Leafs play when the other team pulls their Goalie to make it 6 on 5

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Does anyone know the reason why the Leafs usually stand around when the team they are playing against pulls their Goalie to make it a 6 on 5 situation? I'm sure it's something they are not planning to do on purpose and would love to clear the puck out of their zone and possibly get an empty net goal. Plus when they do clear it they don't want to ice it for another faceoff in their end. However more often then not the other team keeps possession a lot more with shots against Reimer or Scriviens and when the Leafs attempt to clear the puck it doesn't clear their zone. I think this season they only have one empty net goal which was Liles scoring against Ottawa, but all the other times they are just hangining on. Best example was this past Saturday against Boston when they are that close to tying the game. So is it the way Carlyle has coached them or just bad luck if you want to call it that?

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Nearly all teams experience the same thing.

It's a combination of:

Leading team wants to preserve the win and therefore will have more sound defensive players on the ice.

Those sound defensive players will want to not give up a goal so they will rather defend the fort than run up the ice and take chances.

The trailing team is desperate to score and plays with more urgency.

The trailing team has an extra player on the ice, leading to having one player the defending team can't cover effectively.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
The other team always has a man open, and the defending team must resort to a zone-style coverage, similar to that of a penalty kill.

Just. Get. The. Puck. Deep.

In the words of the great Al Iafrate, "empty net goals are for f**s."

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
I mean... honestly, at least list the empty net goals from each team; versus opportunities in those situations.... anything... any statistic at all.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
I mean... honestly, at least list the empty net goals from each team; versus opportunities in those situations.... anything... any statistic at all.

What are you talking about? Dude asked a question based on actual observation while watching the game. If all anyone ever needed was stat sheets, we wouldn't need scouts.

If you've ever played hockey, you know that scoring an empty-netter is harder than you'd think.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
What are you talking about? Dude asked a question based on actual observation while watching the game. If all anyone ever needed was stat sheets, we wouldn't need scouts.

If you've ever played hockey, you know that scoring an empty-netter is harder than you'd think.

Especially if you play in a high end league where the stakes are high and your head coach will staple your ass to the bench for a month if you ice the puck instead of score.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The other team always has a man open, and the defending team must resort to a zone-style coverage, similar to that of a penalty kill.

Just. Get. The. Puck. Deep.

In the words of the great Al Iafrate, "empty net goals are for f**s."

This, the Leafs were trying to clear the puck too without icing it but haven't gotten that quite down yet like an elite defensive team .. The idea is to block shots, keep the opponents from getting to the middle of the ice with the puck and try to clear the zone

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

The thread was made based on observation. People responded based on observation and some common sense. If the numbers mean so much to you, you know you could always compile them yourself and make your own argument in the thread, right?

It sounds like you're the one being lazy if you want other people to do the work that you're most interested in finding out. Do it yourself.

I would agree with the basic premise that the goal is to defend first. It doesn't look the same for every team but I'm pretty sure defending your net and goalie (by any means necessary) are the common priorities on every team in that situation.

Last edited:

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
So what you are saying is that when the other team pulls their goalie all the Leaf players on the ice stand around doing the same?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I was going to start a similar thread.

Conversely, it seems like whenever the Leafs pull the goalie the other team scores.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad