Proposal: Leafs - Sabres

SavageMatthews34

Nov 21, 2017
To Toronto: Taylor Hall (50% Retained), Linus Ullmark

To Buffalo: 2021 1st Rounder, 2022 3rd Conditional (Changes to 2nd if Leafs advance out of North Div), Freddy Andersen, Filip Hallander, Joey Anderson.

Leafs Lines:

Hyman Matthews Marner
Hall Tavares Nylander
Engvall Kerfoot Mikheyev
Thornton Spezza Simmonds
Galchenyuk

Reilly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogosian
Sandin

Campbell Ullmark

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Ulmark isn't available. He's the Sabres starting goalie and they don't have a replacement for him the next two years. I'd rather take a chance on re-signing him than trading him with the delusional expectation that he'll come back in the offseason after being traded

Trade value is fundamentally poor. Kick rocks

And no, the Sabres aren't tanking. They're playing through a season missing for extended periods their franchise center, shut down defenseman, starting goalie, backup goalie, secondary scorers, and also had a two week bout with COVID going through the entire team, and employing a nitwit incompetent coach

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

To Buffalo: 2021 1st Rounder, 2022 3rd Conditional (Changes to 2nd if Leafs advance out of North Div), Freddy Andersen, Filip Hallander, Joey Anderson.

Leafs Lines:

Hyman Matthews Marner
Hall Tavares Nylander
Engvall Kerfoot Mikheyev
Thornton Spezza Simmonds
Galchenyuk

Reilly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogosian
Sandin

Campbell Ullmark
Starts with Robertson if it's Ullmark and Hall.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Im curious to know why sabres fans say no to an ullmark trade? Ur getting good assets for a pending UFA, who could leave for free at the end of the season. Why say no if u guys are clearly tanking? Re sign him in the offseason if you want him so bad
Well I as a Sabres fan want to sign him and if it takes till July 28 so be it.He is our ONLY goalie in the system that can play at NHL level and is our number 1.We have a winning record with him in net which is incredible itself.Lastly with the young players finally getting a chance and playing well it would send a horrible message to the team.Also I might add it is very very rare for a team to trade a player and resign him.Not taking that chance

Reactions: banks and TS Quint

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Leafs Lines:

Hyman Matthews Marner
Hall Tavares Nylander
Engvall Kerfoot Mikheyev
Thornton Spezza Simmonds
Galchenyuk

Reilly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Dermott Bogosian
Sandin

Campbell Ullmark

I don't believe that works from a cap perspective for the Leafs. Hall is still $4m. Ullmark is $2.6m.
Andersen is $5m, and while the acquisition of Hall would displace one person from the Leafs lineup/roster, that person likely makes no more than Pierre Engvall at $1.25m; leaving Toronto about $400k short, and realistically a little more than that because I don't think the Leafs are prepared to lose Engvall on waivers.

That being said, this should be a home run for Buffalo assuming Ullmark has told them he's going to market. 1st Round pick for Hall. 2nd/3rd, plus 2 prospects, plus Andersen for Ullmark.

SavageMatthews34

Nov 21, 2017
I don't believe that works from a cap perspective for the Leafs. Hall is still $4m. Ullmark is $2.6m.
Andersen is $5m, and while the acquisition of Hall would displace one person from the Leafs lineup/roster, that person likely makes no more than Pierre Engvall at $1.25m; leaving Toronto about $400k short, and realistically a little more than that because I don't think the Leafs are prepared to lose Engvall on waivers.

That being said, this should be a home run for Buffalo assuming Ullmark has told them he's going to market. 1st Round pick for Hall. 2nd/3rd, plus 2 prospects, plus Andersen for Ullmark.
With a 20 man roster it actually leaves them about 500k under the cap, that means galchenyuk and sandin are on the taxi squad.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Ulmark isn't available. He's the Sabres starting goalie and they don't have a replacement for him the next two years. I'd rather take a chance on re-signing him than trading him with the delusional expectation that he'll come back in the offseason after being traded

And no, the Sabres aren't tanking. They're playing through a season missing for extended periods their franchise center, shut down defenseman, starting goalie, backup goalie, secondary scorers, and also had a two week bout with COVID going through the entire team, and employing a nitwit incompetent coach
I agree, and if any Sabres fans think they can game the system by trading him then signing him, that wont work. The odds of keeping him that way plummet

I don't think its that crazy to think players would re sign there. Things can turn around quickly in the NHL.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
With a 20 man roster it actually leaves them about 500k under the cap, that means galchenyuk and sandin are on the taxi squad.

So going down the stretch, we leave absolutely no provision for the potential that somebody who isn't waiver exempt (our entire team except for Galchenyuk right now), might go down with a minor injury...

As well, if that happens, and they play the 1 game with less than 18 skaters... they won't be able to bring up any of Robertson, Liljegren or Sandin, because they are all over the maximum salary for an emergency recall.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
I agree, and if any Sabres fans think they can game the system by trading him then signing him, that wont work. The odds of keeping him that way plummet

I don't think its that crazy to think players would re sign there. Things can turn around quickly in the NHL.

I hope so, because they haven't for Buffalo in like forever.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Presumably, it would be in the Sabres best interest to have made a decision on Ullmark (either signed extension, or that they're going to shop him) well in advance of the deadline.

It's not like they're "waiting to see" if he's going to beat Carter Hutton out for a job... there's nothing they're really going to "find out" between now and the end of the year.

Reactions: axlrose87

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I hope so, because they haven't for Buffalo in like forever.
I think the conditions are approaching. The biggest one are for their young core to mature. It's better than it's ever been during this rebuild but key members haven't put it together. Middlestat and of course Dahlin. Cozens. Maybe next year is still too early.

I bet Ullmark knows this too. I bet he re signs.

SavageMatthews34

Nov 21, 2017
So going down the stretch, we leave absolutely no provision for the potential that somebody who isn't waiver exempt (our entire team except for Galchenyuk right now), might go down with a minor injury...

As well, if that happens, and they play the 1 game with less than 18 skaters... they won't be able to bring up any of Robertson, Liljegren or Sandin, because they are all over the maximum salary for an emergency recall.
I think the leafs are smart enough and well managed to operate under a 20 man roster, many teams have been doing this, also its only needed until playoffs start after that cap doesnt matter. Dont think its that far fetched to think they can make it work?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think the leafs are smart enough and well managed to operate under a 20 man roster, many teams have been doing this, also its only needed until playoffs start after that cap doesnt matter. Dont think its that far fetched to think they can make it work?

We're on a forum, sharing ideas, the "response" that well the Leafs are smart enough to make that work, doesn't really work. There are teams running with 21 man rosters, not sure who's running with a 20.

SavageMatthews34

Nov 21, 2017
We're on a forum, sharing ideas, the "response" that well the Leafs are smart enough to make that work, doesn't really work. There are teams running with 21 man rosters, not sure who's running with a 20.
If this is really a big concern. Im sure we can make another move to ship out kerfoots salary, we can replace Kerfoot on the third line and also give us some cap breathing room

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
I think the conditions are approaching. The biggest one are for their young core to mature. It's better than it's ever been during this rebuild but key members haven't put it together. Middlestat and of course Dahlin. Cozens. Maybe next year is still too early.

I bet Ullmark knows this too. I bet he re signs.

Resigning Ullmark should be a top priority for the Sabres. They could also trade him now gain a draft pick or prospect and still sign him in the summer.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Not for the two of them.

Try a '21 first. a '22 2nd, Engvall, and Hutchinson (Signed through '22 so can be either protected or exposed in the expansion draft) for Ullmark and Hall (Salary retained).

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Don’t even want Hall on this team unless it’s 50% retained and they take Kerfoot

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I dont want Hall. At all.

i'll take Ullmark though, he isnt at the top of my goalie target list but he would be a good option to platoon with Campbell.

i wouldnt trade a 1st for him as a rental though. i would do a 2nd+, tops. and/or just look at him in UFA.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

The Sabres are most definitely tanking. There's just no way this is by accident, surely.

Reactions: axlrose87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad