Post-Game Talk: Leafs Shutout 2-0

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I’m so confused, Hyman “works” on the first line because Matthews is such a talent that he can work with Hymand offensive play style. Now that Matthews is gone why exactly is a player with no offense our 1st line winger still? It’s shocking at this point. On what team is Hyman a 1st line winger other than the Leafs.....

This loss is NOT on Hyman and it’s not because Hyman is on the first line. But I’m just shocked our defence has dried up without Matthews, shouldn’t we be trying to throw out some of our best offensive threats together now? Ahhh so frustrating.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Babcock is playing a long game. Wild fans were incensed with Yeo's "unfair" treatment of Zucker--insisting he be responsible defensively or get sent down--but Zucker came out of it a much more effective offensive player once he learned to read the game in the defensive end. Nino, too, compared to Coyle's TOI was a sore subject but it was obviously meant to get Nino to stay responsible defensively. Worked. All about spot-picking IMO. If this approach works on the TOR forwards with their high ceilings as well as it did on Zucker, look out. think you're talking about expecting consistent 4-1 games as opposed to 6-5 wins or 2-3 losses.
Just suffer through the growing pains--they won't last long.
but Yeo isn't on the team any more. if he was so great for development, why is that the case?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The Leafs loss a low scoring tight checking game on the road, with their best player out. Isn't this the 5th game in 7 nights? The jump is not there.

Goal scoring is a problem for some players as they are having a lousy offensive year, and that is mostly the forwards. Heck, even Polak got a goal this season. Not his fault Minnesota scored, he was on the bench.

I think that is why Polak is in the line up and not Carrick. The low scoring game, Polak is who the coach trusts.

We’ve been playing crappy since the start of 5 in 7 nights. Also, you say the jump is not there because we have played 5 in 7 nights but we can’t draw in Carrick to add a little jump to a “tired” group? Lol

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I would do this. I love Babs but he needs to stop this insanity. If he's gonna have Komarov and Hyman playing top 9, he can't be giving them more ice-time than our skill players. Komarov on the pp is ****ing stupid.

I’d rather fire Babcock and keep Hyman. If we get a real coach like Quenville he will properly put Hyman in the bottom 6 where he will be a good player in that role.

Then Q will let our young guns play their skilled game and dominate offensively while Hyman and Komarov play their checking line roll.

Reactions: JayDog17

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
We have too many players on this team ingrained with too many coaching styles. Half the payers were built for a run and gun coach and are now being forced to play dump and chase. Time for everyone to get on the same page, management and players.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
but Yeo isn't on the team any more. if he was so great for development, why is that the case?
scapegoat? Zucker credited him after Yeo was gone. You can be a brilliant coach (Yeo wasn't that) and still get the boot because it's generally the easiest way to make a big impact on a team that disappoints.
Maybe he was ONLY good at development and sucked at matchups or whatever.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I have a gut feeling, based on nothing but A GUT FEELING, that Kapanen will have a better career than Marner. Marner is just so weak along the boards and he only has average speed. His wrist shot is beer league quality.

When he does his usual thing of having a clear shooting lane and deciding to make some pass that leads to a turnover, I get so frustrated that he doesn't shoot more.

Then I see him shoot and I feel like wow, please don't shoot again.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I see what you're saying but Komarov just doesn't have the acumen to play in a power play role. Brown is more than capable of retrieving the puck/providing a net front presence

Leo is better in that JVR spot in front of the net and take a better beating, imo

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
We've got a 1st and 2nd year player as regular Dmen. We've got what, Matthews, Brown, Nylander, Marner, Hyman, Leivo, Soshnikov and ??? up front, all in their 2nd year. Matthews being hurt for 7/8 games already? Yes, Freddy has stood on his head in Nov/Dec, but we've still scored a lot and our goal diff has improved, slowly, and we're not doing too badly in the standings. This with a couple of western swings, back to backs and little practice time. Ups and downs, yup! We are not a finished product.

Who is the second year player on our d? If you’re referring to Zaitsev he played years in the KHL and was Team Russia’s best d man before coming over. Soshnikov is not a regular in this line up and neither is Leivo.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
scapegoat? Zucker credited him after Yeo was gone. You can be a brilliant coach (Yeo wasn't that) and still get the boot because it's generally the easiest way to make a big impact on a team that disappoints.
Maybe he was ONLY good at development and sucked at matchups or whatever.
and of course it's possible to be a great coach and simply not mesh with your roster because your style isn't effective at getting the best results.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Nylander needs to shoot more.
Nylander needs to stop flubbing on shots. What happened to the guy. In his first short stint in the NHL guy looked like an amazing CENTER. Now he’s winger who is shooting worst that he did when he was 19..... Babs needs to stop with this yoyo act he’s doing with Nylander. Instead of losing while showing Willy you have no confidence in him, why not show confidence in our young 21 year old potential center and if we lose so be it.... It’s great that’s babcock has patience for guys like Hyman and Komarov but ffs can he atleast show that same level of patience for guys infinitely more important?

Reactions: supermann_98

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
Does anybody think that at some point Lou takes control of this situation and starts dealing Babcocks toys (Hyman Leo Polak) for below market value (ie anything he can get)just to get them away him?
What are the odds of Babcock turning into a resenting sour puss and management having to fire him any way?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I thought that last year, Brian Boyle taught them how to win?

We checked that box. They got "experience"

So what's the fuss?

You forgot to mention Kadri once being a negative influence on the club, being a party animal and a nuisance overall and changing his attitude. You forgot to check that box

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Whats this nonsnse of real coach Quienville? If he is so called a super coach, how come he has failed 2 playoffs in a row, is the game getting past him? Is he is the problem there?
Hawks fans wanted Bill Peters over him. Hmm pretty bad for a real coach.

Reactions: Paradoc

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Whats this nonsnse of real coach Quienville? If he is so called a super coach, how come he has failed 2 playoffs in a row, is the game getting past him? Is he is the problem there?
Hawks fans wanted Bill Peters over him. Hmm pretty bad for a real coach.
coaches don't last forever, even if they're good. if they did, Babcock would still be in Detroit probably

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I’m just tired of the coach taking the downfall for just about everything.. from Wilson to Carlyle ... now Babcock is taking so much heat despite the team’s overall success.

It’s elevated to a ridiculous level right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad