Post-Game Talk: Leafs @ Sens - 3/12/16 - Ya'll got anymore of them kids? - White Van Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Those leafs kids are really good.

8CAqx04.gif

What did I learn tonight?

1. Soshnikov is Russian
  2. Soshnikov doesn't speak good English
  3. But his English might be better than he puts on
  4. But his English probably isn't very good
  5. But he gets under players skin so he might speak good English
  6. But his English is poor, because you know, he's Russian
  7. Nobody knew his name a month ago
  8. He is now the most feared player in the league
  9. Did I mention his English isn't very good?
  10. Soshnikov can shoot a puck
  11. Soshnikovs English may be better than he puts on, but maybe not, we aren't sure
  12. Did you see that? Soshnikov shot from a nearly 0% location, it was the most glorious shot we have seen all game, from 80 ft out and missing the net even
  13. Did you know that the Leafs are mainly young players?
  14. Soshnikov is Russian

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
What did I learn tonight?

1. Soshnikov is Russian
  2. Soshnikov doesn't speak good English
  3. But his English might be better than he puts on
  4. But his English probably isn't very good
  5. But he gets under players skin so he might speak good English
  6. But his English is poor, because you know, he's Russian
  7. Nobody knew his name a month ago
  8. He is now the most feared player in the league
  9. Did I mention his English isn't very good?
  10. Soshnikov can shoot a puck
  11. Soshnikovs English may be better than he puts on, but maybe not, we aren't sure
  12. Did you see that? Soshnikov shot from a nearly 0% location, but man, does he have a shot
  13. Did you know that the Leafs are mainly young players?
  14. Soshnikov is Russian

utah

Apr 12, 2006
The Soshnikov love was way over the top....

but, when you're trying to polish a turd ( the Leafs ) you work with what you've got.

Sadly for the Leafs, that means a whole game of non-stop Soshnikov talk from the announcers.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
What's more annoying; the Leaf homer announcers drooling over Soshnikov all game, or the Ryan haters on the board complaining about him after a 4-0 stomp of the Leafs?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Still watching the game, but my god I can't take anymore soshnikov. The kid has done nothing.

Also can't take anymore Kostka-Wideman. Seems to be mostly Kostka

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
@Flamingo (from the GDT)

Shot differential really opened up in the 3rd, which could mostly be attributed to score effect. Did you see the line we iced for the final power play? We weren't trying to score anymore.

A couple penalties against us were weak calls. And they got away with some dodgy stuff.

I root for most young goalies to do well. I don't like Sparks's super-aggressive positioning. He's giving up way too much ice behind him. Maybe this is Babcock's way of training his defencemen to tie up everyone within 30 feet of the net, because if they don't, it's going in the net.

Shots by Period were:

Leafs: 7, 11, 11

Sens: 7, 6, 4

After the 2nd period the score was only 2-0 and we had already started to not play well. I think Cameron putting out our 4th line on the PP had more to do with the 1st/2nd units doing absolutely nothing than trying not to run up the score.

Our 4th line seemed to be the only group capable of sustaining any offensive zone pressure. (Note: War-on-Ice confirms that Lazar/Paul/Neil were are only even Corsi players, everyone else was well in the negatives)

War on Ice has the shot attempts at 66/36 for the Leafs over the Sens. 41% of our zone starts were in the O-zone.

I get what you're saying about the score effect, but it wasn't until the beginning of the 3rd that we had a 3-0 lead. It's not like it was 4-0 after the 1st period. There is no reason why we shouldn't have been able to take it to the leafs for an entire 60 minutes, they are icing one of the worst rosters in the entire league and we couldn't even manage a complete effort against them.

If I'm the leafs I'm extremely happy with the effort we put in vs a much more talented opponent. You chalk the loss up to the lack of experience in net and congratulate everyone on a game well played.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Is Smith going to give a little kickback to Stone when he signs his next contract?

Stone has the "Spezza Effect" going hard, eh? He's going to make a lot of guys a lot of money during his career. I'll bet Greening sends Spezza a Xmas card every year. Stone is on Smith and Pageau's list for life.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
@Flamingo (from the GDT)

Shot differential really opened up in the 3rd, which could mostly be attributed to score effect. Did you see the line we iced for the final power play? We weren't trying to score anymore.

A couple penalties against us were weak calls. And they got away with some dodgy stuff.

I root for most young goalies to do well. I don't like Sparks's super-aggressive positioning. He's giving up way too much ice behind him. Maybe this is Babcock's way of training his defencemen to tie up everyone within 30 feet of the net, because if they don't, it's going in the net.

Shots by Period were:

Leafs: 7, 11, 11

Sens: 7, 6, 4

After the 2nd period the score was only 2-0 and we had already started to not play well. I think Cameron putting out our 4th line on the PP had more to do with the 1st/2nd units doing absolutely nothing than trying not to run up the score.

Our 4th line seemed to be the only group capable of sustaining any offensive zone pressure. (Note: War-on-Ice confirms that Lazar/Paul/Neil were are only even Corsi players, everyone else was well in the negatives)

War on Ice has the shot attempts at 66/36 for the Leafs over the Sens. 41% of our zone starts were in the O-zone.

I get what you're saying about the score effect, but it wasn't until the beginning of the 3rd that we had a 3-0 lead. It's not like it was 4-0 after the 1st period. There is no reason why we shouldn't have been able to take it to the leafs for an entire 60 minutes, they are icing one of the worst rosters in the entire league and we couldn't even manage a complete effort against them.

If I'm the leafs I'm extremely happy with the effort we put in vs a much more talented opponent. You chalk the loss up to the lack of experience in net and congratulate everyone on a game well played.
This is the kind of thing that confirms my skepticism about these nerd stats. This was an easy win for Ottawa. The Leafs rarely looked capable of scoring a goal, let alone winning the game. I get a little sick of the Sens being outshot all the time, but this was one time the opponent's shots were mostly routine and unthreatening. Nice to see Anderson get the shutout, but he didn't even work up a sweat.

Last edited:

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
This is the kind of thing that confirms my skepticism about these nerd stats. This was an easy win for Ottawa. The Leafs rarely looked capable of scoring a goal, let alone winning the game. I get a little sick of the Sens being outshot all the time, but this was one time the opponent's shots were mostly routine and unthreatening. Nice to see Anderson get the shutout, but he didn't even work up a sweat.

I'm the furthest thing from a "stats nerd." It was an "easy" win because the talent level of the Ottawa roster is levels above that of Toronto. Especially goaltending.

We're just lucky we didn't give up a softie when it was 2-0 because then the game could have turned out completely differently.

We barely tried this game and came out with a 4-0 win because we have an NHL roster and the Leafs don't. Play like this against basically every other team in the NHL and result would not be the same, much like it has been for the whole entire season.

I just don't want to see people getting disillusioned by this win and thinking that next game somehow things are going to be different. They're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad