Prospect Info: Leafs rookie comparison. With charted points.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
It's pretty hilarious to hear from Winnipeg and other fanbases that think they have best young core in the NHL.

It's the Leafs, and it's not even close.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
It's pretty hilarious to hear from Winnipeg and other fanbases that think they have best young core in the NHL.

I think it depends on how old you consider the threshold is for being young. If it's 23, the age the NHL used for the young guns at the World Cup, then Winnipeg has a legit claim with Scheifele, Laine, Trouba, Morrissey, Dano, Petan, and Hellebuyck.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Opportunity has a lot to do with the success of these rookies as well.

Guys like Brown, Hyman and Zaitsev might not be in the same roles if they were with a different team that was full of veteran contracts.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think it depends on how old you consider the threshold is for being young. If it's 23, the age the NHL used for the young guns at the World Cup, then Winnipeg has a legit claim with Scheifele, Laine, Trouba, Morrissey, Dano, Petan, and Hellebuyck.

You forgot Ehlers drafted 1 spot after Nylander.

Scheifele (48 points, Laine (40) and Ehlers (44) verses Matthews (39), Marner (39) and Nylander (31) would be a good debate with Jets trio winning on points right now.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
You forgot Ehlers drafted 1 spot after Nylander.

Scheifele (48 points, Laine (40) and Ehlers (44) verses Matthews (39), Marner (39) and Nylander (31) would be a good debate with Jets trio winning on points right now.

Yep, and we haven't even mentioned their prospects. Connor will be a beast sooner rather than later.

Mar 14, 2011

Dont be ridiculous, Winnipeg absolutely owns the Leafs on both forward and defence. The blame for their struggles should entirely be put on Paul Maurice, Michael Hutchinson and Connor Hellebuyck, their D and forwards on the other hand can absolutely do no wrong.:sarcasm:

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Dont be ridiculous, Winnipeg absolutely owns the Leafs on both forward and defence. The blame for their struggles should entirely be put on Paul Maurice, Michael Hutchinson and Connor Hellebuyck, their D and forwards on the other hand can absolutely do no wrong.:sarcasm:

I'd take the Toronto forwards over Winnipeg they have unreal depth past their rookies this year. Defense and goaltending Toronto is getting murdered by Winnipeg not even close

I mean I'd take the forward rookies + prospects of Toronto not overall Forwards

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Yep, and we haven't even mentioned their prospects. Connor will be a beast sooner rather than later.

Kapanen looks to be on Connor's level right now.. if someone had said that at the beginning of the year I would've laughed, but with the way the season's gone I think it's clear that they're in the same tier.

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Kapanen looks to be on Connor's level right now.. if someone had said that at the beginning of the year I would've laughed, but with the way the season's gone I think it's clear that they're in the same tier.

Kasperi Kapanen, a forward, is on the same tier as Connor Hellebuyck a goalie?

I'm a little confused how you tier two different positions like that. Please explain if you don't mind.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Thanks guys...makes a lot more sense to me now haha

I honestly don't follow the Jets, didn't even know they had a guy with a last name Connor in the system.

Maybe I'll have to look him up though.

Thanks again for the info gents!

Mid first round pick in 2015, lit it up at college last year and it looked like he would make an impact in the NHL immediately, but he's struggled this year. Still has a lot of time to figure everything out and continue to develop, but he might not be quite on the level that people initially projected.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

True enough.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Mid first round pick in 2015, lit it up at college last year and it looked like he would make an impact in the NHL immediately, but he's struggled this year. Still has a lot of time to figure everything out and continue to develop, but he might not be quite on the level that people initially projected.

And the now defunct front page of this site rated Connor above Marner as prospect of the year. Well...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad