "great finds" like Rielly and Kadri , at least these 2 "great finds" are extremely important to the Leafs future unlike Marchment

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
are you okay ?

how desperate does someone have to be to call Mason Marchment "another great find" by KD when it's obvious someone in the organization was doing his dad a favor by even giving this kid a shot at the Marlies

i think we're better off giving Dubas credit for his "great finds" like Rielly and Kadri , at least these 2 "great finds" are extremely important to the Leafs future unlike Marchment

Dubas found Rielly and Kadri??

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
are you okay ?

Lets ignore the fact that Marchment is having a very good rookie year on the Marlies why don't we. If there was any 'favor' being done here, its to the organization. Or do you think that the rest of the AHL is also doing Marchment a 'favor' by allowing him to excell as well? Man, everyone must like his dad then.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Good to see and well deserved, here's what I had to say back in Oct/Nov

Truly remarkable development path, if he stays on it on the same curve I hope he gets an elc from us.

Spent his minor midget year playing single A, not drafted to OHL.
Spent his U18 (NHL draft year) playing major midget AAA, not drafted to NHL
U19- makes tier II team as a pretty old rookie,finishe 3rd in team scoring. impressive
U20- makes Mem cup contending OHL team as a 19 year old undrafted walk on. Jaw dropping.
U21- earns one of the limited OHL OA spots despite only having one year in the league. Quite the impression he made.
U22-earns AHL contract, strong year in ECHL
U23-??

This is a player you just have to root for, and despite the odds don't want to bet against
Hyman's on ice motor, off ice drive, and similar meteoric development curve (emerging as a prospect at 22)
Rychel's game (skill + nasty), NHL pedigree
JVR's body

It's an incredibly interesting combination. Anywhere from a Martin replacement to late blooming top 9 fan favorite.

We now know U23- Strong AHL season, earn ELC.
I wouldn't bet against him seeing NHL time next season. He's like the love child of Hyman and Leivo with a touch of Martin.
Food for thought: He's currently the same age as Hyman was during his senior year at Michigan. Don't write off the potential for him to be a "3rd fiddle/ grunt" type in this top 9 system.​

Reactions: draeko17

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Lets ignore the fact that Marchment is having a very good rookie year on the Marlies why don't we. If there was any 'favor' being done here, its to the organization. Or do you think that the rest of the AHL is also doing Marchment a 'favor' by allowing him to excell as well? Man, everyone must like his dad then.
no the opportunity granted to him was because of his dad , what he's making of it is of his doing

lots of NHLers get there kids opportunities they would never have gotten so i don't know why you're getting all riled up for no reason

Last edited:

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Good for him. This also gives fringe prospects a reason to sign with the Marlies and follow their system to developing. Not only is this good for us because Marchment worked out, but because now we can pitch to some of these guys that maybe the ECHL isn't a bad option and we will put time and money into your development to see what you have.

Also, if the Leafs can develop a couple more bottom six potential guys this way, it just adds to the reasoning of shooting high with our draft picks.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
no the opportunity granted to him was because of his dad , what he's making of it is of his doing

lots of NHLers get there kids opportunities there normally would never have gotten so i don't know why you're getting all riled up for no reason

Why do you automatically assume that it's 'because of his dad'? Do you have proof? Or is it just every former NHL has to get his kid a shot in the AHL?

It's entirely possible you're correct, and it's also entirely possible that Dubas rolled the dice on a 6'4 late blooming forward (his development between 18-23 has been something) with a huge shot by signing him to an AHL deal. Dubas did this a few times with players out of CHL, this one 'hit' in terms of earning himself an ELC. So it's not unreasonable to think Dubas looking to take advantage of the AHL system, was trying to unearth some gems. Since his OHL career started at 19 he's certainly taken big steps forward each year.

Hopefully he can develop into a big body 4th liner that can chip in at both ends of the ice.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Fact he was signed to an ELC means that they believe he's competing in camp next year for a spot.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Good for Marchment. Possibly a better Martin replacement in the future? Or probably just a depth Marlie signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad