Post-Game Talk: Leafs Shutout 2-0

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
How many times did Nylander fan on his shot tonight ?

Tonight?

I've noticed this almost all season. He completely fans, or wiffs on his shot constantly. The puck will just trail off his stick or he goes to wrist it and it goes nowhere.

His little 'enter the zone with speed and curl back' is pretty tiring too.

Oh and his fly bys when forechecking.

I like the guy. Love the talent he has and I can see him putting it all together but man, has he ever been underwhelming this year for the most part.

Reactions: ThewThew

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They shouldn't have to when there are so many veterans in the line-up.

Veterans are letting the team down, the sophomores should be following good examples.

That's true, but outside of Matthews its the vets that are carrying the team offensively in terms of goals JVR (15 goals), Kadri (13 goals) & Marleau (11 goals) etc.

Marner and Nylander only have 1 ES 5v5 goals each after 33 games which is surprising low.

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
but Yeo isn't on the team any more. if he was so great for development, why is that the case?

ahh because some idiot with a cell phone caught him being an NHL coach and put it on the web, and with society being what it is today lost their collective shit about him being mean. this is why they close practices for the most part

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Not sure if Polak is the better option over Carrick.

seeing as they're starting to green light Borgman(guy has some serious puck skill) Polak is the safer choice as he's less likely to be caught out of position. Carrick still has a propensity to jack rabbit up the ice and leave the Leafs zone unprotected

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't know if you understand advanced stats but this is from tonites game.

All situations against the Wild
  • 70 CF ~ Leafs
  • 44 CA
  • 61.4% 12 CF%
  • 28 SCF ~ Leafs
  • 18 SCA
  • 60.87% SCF%
  • 13 HDCF ~ Leafs
  • 10 HDCA
  • 56.52% HDCF%

the only doubts I have about advanced stats is the data collection, how is it reviewed, who authenticates the accuracy, when a game is on do they have 40 guys in a room with stopwatches each following one player and charting his every move, or is it one guy trying to keep up to the speed of an NHL game.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Starting to get concerned that Mitch may not outscore Hyman. He seriously needs to change his thinking. On one hand I think he is afraid to shoot the puck because he does not have a hard shot but on the other he ripped it pretty good when he scored against the Bruins.

member 262271

Starting to get concerned that Mitch may not outscore Hyman. He seriously needs to change his thinking. On one hand I think he is afraid to shoot the puck because he does not have a hard shot but on the other he ripped it pretty good when he scored against the Bruins.
I'd think the number of assists he'll get alone will surpass Hyman's point total.

Reactions: Mugzy97

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
the only doubts I have about advanced stats is the data collection, how is it reviewed, who authenticates the accuracy, when a game is on do they have 40 guys in a room with stopwatches each following one player and charting his every move, or is it one guy trying to keep up to the speed of an NHL game.

Its from a stat tracking company, Im not sure how they go about collecting the stats. I know all the website use that database and apply the stats to there own sites, Corsica | Home, Natural Stat Trick, etc

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Its from a stat tracking company, Im not sure how they go about collecting the stats. I know all the website use that database and apply the stats to there own sites, Corsica | Home, Natural Stat Trick, etc

and that's the problem, nobody really knows how it's collected and nobody can confirm it's accuracy level whether it's 50% accurate or 100% accurate, anyway that's a topic for a different thread

now back to our regularly scheduled program and the NHL's greatest show

Who's fault is it now? or Babcock needs to listen to the fans, cause that's what got him here

rock on:naughty:

Reactions: coupe93

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I don't because the statement is vague comes out of the blue and has no real point of reference

Stalocks first SO, if so it's not true

first time Leafs SO this year? maybe but not sure, although now that I looked it up it probably refers to that
Yes our first SO. Which is rather impressive actually. 30+ games without being shutout.

Reactions: therealkoho

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
and that's the problem, nobody really knows how it's collected and nobody can confirm it's accuracy level whether it's 50% accurate or 100% accurate, anyway that's a topic for a different thread

now back to our regularly scheduled program and the NHL's greatest show

Who's fault is it now? or Babcock needs to listen to the fans, cause that's what got him here

rock on:naughty:
I am sure you can find out how the stats are collected,etc, I have never asked or looked into it.

I put about 10 people on ignore after last game, always the same people whining after every game about.

• Babcock
  • play by play guys
  • the system
  • line up
  • Hyman, Leo or Polak
  • shots on goal
  • team is boring
  • etc

Reactions: coupe93

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I’m just tired of the coach taking the downfall for just about everything.. from Wilson to Carlyle ... now Babcock is taking so much heat despite the team’s overall success.

It’s elevated to a ridiculous level right now
Pretty sure people here care more about Nylander and Matthews ppg than the winning.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
why did he get 4 minutes of PP time if we don't want to use him for offense?
also it doesn't really matter what the QoC is if he can't handle it whatsoever. Yeah I don't blame him for being garbage against great players, but he's still garbage and that's no reason to not change things

Before that Minny game we were 1 for 10 in our last 10 PP, the people who were on the PP were not getting the job done, so Babcock did as coaches will do, he took off the guys who were supposed to drive offence and he rewarded people he felt were doing their job.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Marner can't even legally buy a beer in the USA.

This "patient" fan base needs to lay off and let him develop.
Yes. This is his second year, and people already want him scratched when he was our best player for a while after Matthews got injured.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If Marner, Nylander, Bozak, and JVR constantly get called out for being one-dimensional, so should Leo.

Uh, he is one dimensional, he is a match up winger with very little offence. What I was questioning is why are people expecting a horse to fly? You can put wings on the horse but its still horse.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Just a thought.... when Kadri's game was transformed by Babcock, into being a responsible two way player, it took him, what half a season for it to click? He had almost no offence, and we were all over him. Perhaps that is the process the kids are going through, relearning their game, and then they'll have the handcuffs taken off too....

Reactions: Mugzy97

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Yes. This is his second year, and people already want him scratched when he was our best player for a while after Matthews got injured.

He needs to sit a game to take a break and get his mind reset. Constantly throwing him out there with every rando line combo hasn't been working.

You guys act like a 20 year old getting scratched would make him auto-bust.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Before that Minny game we were 1 for 10 in our last 10 PP, the people who were on the PP were not getting the job done, so Babcock did as coaches will do, he took off the guys who were supposed to drive offence and he rewarded people he felt were doing their job.
But Komarov was on the PP and hasn't gotten it done?

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
In an ideal world, Komorov is a 2M a year player playing on the 4th line.
Uncle Leo was at his best in 2015-16 when he scored 19 goals and hit everything in sight. He has 3 goals this season and to my eyeballs is not hitting as much as he did earlier in his career. I haven't checked his hits per game, but I rarely see him blasting guys into the boards anymore, especially d-men after a dump.

On the positive side, Leo is great on the penalty kill but should NEVER be on the PP.

I used to luv Komarov's game but would rather see him traded at the deadline.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I doubt Komorov gets traded. We will be losing Bozak and JVR already. He does make an ideal 3/4th liner for next year and he won't demand too much to stay. Sophmore jinx has hit! It will take some vet leadership to pull out of this. Komorov needs to find that fire again.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I doubt Komorov gets traded. We will be losing Bozak and JVR already. He does make an ideal 3/4th liner for next year and he won't demand too much to stay. Sophmore jinx has hit! It will take some vet leadership to pull out of this. Komorov needs to find that fire again.

Trading JVR is very risky because he is a legit 30 goals a season player. I can understand why you feel that way because JVR frustrates me as well defensively. He's basically the same lazy guy who played with Bozak and Kessel on that negative +/_ line that never back-checked.

I luv his offense but hate his laziness. I can't see them paying him 6.5-7M a year. That said, some team definitely will pay him big money. My guess is he will get a 5/35M deal from an organization lacking in goal scorers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad