PP2:

Marleau
Kapanen - Nylander - Leivo
Gardiner

Sub Leivo with Johnny or Ennis depending on whos hot​

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I seem to think that too, the talent on ice in tavares, matthews, marner n rielly is way too much to have kadri or nylander as well. But i guess why fix something that aint broke.

I can see nylander, kadri, marleau, gardiner, and kapanen/leivo forming a formidable second unit though

Play kapanen or leivo in place of naz on the 1st.

That would work well too.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
PP2 needs less Brown and Ennis, and much more Kappy and Johnsson.

but Babcock is weird.
Weird? I prefer stupid. Bad enough it took him 2 years to figure out that Matthews+Marner = money.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Maybe some people have seen this, but I never have seen this in the NHL.

On Matthews 2nd goal of the game in Detroit, the Leafs had their number 1, 2, and 3 centers on the ice on the power play. Shit, when you consider the team number 3 center is a back to back 30 goal scorer, that is rather good looking power play.

They can pass it around, they can shoot it. Tavares plays big and Matthews is big, then they can bang home the rebound and make plays in tight.

Once they get possession in the offensive zone, it feels like game over for this power play almost.

It's going here, it's going there, it's going into the f***ing net!

Almost like a video game.

:p: <--- tonight's sore winner

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Obviously, the PP #1 this year has been dynamite. #2? Not so much. But how will things will shake out when Willie gets back? Should Kadri stay with the big boys and WN goes to the 2nd unit? Or does Naz move?
Or how about this...Kadri seems to be a bit of a 3rd (5th) wheel on the #1. I think his obvious goal scoring ability is getting lost with all the firepower already on the ice.

Would a 2nd unit with Nylander and Kadri as the focus be a better use of resources? Moving Leivo, or Marleau, to the 1st unit in Naz's place wouldn't disrupt things much, if at all.

Thoughts?
A pylon could take Kadri's spot on the first PP. He is playing the high slot, put a shooter there. Move Kadri to the net presence on the 2nd unit.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
A pylon could take Kadri's spot on the first PP. He is playing the high slot, put a shooter there. Move Kadri to the net presence on the 2nd unit.

There's a reason Kadri is tied for second on the team in PP assists. A pylon couldn't do that. Right now, the second unit is there to give the first a rest if the 1st unit doesn't score in the first 45 sceonds and try not to do anything stupid.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
PP1 - If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Yup, sometimes it really is that simple. :)

We literally can make it to the Stanley cup finals from scoring on the power play:sarcasm:

You're being sarcastic but there's some truth here. Play tightens up in the playoffs and goals are harder to come by. If you have a deadly PP though, there's no reason that can't be just as effective as it is during the regular season. If the Leafs go deep, the PP will likely be a huge part of their success.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Matthews over Bozak is an upgrade.

Tavares as the net front instead of JvR, is probably a wash - both are super effective in that spot
That through the legs pass to Matthews last night looked very JVR-like. Just would have been Bozie crashing the backdoor slamming it home. Thats a play that has worked wonders for the Leafs for years now.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The most difficult thing for the opposition with this top PP unit is that each player has the ability to make highly skilled plays under high pressure and keep possession/the PP set up going .. That keeps the PKers honest which opens up lanes for the Leafs' to score.

That being said it's so early in the season, teams have not had a chance to run tape on their set up. Adjustments will be made that will make it tougher, in stretches, for the Leafs. But given the amount of skill that shouldn't be a problem to adjust themselves.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
That through the legs pass to Matthews last night looked very JVR-like. Just would have been Bozie crashing the backdoor slamming it home. Thats a play that has worked wonders for the Leafs for years now.

Except, Bozak would have missed it - it's remarkable how many chances he missed in that area.

On that unit, he should have banged in 30 goals, with the number he had spread over 2 years playing on that unit

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

So this either means that they'll be spreading out the PP units again (Doubt it with how much success it's having) or Nylander is going to control the 2nd unit.

2nd unit will look so much better with Nylander on it controlling the setup.

Tavares
Matthews-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

Marleau
Leivo-Johnsson-Nylander
Gardiner

Not that it'll get a ton of time but a decent group to put out after the 1st with Nylander controlling the zone entries.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'm going to eat crow and say that putting our top three centres on one powerplay unit has been a genius move so far. Absolutely no complaints on my end.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
under no circumstances does Babcock touch the #1 PP unit. If/When Nylander gets back you can add him to the the #2 Unit and if it clicks then good if not who cares.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

So this either means that they'll be spreading out the PP units again (Doubt it with how much success it's having) or Nylander is going to control the 2nd unit.

2nd unit will look so much better with Nylander on it controlling the setup.

Tavares
Matthews-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

Marleau
Leivo-Johnsson-Nylander
Gardiner

Not that it'll get a ton of time but a decent group to put out after the 1st with Nylander controlling the zone entries.

Will also be nice to have Willy taking face-offs on the 2nd unit. I was cringing last night watching Leivo and others at the dot. Hard to be successful when you start your shift behind your goal line after they ice the puck.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Babs putting the 2 power plays out for equal amounts of time is moronic.
First unit out there for 35-40 seconds then pulled off for the second unit, whys he treating them like they're equal

Reactions: kk87

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Babs putting the 2 power plays out for equal amounts of time is moronic.
First unit out there for 35-40 seconds then pulled off for the second unit, whys he treating them like they're equal
I think he's trying to keep the tempo up.
I agree, if it were me the #1 unit would get the full 2 minutes.

Reactions: kk87

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
There’s absolutely no reason not to play the top unit for at least 90 seconds on every power play. Power plays are a finite resource, so why we would willingly lower our chances of scoring is beyond me. This might just be the hill I die on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad