Proposal: Leafs - Sens

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
I know these two teams would never trade but.....

Mark Stone (extended 8M x 6yrs)

for

William Nylander + Josh Leivo + 2019 2nd

Rationale: Nylander is a top line winger who isn't signed. He has the skill to be a PPG player and could possibly transition into a C.

Stone wants out of Ottawa as per a rumour. The Leafs get a two-way winger who can put up points and let Matthews run wild on offense. Stone holds more value than Nylander, but the difference is made up with the 2nd and then they get Leivo, a fringe NHL player, to replace one of their current AHL players on the roster.

I know both fan bases will hate this, so let's hear it.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

for

Rationale: Nylander is a top line winger who isn't signed. He has the skill to be a PPG player and could possibly transition into a C.

Stone wants out of Ottawa as per a rumour. The Leafs get a two-way winger who can put up points and let Matthews run wild on offense. Stone holds more value than Nylander, but the difference is made up with the 2nd and then they get Leivo, a fringe NHL player, to replace one of their current AHL players on the roster.

Leafs honestly cannot afford to pay $8 mil on a winger when they have to sign Matthews and Marner, even though I'd love to have Stone.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
^^^ they arent going to be able to afford an 8 millon dollar cap hit on top of paying Matthews 10+ next year and Marner likely somewhere in the 7-8.5 range.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Leafs honestly cannot afford to pay $8 mil on a winger when they have to sign Matthews and Marner, even though I'd love to have Stone.
My thought process is this: If Nylander signs long term, let's say 8 years, you have to figure it's going to be 7M. So if Gardiner isn't signed next year, Dermott can take his place and that opens up 5M on top of the current 13M the Leafs have. Obviously that's going to be gone next season with Matthews and Marner signing, but then Marleau is off the books next year.

It'd take some juggling but I think it's possible to fit him in.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Nylander isn't available.
Not even for a Selke candidate? The Leafs biggest issue is in their own zone (i know it's been overblown) but if you get someone like Stone, IMO I don't think you need to get a major upgrade on D because you know he'll shut down the opposing line.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Not even for a Selke candidate? The Leafs biggest issue is in their own zone (i know it's been overblown) but if you get someone like Stone, IMO I don't think you need to get a major upgrade on D because you know he'll shut down the opposing line.

Not even for a Selke candidate.

member 157595

Melnyk and Dorion would probably rather lose Stone for free than trade him to Toronto.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
That cheap piece of crap would probably avoid the waiver wire like the plague unless he needed it to reach the floor.
Stone + Duchene to VGK for a 5th and a 3 night stay at the MGM? Ottawa retains 50% on both contracts to hit the floor

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
I'm a Leafs fan and even I can't stand seeing the league's worst owner deliberately and maliciously destroy a once proud rival. As a hockey fan, it makes me angry.

I ****ing guarantee you that Melynk steals the damn bread from buffets.
I hate the Sens because I've been a Leafs fan for 20 years. But I agree, it just makes me sad that this is the state of the Battle for Ontario. Melnyk is the worst thing to ever happen to the Sens. I hope to the hockey gods that he sells the team and someone who is competent comes in and rights the ship.

Reactions: OmniCube

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Stupid response for a stupid question

I'd stop saying it if people stopped including him in trades. By all accounts the Leafs will be not only signing him but also keeping him long-term.

Until that changes and I hear from either Nylander [agent] or Dubas, I will continue to shoot down dumb proposals where we constantly lose because people don't realize the true value of Nylander.

Reactions: Holymakinaw

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

for

The age difference is what kills this deal IMO.
Stone is 5 years older. He is (IMO) a bit but not a lot better than Nylander, and Nylander still has years to grow.
If we are going all in on this year, a deal near the deadline for a pick+mid tier prospects id be down for.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Kadri - Stone
Leivo - Lindholm - Kappanen

Gives us 3 legit lines that are most team top line comparable.
**Drool**

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

for

If Nylander gets moved....DEFENSE!!!!~

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

for

No reason why these Teams won't trade, they have fairly recently.
That said, the Leafs don't make this trade.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Stone is a much better player than Nylander. Scoring is subjective, since Stone does not have the strong 1C like Matthews, but he plays a much more solid Defence.

Yet, this deal makes little sense for the Leafs. Nylander might be available due to their inability to get a deal in the $6M-$7M range. This would allow more cap space for Matthews and Marner.

Stone at $8M is idiotic from a financial standpoint. If they can afford $8M, they might as well keep Nylander giving him the money. Adding Leivo and 2nd is more lopsided.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad