Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Panthers | TUE Feb. 4, 2014 | 7:30pm ET, SNET-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I am really not feeling Clarkson's return. We have been playing really without him. Just because he makes 5+ doesn't mean he should be guaranteed a spot.

The kids are playing their you know what off, I would hate to see being replaced by this guy.

I know some posters are defending him, winning does that. Don't forget how bad he was and he is.

So what do you do then? Call him a bust after 30 games and sit him for the next 6 years?

As far as I'm concerned, the big moves come when Bolland is back. I have no problem dropping Bodie to line 4 and sending Ashton back to the Marlies. Not like he does much out there anyways.

dominicmoore19

Jun 8, 2010
It's one game most likely so I don't see the issue. If there's one thing that's been proven since Phil got here is that it doesn't really matter who he plays with, he manages to make an impact on the game.

One game right now is the difference between staying up and Montreal and catching up to Tampa. Every point counts right now, and messing with the chemistry too much can not only throw everything off in that one game, but in the games following it.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I am really not feeling Clarkson's return. We have been playing really without him. Just because he makes 5+ doesn't mean he should be guaranteed a spot.

The kids are playing their you know what off, I would hate to see being replaced by this guy.

I know some posters are defending him, winning does that. Don't forget how bad he was and he is.
Clarkson hasn't produced much offensive, but he certainly was quite productive on the shut down line. I actually liked his shifts with Holland, and he can really cycle the puck well. Sure, he's not a strong as Kulemin in retrieving the puck ( amongst the best, actually), but he's much better in physically dominating the offensive zone. Watch how he consistent crashes the net, grinds garbage goals, in New Jersey. JVR is much more finesse-based despite thriving in traffic much like Vanek.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Clarkson - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Kulemin
Raymond - McClement - Bodie
McLaren - Smithson - Orr

This appears to be what we are going with if JVR can't go, and considering he didn't fly with the team, appears to be likely.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Clarkson hasnt been allowed the time to develop chemistry with any offensive players. If he is put with Kessel and Bozak his assignment will be going to the net and getting in front of the goalie. Im fairly certain he can do that.

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk
Clarkson in a third line role should be a good way to get him back on his game. We need him to get some confidence and let him feel better about what he can bring to the team as soon as possible. He's got to contribute in some way for the Leafs to be successful over the next few years.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'd rather him go on the top line to be honest. I dont want to disrupt the 2nd line and the good thing they have going, and I feel Clarkson is a better fit then Raymond on the 1st line. Hes a closer match to JvR then MayRay

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
I'd sit JVR for this one even if he is feeling better. Looks like the dude is nursing a couple of injuries and could use the time off, and what better team to do it against than Florida... Clarkson should take his spot on the Left Wing.

When Clarkson had that 30 goal year in New Jersey it was because he was playing upper echelon caliber players. The Kovalchucks, Parises, Elias'... Give him a top 6 role and guarantee he will produce

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm fine with throwing Clarkson up there. It could work out for a temporary thing and they probably figure that Kessel is so hot right now he can make it work with anyone. Long as he's got buddy Bozak up there things will work out :).

Regardless just have to find ways to win. We've just played more than most teams around us so we gotta grab points when we can.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
JVR is hurt?

oh-hell-no-o.gif

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
Clarkson playing his off-wing, can't wait!

Edit: Wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't happen

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think they should be focused as they are playing in front of their dads. Why wouldn't you want to play extra hard in front of your dad and get a big W?

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
I see a big hole without JVR. We were hurt losing our centers that's for sure. But if we were to lose 2 or 3 guys like we did with Kessel, JVR and Lupul... Damn! That would hurt even more then Bozak, Bolland and Kadri's suspension.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Going to be the same old story for us, forcing our young defenders (Gudbranson, Olsen who is probably getting scratched again) to drag Jovo around the ice instead of playing them both together which was one of the best parts of our team during our five game win streak earlier this year all because Jovo has the C. Power play is the worst EVER in NHL history right now with something like a 9%. Yet our coach refuses to fix it. Still have way too many helpers and not enough scorers.

Hopefully TT shows up and we don't get embarasssed. He has been off recently though.

Would you guys take our first (top 3 pick) for Kadri plus?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Well with JVR out let the 2nd line be the 'first line'

Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
Clarkson-Bozak-Kessel
Raymond(but idc)-Mclement-idc
idc-idc-idc

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Going to be the same old story for us, forcing our young defenders (Gudbranson, Olsen who is probably getting scratched again) to drag Jovo around the ice instead of playing them both together which was one of the best parts of our team during our five game win streak earlier this year all because Jovo has the C. Power play is the worst EVER in NHL history right now with something like a 9%. Yet our coach refuses to fix it. Still have way too many helpers and not enough scorers.

Hopefully TT shows up and we don't get embarasssed. He has been off recently though.

Would you guys take our first (top 3 pick) for Kadri plus?

It depends for me. Hypothetically if it were 3rd, I wouldn't want to do that.
Dal Colle and Kadri put up almost identical junior numbers, but one has proven himself in the NHL. It's just too big of a risk for my liking, plus the fact that Kadri fits our core age group better is key.

Since being a full time leaf, Kadri has been scoring at a 69 points/season pace. (Calculated using a 101 game sample). Using this information, I think it is reasonable to deduct that he has Giroux-esque upside, and even though his value is probably not equal to that of a top 3 pick, I just wouldn't be comfortable pulling the trigger this draft.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
they sent down... McKegg?
and they brought down Smithson....
and they still won't bring back Jerry?

tumblr_m4qf58OQWk1rwcc6bo1_400.gif

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Does it really matter with the 2-3 minutes of ice time the 4th line will get with McLaren and Orr out there.

that's the freaking point.
we need to be playing our 4th line more than 3 minutes.

so. logic dictates if you are playing your 4thline 2-3 minutes, you do not like, nor trust your 4th line. which should mean... you should cultivate a 4thline that you can trust.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
that's the freaking point.
we need to be playing our 4th line more than 3 minutes.

so. logic dictates if you are playing your 4thline 2-3 minutes, you do not like, nor trust your 4th line. which should mean... you should cultivate a 4thline that you can trust.

Hopefully that will change when Holland Clarkson and Bolland are good to go. Right now though we needed a center and I guess Carlyle felt McKegg wasn't ready so he called up Smithson. Not that big of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad