Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign F Trevor Smith (1 year)

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Why is he even on the ice with under a minute left in overtime lol

Sadly this was probably a good choice given the bench at the time.

Remember when Bolland and Bozak were both injured and Kadri was suspended for a few games, and we had yet to trade for Holland. It may have been then.

I think we may have gone a game with JvR, Smith, McClement, and Smithson down the middle.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Why on earth would we sign Smith if the youngsters are supposedly getting a chance at camp? Shouldn't Carrick, McKegg,etc get in a few games?

:shakehead

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Why on earth would we sign Smith if the youngsters are supposedly getting a chance at camp? Shouldn't Carrick, McKegg,etc get in a few games?

Well somebody's got to play on the Marlies if they are playing for the Leafs.

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Marlies need some experience to lean on as well. Someone to help the players mentioned transition to the next level.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Good backup 4th line centre option. He was solid last year in his limited appearances prior to his injury.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013

Marlies are still thin at center assuming Smithson is gone.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Carlyle will callup Smith over a youngster because of his experience. Obstacle.

So the youngster get more marlies ice time? whats the problem?

Part of me would rather see Holland top line marlies over 4th line minutes, same for guys like Ashton or Leivo.

Smith wont take top 9 minutes and a cheap dependable center is great depth, he wont take key player development away. Also still no reason they won't take a look at Carrick or others with Smith either.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
basically people are being miserable. i don't see how trevor smith signing a 1 year contract is a big bad horrendous thing. until his broken hand + other injury he played well here. he played well in the marlies. we have centre depth that either A: challenges up here, or B: supports the youngsters down there.

the problem is what, exactly?

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
basically people are being miserable. i don't see how trevor smith signing a 1 year contract is a big bad horrendous thing. until his broken hand + other injury he played well here. he played well in the marlies. we have centre depth that either A: challenges up here, or B: supports the youngsters down there.

the problem is what, exactly?

You answered your own question with the first sentence. :laugh:

Doesn't hurt McKegg and Carrick to play at least 1 more year in the AHL. It's a good depth signing, and good leader for the AHL.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Carlyle will callup Smith over a youngster because of his experience. Obstacle.

Carlyle doesn't decide callups.

Also I feel the need to reiterate that somebody has to play for the Marlies if you have guys like Mckegg and Leivo on the Leafs. They can't just play a short roster and ice Connor Brown for 30 minutes a night.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Can't go wrong with him as depth. Can bounce from the Marlies to the Leafs with ease without much risk of losing to the waiver wire.

It also gives a bit of competition to Holland and the other younger players to bust their ass.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Carlyle doesn't decide callups.

Also I feel the need to reiterate that somebody has to play for the Marlies if you have guys like Mckegg and Leivo on the Leafs. They can't just play a short roster and ice Connor Brown for 30 minutes a night.

He sort of does. Of course Nonis and management have the last say but I'm pretty sure Carlyle and his staff have a strong input into what they need in a call up. In that input, The Marlies staff also have their say who deserves the call up or would fit better the need.

In short, it's a mutual agreement/decision between the coaches and management.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Sadly this was probably a good choice given the bench at the time.

Remember when Bolland and Bozak were both injured and Kadri was suspended for a few games, and we had yet to trade for Holland. It may have been then.

I think we may have gone a game with JvR, Smith, McClement, and Smithson down the middle.

Kadri had two goals in that game. But yes, Bozak and Bolland were out.

Bernier stopped 48 of 50 that night, including a few highlight reel saves in the third.

Benn and Seguin combined for 15 shots.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Smith was a good captain of the Marlies last season and versatile depth player for the Leafs filling in for injuries.

FUN FACT

Smith 4-5-9 points in the NHL last year was more than almost 1/2 of the new replacements in NHL points greater than Frattin, Kontiola and Komarov.

When Komarov was last in the NHL he scored 4-5-9 in 42 games and Smith recorded his only 28 games.

Smith might believe with a good camp he could start the year with the Leafs.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I remember at one point this year:
Bozak, Smith, Bolland were hurt and Kadri was suspended

What was our centre depth again?
JVR
Holland
McClement
????

Ad

Upcoming events