Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign LW/C Patrick Marleau (3 years, $6.25 AAV, NMC) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
most other players with NMC also have NTC, so my question is all these posters saying "he will control where we send him" can someone show me a case where a NMC and NMC only was used to stop a trade?

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Was it overpayment? Yes

Contract too long? Yes

But it didn't cost the leafs anything other than cash and they'll be fine cap wise.

Still need a top 4 Dman to be a contender though.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't think they're done, and because of that I like this deal.

Ditto

Not a fan of the term but it's not awful

AAV is bad .. But they had to overpay to bring him in

I think he'll bring in the leadership, room presence that management wants.

I think it means the end of JVR for something. While JVR is the superior offensive player, Marleau is better defensively. Add in the leadership and I think it makes the team better overall.

I have a hard time believing he'll provide $6.25 AAV in value but if it helps the team take a step forward I can live with it. Especially with the other suspected moves that will follow and that it's not a long term crippling deal.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
most other players with NMC also have NTC, so my question is all these posters saying "he will control where we send him" can someone show me a case where a NMC and NMC only was used to stop a trade?
A NMC is also a NTC? Trades are considered "movement"

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Marleau P/60 (3 years) - 1.35

P/60 (3 years) better on the Leafs:
1. Marner - 2.13
2. Matthews - 2.12
3. JVR - 1.88
4. Nylander - 1.71
5. Bozak - 1.64
6. Kadri - 1.62
7. Komarov - 1.40

(Left out Boyes 1.65 & Michalek - 1.38)

Also, Leaf fans hate Hyman and his P/60 is 1.26 (and brings much stronger defense)

Oh wait, people say he's a goal scorer?? Guess again:

Marleau's G/60 - 0.67

1. Matthews - 1.5
2. JVR - 0.95
3. Marner - 0.86
4. Brown - 0.77
5. Kadri - 0.73
6. Boyle - 0.73
7. Lupul - 0.68
8. Nylander - 0.68

This guy is essentially Komarov level offense, with much worse defense. Imagine us paying Komarov $6.25M for 3 seasons?? People are being blinded by his name.

Come at me.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
There was some chatter in Part I about Komarov being our best defensive forward and losing him hurting us; I don't really think that's the case.

With Marleau on our top line, that's going matchup against the best in the league. Kadri's line (and already were doing this last year) is going to be matching up against 2nd lines and Bozak's line is going to destroying what's left of the opposition.

Hyman is perfectly capable of that role; he's an excellent penalty killer too. And Kapanen too.

If you don't move Komarov, the top 9 isn't nearly as threatening. Unfortunately we're stuck with Martin because I'd like to slide Komarov down to the 4th line with Moore and Kapanen, but Babs will never let that happen.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
then why does horton have a NMC AND a NTC?

Because the trade aspect of Horton's deal is modified.

Back in the early cap days full NMCs were very common (with no conditions) and the NTC aspect was never stated because it didn't need to be.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Because the trade aspect of Horton's deal is modified.

Back in the early cap days full NMCs were very common (with no conditions) and the NTC aspect was never stated because it didn't need to be.

ok. ill take your word for it,

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Leafs also own the sharks 2nd and 3rd Rd picks

Making the sharks worse makes the leafs better

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I like the deal overall.

As others have said, term and money are high. But the extra year is only a problem if they keep him (that last year is when they need to resign some big names lol). Money/cap hit aren't really much of a problem for the first two years.

Current cap hit is like 2 mill over but that includes our two LTR guys who combine for a a cap hit of over 10 mill. So really, this season's cap hit so far is about 8 mill under (love the wiggle room we have).

What stuns me about all this is that so many posters are either focused on the contract or who they think is better and available.

Guys. Marleau is going to be in the first line. most likely. We can now see Hyman drop off that line, which is something so many fans wanted to see. It's also an instant upgrade on that line. Mathews with Marleau should put up some really nice point totals this season.

For that reason alone, I'm jazzed about this deal.

Sep 18, 2009
Marleau P/60 (3 years) - 1.35

P/60 (3 years) better on the Leafs:
1. Marner - 2.13
2. Matthews - 2.12
3. JVR - 1.88
4. Nylander - 1.71
5. Bozak - 1.64
6. Kadri - 1.62
7. Komarov - 1.40

(Left out Boyes 1.65 & Michalek - 1.38)

Also, Leaf fans hate Hyman and his P/60 is 1.26 (and brings much stronger defense)

Oh wait, people say he's a goal scorer?? Guess again:

Marleau's G/60 - 0.67

1. Matthews - 1.5
2. JVR - 0.95
3. Marner - 0.86
4. Brown - 0.77
5. Kadri - 0.73
6. Boyle - 0.73
7. Lupul - 0.68
8. Nylander - 0.68

This guy is essentially Komarov level offense, with much worse defense. Imagine us paying Komarov $6.25M for 3 seasons?? People are being blinded by his name.

Come at me.

He's not here to put up points
He's here to mentor the kids
Come at me

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
we are 1.6 million OVER the cap and have to still ink hyman/brown

i'm officially in the no "idea what they are up to or thinking"

this move literally makes 0 sense.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
He's not here to put up points
He's here to mentor the kids
Come at me

So Matt Martin 2.0 except he won't protect them?? Lmao if the reason he got paid 3M too much is to mentor the kids, this management staff is worse than I thought.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Upside:
Experienced Pro to mentor young Leafs
Still can score and skate
Not too bad of a contract, third year easier to handle money wise
Replaces Hyman on left side of Matthews?

Downside:
He's old...ish could easily hit a wall and decline rapidly.
Perhaps takes a roster spot from Kapanen or at ice time away from someone we want to give ice time to
Doesn't address top need of a top 4 youngish RH blue liner

Aside from age, I hope the next shoe to drop will address the downsides especially the Top 4 defender. Otherwise, why bother with him, he won't put you over the top as a contender at his age. Would rather add a Kapenen, Leivo to the lineup.
Jury is still out for me.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

on that cap is $10M of Horton and Lupul, also we are allowed to trade players especially one dimensional scoring wingers on the last year of their contracts

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec

The cap hit in the summer includes LTR guys. Leafs have two players on LTR that will remain there next season who combine for 10 mill of the cap hit. So, once they come off the cap because they are LTR, we will be about 8 mill under the cap.

We also now have too many forwards, so they Leafs will have on forward off the books before the seasons starts, which will also lower our cap total.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I love the idea of signing him, but we're paying about $3M too much because of his name.

I would have liked him better at $5M and two years but he doesn't come east for that.

Let the Shannaclan worry about the money and cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad