Proposal: Leafs - Pittsburgh

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I liked Bracco even before he started producing, so I kind of understand why you'd want to keep him.

Would you consider Bracco for Addison? Just asking it's not a move I would necessarily make.
I think we'd move Brown before Bracco because of the ELC benefits that we're likely to need. I'm not against including Bracco in something but I think we would be more inclined to do that as a part of a deal for a defenseman that's ready now where Bracco is a sweetener. I do like Addison but Bracco is a safer bet being that he's already doing very well in pro where Addision is more of a mystery box

ogleafsfan

Jan 12, 2019
:leafs
Jamie Oleksiak

:pens
Connor Brown

Simple trade that benefits both teams. TOR needs RHDs and Oleksiak plays both sides. Pittsburgh could use an upgrade over guys like Wilson and Grant.
no interest in a guy like oleksiak, we have enough bottom pairing dmen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
really doesn't fit Toronto's needs and the value seems to favour Pitts, I could see Brown being a nice fit there though.

Would Calen Addison be available for Brown?

Why do you think the Penguins top D prospect would be available for a guy that Leafs fans say is horrible and they want to get rid of for nothing? :laugh:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Why do you think the Penguins top D prospect would be available for a guy that Leafs fans say is horrible and they want to get rid of for nothing? :laugh:
I didn't know Roman Polak was on the table? Anyone saying that about Brown isn't credible, and "the Penguins top D prospect" makes it sound like he's a really good prospect where the Pens D farm is just really bad. Keep in mind we passed over Addison for Sean Durzi who's our 3rd-5th best D prospect in a middle of the pack farm system

Last edited:
Reactions: ColbyChaos

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I didn't know Roman Polak was on the table? Anyone saying that about Brown isn't credible

Do you want me to go through the other Toronto trade board threads and bring up all of the posts saying Brown is horrible? I really don't think I need to do that though, because you know that Leafs fans on here constantly say he sucks.

and "the Penguins top D prospect" makes it sound like he's a really good prospect where the Pens D farm is just really bad. Keep in mind we passed over Addison for Sean Durzi who's our 3rd-5th best D prospect in a middle of the pack farm system

Addison was a 1st round caliber D prospect that fell to the mid 2nd round. Addison would be your 3rd best D prospect after Liljergren and Sandin. But even then, why would any team trade an Addison level prospect (who's not amazing, but is a good prospect) for a guy that Leafs fans constantly say is bad? Brown is a bottom-6 forward without much of an upside, why would teams give up a good prospect for that?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Do you want me to go through the other Toronto trade board threads and bring up all of the posts saying Brown is horrible? I really don't think I need to do that though, because you know that Leafs fans on here constantly say he sucks.
you can if you like, that doesn't change the fact that anyone saying that isn't credible. He's getting 3rd line results with bad luck and mostly 4th line usage with history of being able to score in the NHL, AHL and CHL while also being able to play both sides and being a very good penalty killer. When he's played up the lineup he produces, and will at some point be a good add for a team that has space up the lineup for him

Addison was a 1st round caliber D prospect that fell to the mid 2nd round. Addison would be your 3rd best D prospect after Liljergren and Sandin. But even then, why would any team trade an Addison level prospect (who's not amazing, but is a good prospect) for a guy that Leafs fans constantly say is bad? Brown is a bottom-6 forward without much of an upside, why would teams give up a good prospect for that?
well you say that, but more than 15 teams obviously didn't agree right? Addision being better than Durzi certainly debatable with an edge to Durzi in the eyes of the Leafs management being that they literally passed on Addison in favour of Durzi

seems like you're viewing Addison too highly and Brown too lowly, Addison is a mid 2nd round pick who hasn't changed performance since his draft, Brown's a bottom 9 forward that's very versatile while being young and inexpensive. If you read down the thread you'll find that I said I would add to Brown for Addison, I think Brown is worth a late 2nd/3rd round pick in a vacuum which is less than I'd value Addison but certainly a bridgeable gap value wise

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Is it though? Jamie can easily log 18 minutes a night and Brown isn't exactly having his best season.

I guess he could but he really isn't what the Leafs are looking for though.

Also Connor is getting the squeeze with the Leafs as they have other options.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Forgetting about value for a second, why does Pittsburgh need Connor Brown? Right Wing, in particular, isn't a shallow position for the Pens.

Reactions: Peat

member 147413

I never said he was bad, I said he's not having his best season.
Seemed like the implication.

He’s spent most of his time on the 3rd or 4th line and is producing at a 30ish point pace. Versatile and can play either wing and a great PKer. Very well liked in the room with a great work ethic.

He’s had to adjust his game to be more grinder-esque, but I believe he’s a capabable offensive player if put in a different role. His best attribute is his IQ and he works on his weaknesses (was a poor skater, now one of the fastest on the team).

All in all, he’s not getting traded for an overpaid bottom pairing dman.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
:leafs
Jamie Oleksiak

:pens
Connor Brown

Simple trade that benefits both teams. TOR needs RHDs and Oleksiak plays both sides. Pittsburgh could use an upgrade over guys like Wilson and Grant.

If Oleksiak was cheaper, id be interested.
Not sure the Leafs can afford to pay 2.137m for 2 more years for a guy who people generally agree is a bottom pairing guy, who I cant see being on a second pair with success.
Pens arent in a position to retain him down to a level the Leafs are ok with either.

If you can find a 3rd team, and we can get him at 1.5 or under, id do Brown knowing we are giving up a more valuable asset.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
really doesn't fit Toronto's needs and the value seems to favour Pitts, I could see Brown being a nice fit there though.

No. Not a matter of value so much as the simple fact that we are very deep in terms of our RW and very shallow when it comes to defence prospects. Tbh, I'm not entirely sure why FBF has targeted Brown here.

My best guess is Addison is only available from the Pens for real big names, a great 3C, or gross overpays. Obviously a lot of those would have to be as part of a package as he doesn't have the individual value, but anything else coming in and the incentive isn't big enough to let go of him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I’d do something around Marincin for Oleksiak

So...Pens trade a dman for a worse dman...Leafs trade a bad dman for a better dman? Why? Why do the Penguins do that?

Oleksiak isn't worth a 2nd on his own

Couple things:

1. I don't think the Penguins and Leafs are a fit on smaller scale deals. The needs/haves/wants in that area don't match up. A larger deal could work with larger caliber players.

2. No, Addison would not be available for Brown.

3. I think Oleksiak could get a 2nd at the TDL if a playoff team desperately needed a 4/5. 55 year old Hainsey got a 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad