Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign F Trevor Smith (1 year)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I remember at one point this year:
Bozak, Smith, Bolland were hurt and Kadri was suspended

What was our centre depth again?
JVR
Holland
McClement
????

The ???? was Jerred Smithson, and he was only signed to an AHL contract prior to being needed to fill in.

It shows that with injuries that a farm system will be called upon.

The only odd thing about last year was that the season ending collapse losing 12 of the last 14 came while the Leafs centers were healthy and in the line-up as you would have thought that this might have occurred while they were injured as then it would be more explainable.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Just confirming, it is a 2-way deal yes?

It really doesn't matter. A 2-way deal just means that he would make a different salary with the Marlies than with the Leafs. It has nothing to do with waiver eligibility. And since I'm pretty sure that Smith will be making under $925,00, it has no cap implications (only a player's AHL salary in excess of $925,000 counts against the cap).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It really doesn't matter. A 2-way deal just means that he would make a different salary with the Marlies than with the Leafs. It has nothing to do with waiver eligibility. And since I'm pretty sure that Smith will be making under $925,00, it has no cap implications (only a player's AHL salary in excess of $925,000 counts against the cap).

Trevor Smith's contract is for $550k (league minimum).

We knew going into the summer that Leafs had cap issues and would need to find a bunch of players making <$1.5 mil to fill out the roster.

With the Smith signing Leafs now have 18 players under contract for next season with (Franson, Gardiner and Reimer still unsigned RFA's).

However at that price it would allow young Marlie forwards like Holland, Ashton etc to beat him out for a NHL job and Smith can go back to captaining the Marlies as he did last season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Trevor Smith's contract is for $550k (league minimum).

We knew going into the summer that Leafs had cap issues and would need to find a bunch of players making <$1.5 mil to fill out the roster.

With the Smith signing Leafs now have 18 players under contract for next season with (Franson, Gardiner and Reimer still unsigned RFA's).

However at that price it would allow young Marlie forwards like Holland, Ashton etc to beat him out for a NHL job and Smith can go back to captaining the Marlies as he did last season.

They have a lot of cap space. They didn't sign Smith to the cap minimum because of cap restraints, they signed him to that because it's what he's worth really. Cheap depth is good no matter how close or how far you from the cap.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
according to capgeek its 1-way

Interesting. Basically it's a good way to give him a raise while keeping him in the AHL with the opportunity to come up if necessary while not counting against the cap until he's called up. I like it. He deserves it

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They have a lot of cap space. They didn't sign Smith to the cap minimum because of cap restraints, they signed him to that because it's what he's worth really. Cheap depth is good no matter how close or how far you from the cap.

Leafs can afford to so they do but the reason a player like Trevor Smith is Leaf/Marlie is because of the 1-way contract..

$550k guaranteed even if you play in the AHL is not a deal tweeners like Smith will pass up or a lot of other teams offer. Most AHLers on 2-way contracts make <$100k on their AHL portion of the deal.

So its a good signing by Toronto all around and good for Smith as well as 1/2 a mil is nothing to sneeze at and he showed he could be called upon to help out at the NHL level if needed and was good for development purposes when in the AHL providing leadership as captain.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Great signing. Smith is a solid player for us when we need him and isn't really a threat to be claimed off waivers.

He's our Marlies captain too so he's known through the org. So happy we kept him.

Tyler Biggs*

Nevermind Lebron. I was waiting to see where Trevor Smith would sign.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Great signing. Smith is a solid player for us when we need him and isn't really a threat to be claimed off waivers.

He's our Marlies captain too so he's known through the org. So happy we kept him.

Probably also helpful to keep a major piece of the Marlies' leadership group since they will be bringing in a new coach now (either had or assistant).

Tyler Biggs*

He's a good guy to have as a captain of your AHL team and will work hard on the 4th line. He's no superstar signing, but having more guys competing for those bottom 6 forward spots will only make them work harder and perform better. Nice depth signing.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Good signing, hopefully we don't need him on the big club though.

I Agree. It probably would be a bad thing if he was needed up with the Leafs after signing 2 free agents centers and hoping a Holland can land a permanent spot with the Leafs. Good for the Marlies though.

Rizzy13

Jan 26, 2009
Interesting that they also signed their third round pick from this year, Valiev to an entry level contract.

I think I was reading on these boards that they signed him to an ELC because he's playing (FAR) away from home and it gives the kid some extra cash. It's a common practice apparently. I think he's still going to continue playing in the WHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad