Proposal: Leafs - Pens

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This deal happens if leafs lose R1 and decide to blow shit up

Also assume leaf players waive their NMC for the Pens

To Toronto: Marcus Pettersson, 2025 1st round (top 10 protected), Ville Koivunen

To Pens: Choice of Nylander or Marner

Pens go for it 1 more year by adding a top end regular season performing winger. Can choose between Nylander or Marner depending on who they like more

Leafs enter a retool. Clear 1 huge deal, then let JT walk in a year to retool for 2026 summer

Thoughts?

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Leafs lose in R1 then it’s goodbye to one the worst coaches in hockey. If they move anyone, it’s JT if there is any chance in hell there is a market whereby a team wants veteran leadership (not that he’s lead a team to much).

• Haha
Reactions: go4hockey

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pettersson has developed into a borderline #2D, I'm absolutely not adding a 1st and a very good prospect on top of him to get Marner.

Also Marner has a NMC, so he can pick and choose his location he's going to and I think that likely dramatically hurts his value. Between that and only having 1 year left at basically $11 million, with him likely getting that or larger on an extension, I don't think his value would be nearly as high as Leafs fans would expect.

The Penguins got Bunting, Ponomarev, Koivunen, Lucius and a 2nd for a rental Guentzel at $6 million. I don't see how a full season of Marner at $11 million with a full NMC gets anything even close to Pettersson, Koivunen and a 1st.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Pettersson has developed into a borderline #2D, I'm absolutely not adding a 1st and a very good prospect on top of him to get Marner.

Also Marner has a NMC, so he can pick and choose his location he's going to and I think that likely dramatically hurts his value. Between that and only having 1 year left at basically $11 million, with him likely getting that or larger on an extension, I don't think his value would be nearly as high as Leafs fans would expect.

The Penguins got Bunting, Ponomarev, Koivunen, Lucius and a 2nd for a rental Guentzel at $6 million. I don't see how a full season of Marner at $11 million with a full NMC gets anything even close to Pettersson, Koivunen and a 1st.
If you want a player with more term than Nylander is signed long term

Pettersson also has 1 year left on his deal so leafs take a shot we can extend him LT or just have him play a year and then reallocate cap

1st is top 10 protected abd would ve expected to be a pick after 16

Koivunen is a good B+ prospect but he hasnt played yet in N/A and hasn't shown his weaknesses will tranlsate in NHL.

I Cant see Either getting less than this sort of trade. Maybe Pettersson is too high end a player but dont have a substitute on the pens with short term and good value (Rielly smith other option but hes pretty meh)

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Leafs lose in R1 then it’s goodbye to one the worst coaches in hockey. If they move anyone, it’s JT if there is any chance in hell there is a market whereby a team wants veteran leadership (not that he’s lead a team to much).
I've no idea how Keefe is still there after getting beat up by the barely bubble-Habs. Guy is loser.

They can't move JT if he says nah, he has NMC. Same as Marner. They're stuck for a year or so.

Guessing Matthews or some "core" dude wants to keep him.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There is no moving JT. His NMC coupled with his terribad contract makes it moot.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That's too much for the Pens to give up IMO. As much as it would be cool to have Marner we should probably keep our assets. We can't make the playoffs with what we had, wont make it with Marner either. Our big player would be a new coach (no, not Leafs coach).

Reactions: domaug

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Would love Marner here. If there's a realistic trade to have he's by far and away choice number 1 for me to bolster the Pens.

Supposedly tight with Sid too. Next contract/payday could coincide with one another.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Petts, Koivunen, 1st for Nylander, eh?

I'd have to think about it.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Marner isn't waiving, probably for anyone. Nylander? I don't think that's the guy they'd move on from, in Toronto. He's the one of the four who elevates his production in the postseason.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Leafs need D and no question Taveras will be gone after next year so they will simply add players as needed. Toronto will be in the mix here even with a playoff loss. Mathews and the offensive forwards may be overpaid but cap going up plus a LTIR and rebalancing the roster is much easier going forward. Pens problems on LD are Graves not being close to a top pairing D man. But if he really comes back ready to rock, then Petts is a OK number 2. Jarry. Graves and a healthy Letang are key here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad