Friedman: Leafs, Sens linked to Jensen

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Well Leafs just got McCabe

Hopefully Sens pull it off. We need better D
I'd want an extension in place right away if I'm the Sens.
Not sure what the point is if we're not getting him extended.
Yeah agreed. Good fit if extended, but Sens shouldn't be in on a bidding war for him as a rental.

What does Toronto have left to send Washington? A gift basket everytime Ovie scores?
Save on shipping and send 82 gift baskets now.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Yeah Dubas isn’t done. He’s all in, would not be surprised at all if he gets Jensen or Schenn. Kerfoot would have to go out in another move to make the money work.

If it’s Jensen, Holl likely is the 7th guy up. If it’s Schenn then Holl sticks around the 6th spot in the line-up either way Holl and Kerfoot are clearly getting squeezed

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Would Washington add to Jensen for Sandin?
Absolutely not. Sandin is not as sought after as LaLaLeafLand seems to think.

Might as well go all in if you're Dubas now

To Toronto-
Tom Wilson 50% retained
Nic Jensen

To Washington-
2024 1st Round Pick
Rasmus Sandin
Matthew Knies
Pierre Engvall
Justin Holl
Yeah we’ll just agree to NOT do this nor discuss it. Nothing in that pile is enticing for Washington in trading Wilson at 50%.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

Yeah we’ll just agree to NOT do this nor discuss it. Nothing in that pile is enticing for Washington in trading Wilson at 50%.
You seem relatively bias at the least

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You seem relatively bias at the least
I absolutely am. There’s still ABSOLUTELY ZERO chance the Capitals ADD to Nick Jensen (a clear and established Top 4 Defenseman) for Rasmus Sandin (who is clearly not).

The Capitals are also not going to trade Tom Wilson for prospects and late picks. They’re certainly not going to retain on his contract and trade him in a package with Nick Jensen for uninspiring futures.

The Leafs first NEXT YEAR will likely be late in the round. Knies is a college prospect, there are plenty who have looked just as good or better and outright busted (remeber Tyler Biggs? I’m sure you don’t), Sandin may be a Top 4 DMan someday, Holl and Engvall are worthless to the Capitals. If there are that many pieces in your offer for Wilson it’s a sign the pieces themselves aren’t going to make the trade happen. This is not enticing for the Capitals at all and there will be better offers if Wilson is available with at least One A++ piece which is not in this Leaf’s package.

Reactions: Serial_Derecho

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I absolutely am. There’s still ABSOLUTELY ZERO chance the Capitals ADD to Nick Jensen (a clear and established Top 4 Defenseman) for Rasmus Sandin (who is clearly not).

The Capitals are also not going to trade Tom Wilson for prospects and late picks. They’re certainly not going to retain on his contract and trade him in a package with Nick Jensen for uninspiring futures.

The Leafs first NEXT YEAR will likely be late in the round. Knies is a college prospect, there are plenty who have looked just as good or better and outright busted (remeber Tyler Biggs? I’m sure you don’t), Sandin may be a Top 4 DMan someday, Holl and Engvall are worthless to the Capitals. If there are that many pieces in your offer for Wilson it’s a sign the pieces themselves aren’t going to make the trade happen. This is not enticing for the Capitals at all and there will be better offers if Wilson is available with at least One A++ piece which is not in this Leaf’s package.

The Leafs wouldn't move Sandin for Jensen for multiple reasons, not the least of which is Jensen is a pending UFA.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast

No, but I remember Matt Gilroy and I wish I didn't.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012

Leafs wouldn't trade Sandin for a 30+ year old rental. Also you'd be lucky to get a young potential top 4 D for a rental d man.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Leafs wouldn't trade Sandin for a 30+ year old rental. Also you'd be lucky to get a young potential top 4 D for a rental d man.
I don’t want Sandin and never suggested the Capitals trade for him. I was commenting on the fact that the Capitals would not add to Nick Jensen for Sandin which they would not. The Capitals are a veteran team about to turn to a rebuild, if they trade a current Top 4D they either need high quality futures or a current replacement capable of playing in their Top 4. Sandin is neither of those things today. If the Capitals traded Jensen they would not add for Sandin because he is not a piece they would value over a current and contributing veteran. It’s really that simple.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I'm fine with the Sens trading for Jensen as long as it doesn't involve a 1st round pick, or a good prospect (Greig or Ostapchuk). I'm ok trading a combination of picks (2nd round or later), and/or a lesser prospect like Thomson or JBD. Those players / picks usually turn out to be dime a dozen players at best if they even make it.

Reactions: SensFactor

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Jensen would be a pure rental unless he wants to extend with the Sens.

We are in the race, but don't want to give up good assets for a rental.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Friedman should start his own gossip column. He has sunk to the lows of Dreger and Eklund. Turned into pure garbage posts he made up out of thin air. He is officially a hack.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Points aren't everything. Yet Jensen has produced zero points in the 26 playoff games he's played.

If I'm looking at it from the Senators perspective, this is a guy on an expiring deal who will add value to the blue line, but is not a needle-mover. I'd stay in it long enough to drive the ask up and make Toronto overpay.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I don’t want Sandin and never suggested the Capitals trade for him. I was commenting on the fact that the Capitals would not add to Nick Jensen for Sandin which they would not. The Capitals are a veteran team about to turn to a rebuild, if they trade a current Top 4D they either need high quality futures or a current replacement capable of playing in their Top 4. Sandin is neither of those things today. If the Capitals traded Jensen they would not add for Sandin because he is not a piece they would value over a current and contributing veteran. It’s really that simple.
Top 4 vs number 4 is a substantial difference. Neither on Washington nor Toronto is Nick Jensen a "Top 4" defenseman capable of justifying anything beyond the number 4 slot. I think on a contending club Jensen's a bottom six pairing defenseman with #4 slot spot-duty serviceability; Bottom 3 vs Top 3 distinction should be made in forthright exchanges concerning Jensen.

Rasmus Sandin is trending into a legitimate #3 possibly #2 defenseman. His production (now) is better than Jensen's every was and he's emerging with surprising physicality. From your characterization of Sandin, I don't think you've watched him play. His trend line is very encouraging and far, far ahead of where Jensen was at the same age and stage of his career.

In no scenario would I trade Sandin for Jensen unless there was substantial addition from the Capitals.

The trade deadline tends to bring out emotional valuations in ALL fan bases.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Points aren't everything. Yet Jensen has produced zero points in the 26 playoff games he's played.

If I'm looking at it from the Senators perspective, this is a guy on an expiring deal who will add value to the blue line, but is not a needle-mover. I'd stay in it long enough to drive the ask up and make Toronto overpay.

The problem with that strategy is Toronto acquired Jake McCabe so I don't think you can make them overpay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad