Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Kadri, 2 Year Deal.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Nice to see management stick to their guns and get a good contract done, rather than caving and overpaying like the Leafs normally do. Now to sign Franson to a reasonable deal too, and ideally extend Kessel and Phaneuf.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Why do so many people care RIGHT NOW about how much money the Leafs will have to pay Kadri 2 years from now? If the cap goes up significantly in the next 2 years and he's earned a raise, why do any of you care what the $ is so long as there is cap space to give him a big contract without jeopardizing the overall quality of the team?

Kadri is not a Crosby or Weber kind of talent where you know that you most certainly have an elite franchise player. He has to prove himself and management chose to go with the less risky route by signing him short term to see what he can do and then give him a bigger contract later should he earn it.

While it's an obvious point, I think some people on here need to be reminded that it isn't our money being spent and it isn't our livelihood being negotiated. If Kadri proves himself to be a big time player and should be getting big money, then there's nothing wrong with him getting an opportunity to negotiate that kind of deal for himself. Just because we don't get paid millions of dollars a year to do what we do isn't a good enough excuse for why we should expect every player to take mega hometown discounts because they get paid millions of dollars to play hockey for a living.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
Kadri is not a Crosby or Weber kind of talent where you know that you most certainly have an elite franchise player. He has to prove himself and management chose to go with the less risky route by signing him short term to see what he can do and then give him a bigger contract later should he earn it.
so there are a lot of rookie players who arent CROSBY or WEBER that get nice long beefy contracts

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
so there are a lot of rookie players who arent CROSBY or WEBER that get nice long beefy contracts

Right...and if you read my post properly you would see that I said that signing a bridge contract is LESS risky when you are evaluating a player who has a very small resume of NHL experience. The point is that there's nothing wrong with management choosing to see Kadri prove he can be a reliable and consistent player rather than hand him a big contract and HOPE that he can be a reliable and consistent player. Just because other teams take the greater risk with their players and hand out big contracts doesn't mean that every player should expect that or every team should follow suit and do the same with their own players.

If Kadri proves to be a great talent that's worth an 8 year contract, then a 2 year bridge deal will allow the Leafs to buy out all of his prime years until he's 33. That's 2 more prime years than what you would get him for if you were to give him a long term contract right now. When a player is nearing the end of his prime, he starts looking for retirement contracts. Do you really want to give a guy 6 or 7 years of a contract just to get 2 really good years from him?

EDDIE20*

He's made it as a journalist. I think he's done pretty well for himself. What have you done? How's your math??

My math's pretty good actually. I use it on the job constantly. I've got a great career. No complaints. I don't have it as easy as Cox but then again, not everyone can make a living inventing rumours from the local newspaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
Leafs Re-sign Nazem Kadri, Cody Franson Next?

With Nazem Kadri under contract, the Toronto Maple Leafs head into training camp on Wednesday with just one player unsigned; restricted free agent Cody Franson.
Kadri`s 2-year, $5.8M deal leaves the Leafs with about $3M in cap room for this season.

The Leafs will head into camp Wednesday with a roster pretty much set, and before any preseason games are played this appears to be the lineup the Leafs will start the season with.

Full Story

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Assuming we go with a 13/7/2 roster and Smith and Holzer are sent down it leaves us 3.3 mil to sign Franson and add a forward . It's doable if they squeeze Franson hard enough but even then it'll leave us completely capped out .

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The best part of the deal is the 2 year term that keeps Kadri as an RFA after it expires ... At that time it will be easier to lock him up long term (assuming he establishes himself) that will carry through his prime years (in 2 years he'll be 24/25) - an 8 year deal would carry until he's 32/33)

Whereas a 6 year deal now takes him to age 28/29, where he's likely to land a massive contract regardless (again assuming he establishes himself) .. This deal would likely extend 8 years and still be a large contract where he would likely carry a cap hit that would give him negative value when he extends past 35

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad