Leafs scapegoat this season?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I haven't been on these forums for a while because 1 there was a lockout and 2 is because everyday you come on here you see 1 player from the team getting all the blame for everything going wrong. I usually defend the whipping boy and give good reasons why that player isn't to be blamed for everything just because it's a team game and our teams have been awful for many years. I'm just wondering who the whipping boy/scapegoat is this season so far? My guess is Phaneuf because it seems like it's always a D-Man who gets all the blame for everything

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
im so use to blaming the goaltending but i cant as reimer has been very solid this year..i blame the lack of depth on defense

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
ahhh the bozak syndrome

Exactly.

Kostka would be great on the 2nd or 3rd pair, he really isn't bad at all. These days it's Leafs lose=Kostkas fault. So annoying.

Kostka is better than (improved) Komisarek IMO and especially at his price tag. Definitely deserves a spot on the team.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
It's far and away Mike Kostka.

I like Kostka and think he has been playing very well. But like a lot of new guys they get forced to play more then they should. I'd prefer Franson on the 1st PP unit with Phaneuf so we have 2 guys who can shoot the puck hard and 1 who can hit it. Kessel has been a huge dissapointment for me so far. He has made some decent defensive plays so far which have surprised me but he's just gonna end up being another Ovi because he is just to predictable and afraid to go to the dirty areas.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Blame Betteman for making us play this year...most of the team thought they had the year off!!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think it has to be Carlyle for using Kostka, and not giving enough ice time to Kadri and Frattin, and Bozak for Kessel skating around and shooting like Jason, and Grabovski for not being a 6'3", Canadian.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Id say there's a difference between a scapegoat and a whipping boy, one you can pin everything on, the other just gets trashed a lot

The scapegoat is a wagon led by Kessel and Phaneuf.

While neither has really earned the title, id say, Phaneuf would be an easier target because of the C and he's on defense.

There is a +/- thread about Phaneuf, so that's gotta tell you something

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
Scapegoat? The Leafs are hovering around 7-11th place, exactly where we all thought they'd be. Little early for this crap.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
The fans....for making something out of nothing.

There's not one Leaf fan who can honestly say, "we're playing worse than I thought we would be." If anything we're playing better than expected.

Scapegoat? You use a scapegoat as an out when something doesn't go as planned. Everything's been going swimmingly if you ask me.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kostka - is kind of crappy but I think he'd thrive being partnered up with a smarter defenseman and playing less minutes.

MacArthur is a personal whipping boy of mine. He just seems to fancy himself a much better player that he doesn't have to work especially hard doing anything.

Grabovski - shows a bit of hustle every three games and scores a goal and people love him. But he's completely unreliable as a five million dollar man.

Kessel - is a big target for not bringing the one major thing he's supposed to deliver. That said, I generally like him, though it is frustrating to see him spend so much energy out there flying around without being able to adapt to game situations by using his head, instead of that Ovechkin-like instinct, which is really letting him down.

Reimer - no complaints from me this year, he's really come in and worked at his game, although I will say he clearly isn't a "backbone" type goalie who will steal wins, but very few goalies should be expected to do that.

Liles - beyond useless.

Phaneuf - I guess he's just a really limited player who can't play the minutes he does. How he doesn't make adjustments to his shot is beyond me. He neutralizes his own effectiveness with his lack of brain.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it has to be Carlyle for using Kostka, and not giving enough ice time to Kadri and Frattin, and Bozak for Kessel skating around and shooting like Jason, and Grabovski for not being a 6'3", Canadian.

Not being 6'3" and Canadian is the least of Grabovski's problems. He should get a schedule and try showing up to more than half of Leaf games.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Unless your name is JVR, Kadri, Komarov, Kulemin, McClement or Reimer, you have a reasonable chance of being a scapegoat at this point in time - should probably be important to point out that the season is only 9 games old for the team. Leafs fans have magical powers. At this rate, even this shortened season is going to seem VERY long.

So far, it's been nice not having to worry about goaltending but why the hell can't it all just click together for once?

ForSpareParts*

Kostka is unfairly being blamed by fans.
He's been good as far as I can tell. So what if he's not an offensive dynamo on the PP. He's playing a lot better than the other D.

The real blame should be on some of our new contracts:

Liles - I have no idea why we signed a guy like him when we have so many other players like him in the system (not including Rielly).

Grabo - Streaky. Half of the time he takes a night off. So frustrating.

Then there's the guy who's set us back 5 years:

Kessel

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
How is Kostka the scapegoat? :laugh:

He sucks on the PP...but he is still very good in his zone...that Skinner goal was saved because of him (granted the Ref didn't call a penalty shot) and he saved a 100% breakaway chance to Semin by noticing that Semin was open and slide to block that puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad