Leafs open practice

BayStBully

Dec 7, 2010
Toronto
A couple notes from practice today..

- Reimer looked pretty awful, and I'm a big Reimer supporter. There was a drill where they were making the goalies play the puck and he was dreadful whereas Scrivens looked great.
- Reimer also looked absolutely gassed at times, this seems to be an ongoing issue with him as I saw this a couple times last year too, midseason. Scrivens is a great skater for a goalie.
- On some of the 2 on 1 drills Reimer was letting in top or bottom glove side goals every 4th or 5th goal. Scrivens was stopping up to 10 in a row.

I must say, I've been a huge advocate of letting Reimer play and Scrivens backing him up.. and I know it was practice but I have a hard time seeing how the coaches don't start Scrivens on saturday.

Also,

- Kostka looked very smooth, rocket for a shot.
- Kadri showed off some silky hands.
- Mark Fraser impressed. Got a standing ovation for a one on one battle drill he had with Lupul.
- Rielly didn't look out of place, but didn't really have a chance to get out and skate around as he would in a game.
- I didn't see Leo Komarov look tired or breath heavy once. Guy looks like a machine. Destroyed everyone in sprints effortlessly.
- Frattin looked pretty invisible.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Thanks for this.

I hear Grabovski and Kulemin look good and are in great shape. Did you notice them today?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Can someone piss James Riemer off please? When he first came up, it was pretty awesome to see a player smiling, but now it pisses me off.

Ben Scrivens presents himself much better IMO

xyzz

Aug 18, 2008

- Reimer looked pretty awful, and I'm a big Reimer supporter. There was a drill where they were making the goalies play the puck and he was dreadful whereas Scrivens looked great.
- Reimer also looked absolutely gassed at times, this seems to be an ongoing issue with him as I saw this a couple times last year too, midseason. Scrivens is a great skater for a goalie.
- On some of the 2 on 1 drills Reimer was letting in top or bottom glove side goals every 4th or 5th goal. Scrivens was stopping up to 10 in a row.

I must say, I've been a huge advocate of letting Reimer play and Scrivens backing him up.. and I know it was practice but I have a hard time seeing how the coaches don't start Scrivens on saturday.

Also,

- Mark Fraser impressed. Got a standing ovation for a one on one battle drill he had with Lupul.
- Rielly didn't look out of place, but didn't really have a chance to get out and skate around as he would in a game.
- I didn't see Leo Komarov look tired or breath heavy once. Guy looks like a machine. Destroyed everyone in sprints effortlessly.

I was there today too, and agree with everything you say...other than the standing ovation =P. People clapped, but thats not a standing O =)

Fraser looked good, and Lupul and Bozak did as well. Kessel was playing with half a heart as usual. its a shame.. the guy could be one of the best players in the league, but he just doesn't put in the effort. Kessel was by far the laziest guy out there.

BayStBully

Dec 7, 2010
Toronto
I was there today too, and agree with everything you say...other than the standing ovation =P. People clapped, but thats not a standing O =)

Fraser looked good, and Lupul and Bozak did as well. Kessel was playing with half a heart as usual. its a shame.. the guy could be one of the best players in the league, but he just doesn't put in the effort. Kessel was by far the laziest guy out there.
Well me and my section gave him a standing ovation lol.

But yeah if you didn't already know who Kessel was, you would think he was terrible from that practice lol

bradm6125

May 20, 2009
I was also there, really enjoyed it.

Stuff I noticed:

- Huge fan of Kostka, hoping he cracks the squad.

- Mark Fraser really surprised me, I've liked what I've seen of him with the Marlies but didn't expect him to fit in today as well as he did.

- The 1on1 battle between Fraser/Lupul was also a highlight for me. Cool for the fans to acknowledge a solid effort.

- JVR-Kadri-Komarov looked great together.

- Agree that Frattin looked invisible, he was also not slated on any specific lines (based on jersey colour)

- Reilly looked comfortable, excited for his 5 games.

- Reimer did look weak often

- Great flow on Bozak haha

If I were picking the team I'd have this lineup in Montreal

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Macarthur-Grabo-Kulemin
JVR-Kadri-Komarov
Mcclement-Steckel-Brown

Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Liles-Franson
*Kostka-Rielly**
Fraser

Reimer
Scrivens​

- Mcclement and Steckel interchangeable
- Frattin to Marlies, Orr healthy scratched until needed for extra toughness.
- Rielly gets 5 games
- Fraser/Kostka battle for 6/7
- Reimer deserves the chance to prove he can be #1, but on a very short leash with Scrivens ready.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON

Also,

I love this. We could always use another machine. We already have Grabo The Warrior, maybe now we add Koma The Machine.

Or better yet, let's call him KOMATSU... after the construction bulldozer company.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
it's not surprising that Reimer doesn't look like he's in mid-season form compared to a guy who has played 22 games already. I still think he should start.

Penalty Kill Icing*

What really sucks is that there is no one positive report out there about Reimer. I mean sure, someone would've noticed something good about him by now. :help:

Oh well, maybe the motto this year is:

With Reimer, We surrender :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad