Leafs roster depth

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Just looking at the roster depth chart and should we not be making a puch for this Drouin kid? We have very little depth at LW
Specially if we trade JVR

What realistic options do we have this summer? Ufa/trade?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Just looking at the roster depth chart and should we not be making a puch for this Drouin kid? We have very little depth at LW

We have lots of LW depth though they are young.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
The reason I don't think we should go after Drouin is the make up of our prospect pool: 6 of our top 7 prospects (Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Brown, Johnson, and Timashov) are small, skilled forwards. That's based on the Leaf board poll.

If we're going to give up big assets for a good piece, I think it should fill one of our real organizational needs: D, forwards with size and skill (preferably a center), or a young goalie with good potential.

By the way, if you look at our roster we need to add talent at EVERY position, LW is certainly not more of a problem than any other even without considering our prospects.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Not interested in moving the assets Tampa might want.
If they give him away, ok. We could have JVR and Laine at LW. That's fine. We need to upgrade the D and center depth.

Mad Brills*

They have to go after a top 4 RH non zaitsev D man this summer.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Drouin has the potential to be an elite LW though, something we don't have in prospects. In my opinion he is on par with Nylander and Marner. But, Tampa isn't going to sell him on the cheap, and I doubt we could package up quantity for their quality... I just don't see how we get pull off such a deal. Would they go for Pittsburgh's first?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
add Dzierkals, Leivo and Leipsic to that list as well

Oh yeah i understand that. I just posted a link. Our forward depth is going to be really strong soon enough. Engvall too for that matter. RW is solid too.

It will get even stronger in these next couple draft too likely because the Best player available picking style indicates more forwards will be the ones on the board. ( i am assuming we will be top 4 this year and top 5 next year also).

Thats fine though because gooddefensemen and goaltending is regularly had in the 2nd round and lower.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Welll.. We can never say never. If the offer is better long term at this point the leafs management would trade him. No?

Yeah. JVR's contract only lasts for two more years. Then he's getting paid 7M, if he re-signs at all. Trade that situation now, don't wait for it to devalue even more.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yeah. JVR's contract only lasts for two more years. Then he's getting paid 7M, if he re-signs at all. Trade that situation now, don't wait for it to devalue even more.

I am not against trading anyone except Gards and Morgan on the current Roster. Having this management group affords me confidence they can do it right.

I am willing to suffer through a young rookie team and the inexperience factors that comes with icing a team like that. Then again it goes right back to confidence in Babcock bringing it along right.

Its a really opportunism concept to my thinking the long term build. The time is now to beat the dust out of the car mat.

Its my favourite hope for the team actually. Keeping veterans around is not a necessity for me at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad