Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Simon Benoit (1 year, $775k)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Every time this thread gets bumped I think we’ve extended him and I get excited.

Looks like the longer it takes us to extend him, the higher the likelihood that he goes to UFA and someone else will sign him.

Also worth remembering is Benoit is a bit of a unique asset on Toronto but a lot of teams have these kind of guys who play a simple defensive game cleanly.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Nope.

As more constructive posters shared, he’s an RFA and not a UFA which explained the lack of movement, for which I duly thanked them for clarifying.

…… but thanks for your contribution Negative Nancy….
You do realize I'm on the side of him being signed and the thing is as long as he's in our organization there's hope and also think there's better. So hardly negative, believing every day that goes by we won't sign him is honesty a negative outlook. Not sure why you can't comprehend that. But whatever you want to think I'll let you. Just don't think it's a positive way to look at life.

• Haha
Reactions: LeafSteel

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's ok? That's a huge under exaggeration if I've seen one, he's been absolutely tremendous and arguably our 3rd best defenceman behind Reilly and McCabe. If his play continues this way expect much more then the 1.2 you're offering

RFA he has all sort of little things to work on before he a polished product.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
He's ok? That's a huge under exaggeration if I've seen one, he's been absolutely tremendous and arguably our 3rd best defenceman behind Reilly and McCabe. If his play continues this way expect much more then the 1.2 you're offering
Lol he’s not our third best defencemen he’s important but that’s false

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
RFA he has all sort of little things to work on before he a polished product.
He's a defensive defenceman who is doing his job quite well. He's playing top 4 minutes and doing it well, at this pace I'm expecting a 3 year 2-2.5

Lol he’s not our third best defencemen he’s important but that’s false
He has outplayed Gio, Brodie and Liljegren, does Liljegren have potential to be better then him absolutely but right now who are you putting out there in the final minute of a game?

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
He's a defensive defenceman who is doing his job quite well. He's playing top 4 minutes and doing it well, at this pace I'm expecting a 3 year 2-2.5

He has outplayed Gio, Brodie and Liljegren, does Liljegren have potential to be better then him absolutely but right now who are you putting out there in the final minute of a game?
Who are you putting out there down a goal?? You see it’s situational what I will say is with lily the gap in their offensive game is way wider then their defensive games

Reactions: aingefan

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ideal for me would be 3 years at 1 million. Likely is 3 at 1.4ish million.

Hoping he stays for a few more years. He has earned some more time as a Leaf.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Ideal for me would be 3 years at 1 million. Likely is 3 at 1.4ish million.

Hoping he stays for a few more years. He has earned some more time as a Leaf.
1.4 would work for me but not a penny more unless he takes boxing lessons

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
He keeps improving. I think he has gotten better at moving the puck. Love him.

Also, he did not get along with Max Jones when he was with Anaheim. Has lit him up twice tonight,

Reactions: authentic and weems

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad