Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Simon Benoit (1 year, $775k)

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Benoit is your modern-day bottom-pairing physical 5th/6th dman that every team in the league is craving for.

We've been going in an endless loop with finding a bottom-pairing physical Defenseman (Bogosian, Lybushkin, Schenn, etc..)....to have one fall into our lap is nice

We have to lock him up for a few years considering he's young too.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Benoit is your modern-day bottom-pairing physical 5th/6th dman that every team in the league is craving for.

We've been going in an endless loop with finding a bottom-pairing physical Defenseman (Bogosian, Lybushkin, Schenn, etc..)....to have one fall into our lap is nice

Agreed. Not all defensemen have to be big minute munching 20+ minute a night guys. Someone's gotta be the 16 minutes a game guy and Benoit is a fine one, love the consistent physicality he brings.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Agreed with everything except for the “fall into our laps” part.

We are quick to point out Treliving signings that didn’t work. He deserves credit for bringing in Benoit.

Guy was lost in Anaheim, and how many were lining up for him to be signed, anywhere?

Credit where it’s due. Treliving got us something we’ve desperately needed in Benoit, and he’s been a terrific signing.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

We are quick to point out Treliving signings that didn’t work. He deserves credit for bringing in Benoit.

Guy was lost in Anaheim, and how many were lining up for him to be signed, anywhere?

Credit where it’s due. Treliving got us something we’ve desperately needed in Benoit, and he’s been a terrific signing.
Yeeah I completely agree. I meant it more in terms of that no one wanted him and we signed him to practically a try-out deal which we all thought was gonna be marlies depth.

Instead, he looks like he can be a constant physical presence for years to come in the bottom half.

Now we do not have to spend assets on bottom pairing beef and focus on top 4 beef

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. Look it, I am not happy with Tre’s work so far. I wasn’t happy with Dubas either, so I am not some Dubas fanboy. I don’t know, I just don’t think we had a good GM in a while. As for Benoit, yea, he has been great in the bottom pairing. We need more of his ilk.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - ???? (Brodie likely)
Benoit - ???? (Gio maybe/Lily likely)
Top 4 D needs big time help before playoffs start .. i think Tanev for Minten is pretty likely to go down + a 2nd/3rd draft pick + a Leafs d prospect .. is anyone here comfortable with Brodie/Gio and/or Lily right now???????????????????? i would still like to see another D man added on tope of tanev

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Top 4 D needs big time help before playoffs start .. i think Tanev for Minten is pretty likely to go down + a 2nd/3rd draft pick + a Leafs d prospect .. is anyone here comfortable with Brodie/Gio and/or Lily right now???????????????????? i would still like to see another D man added on tope of tanev
Get Larsson rather than Tanev. Brodie is much better on the left than the right these days.

Rielly - Larsson
Brodie - Lily
Benoit - McCabe.

This gives us three solid pairs that are all relatively two-way.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I don’t see it that way. He’s come out good numbers wise against both VGK and Colorado. Granted he was bad against Arizona but that was more of a blip considering how most of his season has gone.
dont know what your seeing but theres a definite drop off last couple games been a little sloppy by his simple standards but still above expectations for the start of the season

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If they can get him on a cost effective multi year deal, that’d be great.

Like 3 years, $2 AAV

He’s an RFA so they should try to drive a bargain

Reactions: arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Yeah, agreed. Lagesson too.

And it's not so much that Benoit and Lagesson are these home run pick ups. They're just smart and unglamorous maintenance jobs and just going after necessary player types that fill out a depth chart. He wasn't looking for an AHL guy who could be a poor man's Adam Fox.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. Look it, I am not happy with Tre’s work so far. I wasn’t happy with Dubas either, so I am not some Dubas fanboy. I don’t know, I just don’t think we had a good GM in a while. As for Benoit, yea, he has been great in the bottom pairing. We need more of his ilk.

What do you feel are the disastrous moves Treliving has made? A one year deal to Klingberg with a cap hit of ZERO thanks to Robidas Island?

Do you want to argue that Treliving overpaid by giving Jones a minimum salary deal and Benoit a minimum salary deal?

Are you upset that Treliving didn’t give up picks and prospects for Erik Karlson and his $11.5M boat anchor?

Reactions: arso40

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Or what? You’ll post a thread?
He's been dying to post that. Called it the moment he made it about Lil vs Benoit a couple weeks ago. What a pedestrian world.

He was quite good last night and it was high paced game so interesting to watch how he'd fare. Gap control was decent.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Worries me a bit we haven’t resigned him yet, his number isn’t going down that’s for sure. He is way smarter than I realized, showing more and more poise. Get er done.

Reactions: Dog

Obo

Nov 20, 2019
Every time somebody bumps this thread I see the title and think they've signed him long-term.

Then I realize it's referring to the original one-year signing...and oh well, guess it's just another day of watching his asking price climb. Hope we're not heading towards another Luke Schenn situation, where a useful piece gets priced out of our budget.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad