GDT: Leafs @ Panthers 7 PM SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
C0vMiSuW8AE7q9b.jpg:large

Game day: Maple Leafs at Florida Panthers
Matthews and Leafs open Florida trip with date against Jagr’s Panthers.

By Star staff
Tues., Dec. 27, 2016

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2016/12/27/game-day-maple-leafs-at-florida-panthers.html

BB&T CENTER

FACEOFF: 7 p.m.

TV: Sportsnet

RADIO: TSN 1050

KEY PLAYERS

Matthews/Jagr

They’re at opposite ends of their NHL careers, but Leafs’ teen centre Auston Matthews and ageless Czech marvel Jaromir Jagr have something in common: they’ll be two of the most exciting players on the ice on Wednesday night. Matthews is among the league leaders in goals with 16, while the 44-year-old Jagr is second on the Panthers with 21 points.

NEED TO KNOW

The Leafs called three players up from the AHL’s Marlies for the trip: goaltender Antoine Bibeau plus forwards Byron Froese and Frederik Gauthier. Bibeau is 7-7-2 with a 2.46 goals-against average and a .908 save mark and three shutouts in 16 games with the Leafs’ farm club. He made 26 saves in his NHL debut against Colorado on Dec. 11. Froese has 12 goals and five assists in 27 AHL games this season, while Gauthier was recalled for the second time in December and has a goal and an assist in three games with the big club.

UP NEXT

Thursday at Tampa Bay Lightning, 7:30 p.m

Game Day: Maple Leafs at Panthers
By Lance Hornby, Toronto Sun

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/28/game-day-maple-leafs-at-panthers

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS at FLORIDA PANTHERS

Wednesday, 7 p.m., BB&T Center

TV: SNO; Radio: 1050 AM

THE BIG MATCHUP

Frederik Andersen vs. Roberto Luongo

After James Reimer got to start against his former team in November and was beaten up 6-1, look for Luongo to pursue his 21st win in 30 decisions against the Leafs. Luongo, once coveted by the Leafs as a No. 1, will be taking on the man who finally could be the answer to Toronto’s net troubles, the very hot Andersen. Round 1 between the goaltenders went to Andersen, a 3-2 win in October.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
This should he a fun tilt. Panthers have not been where I thought they should be but I'm still interested to see how we match up against them now.
Go leafs go :cheer:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Any chance either tonight's or tomorrows game is televised in Montreal?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Leafs have to take at least 3 of 4 points in the next 2 nights against teams they are directly competing against for me to take them seriously as a playoff contender. You can't tell me that they have realistic playoff chances if they take only 2 or less.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
win would be big, but getting big wins has been a struggle this year. Hopefully Matthews and Marner put up points at least.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Leafs have to take at least 3 of 4 points in the next 2 nights against teams they are directly competing against for me to take them seriously as a playoff contender. You can't tell me that they have realistic playoff chances if they take only 2 or less.

In December?

I'd say we're still in it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

5 points back of Boston with 4 games in hand, yes I can

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
There was a graph in some other thread that showed our chances. It showed that we'd have to keep a 95 point pace from this moment on to get in, versus what would be a 85 point pace for Boston. That's quite a big difference these days.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I'm expecting 2 losses, but wouldn't be shocked by 2 wins.

Hoping for entertaining games no matter who wins.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There was a graph in some other thread that showed our chances. It showed that we'd have to keep a 95 point pace from this moment on to get in, versus what would be a 85 point pace for Boston. That's quite a big difference these days.

Leafs are more likely to be chasing the Florida state teams Panthers and Lightning the teams next 2 opponents for a playoff spot as opposed to Boston.

These next 2 games are huge for the Leafs as losses would make it 3 teams not just Boston they're chasing down.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Andersen doesn't need after having the holiday break. Play him both games if winning is priority. He is not burning that much energy the way he plays. He is big and efficient, not a acrobat. Jeezus he needs to play both.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We need nothing. It's December.

Yea, great mentality. If you want playoffs, you have to bank points now. You think it's going to be easy getting points in February and March? Have to close ground now. If they are still 4 or 5 points out at that time and chasing multiple teams, it will be too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad