News Article: Leafs only NHL team in Forbes top 50.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I honestly thought the Leafs, and the top basketball team would have been at least top 15. I also would have though Montreal would have crept onto the list.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I honestly thought the Leafs, and the top basketball team would have been at least top 15. I also would have though Montreal would have crept onto the list.

Not when they count soccer teams. It's such a popular sport. Rangers make more than Montreal, so they would be higher.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
30 of 32 football teams are on that list?
crikey.

it's so strange to know the Leafs are nly worth like 1.1 billion, and Real Madrid is 3.3 but leafs nation is EVERYWHERE hehe

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wow amazing how these Football teams are worth a lot, I always assumed the loser franchises were worth less..

Greatest league in the world and they all share the wealth.

Each Team gets about 800 million or so just in tv revenue yearly.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder what the franchise value of the Toronto Marlies is compared to some NHL clubs, like that welfare collector Phoenix, for example...

Ten

Apr 25, 2007
Toronto.
Nothing new here, we've long been the most valuable NHL team and there's no reason we won't be for a long time.

But it begs the question as to why we aren't allocating more money to the hockey club beyond player payroll. With a salary cap in place, we can't get a leg up on other teams by paying more for premier talent. But do any rules exist regarding coaches, scouts, and other various areas of management?

Does anyone see a day where instead of employing one strength coach in Anthony Belza, each individual player in the organization will have his own personal coach? Or an army of skating coaches like Barb Underhill in operating under the same program?

Anyone have any figures on the team with the largest scouting staff? I'd be interested to see just how many people we employ to determine the future of our team.

As each year passes and we're more and more desperate to win a cup, is the organization not entitled to using it's assets to the fullest?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nothing new here, we've long been the most valuable NHL team and there's no reason we won't be for a long time.

But it begs the question as to why we aren't allocating more money to the hockey club beyond player payroll. With a salary cap in place, we can't get a leg up on other teams by paying more for premier talent. But do any rules exist regarding coaches, scouts, and other various areas of management?

Does anyone see a day where instead of employing one strength coach in Anthony Belza, each individual player in the organization will have his own personal coach? Or an army of skating coaches like Barb Underhill in operating under the same program?

Anyone have any figures on the team with the largest scouting staff? I'd be interested to see just how many people we employ to determine the future of our team.

As each year passes and we're more and more desperate to win a cup, is the organization not entitled to using it's assets to the fullest?

No, you want all members of a Team on the same page using the same philosophy.

Players do hire their own personal coaches in the off-season.

what they can offer is 1st class facilities, travel, etc.

Ten

Apr 25, 2007
Toronto.
No, you want all members of a Team on the same page using the same philosophy.

Players do hire their own personal coaches in the off-season.

what they can offer is 1st class facilities, travel, etc.

I definitely agree with you on that much, I wasn't suggesting various players on different programs.

Let's take Barb for example. I think she's based out of Guelph and comes into Toronto to work with the guys at the Mastercard Centre. She probably had opportunities to head out to Oshawa at points in the season to see Tyler Biggs, or vice versa. No doubt he's spending the summer here and seeing her on a somewhat regular basis to smooth out some kinks in his stride.

But guys overseas who we see for a total of 6 weeks in the summer camps like Granberg don't have the same access to her training as a kid based in the Toronto region. It might not be the MOST practical, but would there be any benefit to employing someone full-time to live near him in Sweden and conduct these training sessions throughout the year? Using the same philosophies/methods/tech, reporting directly back to Barb with feedback? I imagine he has access to a skating coach with his team, but how much time is centralized directly on him?

That's what I'd be referring too.

I will acknowledge that it's not really part of a players obligation to see a personal coach or follow any of these programs and that players often do it on their own time.

You're definitely correct about the facilities however, thankfully the Leafs paid for the most expensive practice facilities in pro hockey.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Greatest league in the world and they all share the wealth.

Each Team gets about 800 million or so just in tv revenue yearly.

It's closer to 200M per team per year which still is much more than the other north american leagues

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2011/12/14/the-nfl-signs-tv-deals-worth-26-billion/

Financial terms have not been released, but the three networks are expected to pay roughly $3 billion a year on average annually compared to the current $1.93 billion they collectively pay. ESPN re-upped its deal with the NFL earlier this year at an annual rate of $1.9 billion. Factor in other media deals with the NFL Network, DirectTV ($1 billion annually), Westwood One radio and others, and NFL teams will divvy up nearly $7 billion in media money starting in 2014. That is more than $200 million per team every year before one ticket, beer or jersey is sold.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Could have used a better pic. Like this one:

Frazer+McLaren+Toronto+Maple+Leafs+v+Winnipeg+EBeuJO8v3EUx.jpg

Ten

Apr 25, 2007
Toronto.
McLaren, Orr and Fraser do represent the new current identity of the Leafs today. The "Bay street bullies or bash brothers" is what one thinks of when Leafs are mentioned as to their present on ice persona.

They have no face of the franchise since Mats left.

Wendel was drafted 1st overall, but still had to earn his universal acclaim. Dougie didn't become the god he is until after the wrap around OT winner. Mats was a model of consistency for his years of service, and being the only real offensive force on the team for the majority of his career will earn you legend status by default regardless of his talents and accomplishments.

No real playoff runs since 2002, or players with 10+ seasons on the Leafs. Let Kessel or Reimer dominate another 3-4 series over the next 3 years, and you'll find your "face of the franchise.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
30 of 32 football teams are on that list?
crikey.

it's so strange to know the Leafs are nly worth like 1.1 billion, and Real Madrid is 3.3 but leafs nation is EVERYWHERE hehe

Leafs Nation may be big but teams like Real Madrid, Man U, Barca make Leafs Nation look minuscule.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
The list for those who can't be bothered to look through that entire stupid slideshow Forbes has

1. Real Madrid ------------------- 26. Carolina Panthers
2. Manchester United ------------------- 27. Seahawks
3. Barcelona ---------------- 28. Buccaneers
4. Yankees ------------------- 29. Titans
5. Cowboys -------------------- 30. Chiefs
6. Patriots ------------------ 31(t). Cubs
7. Dodgers ------------------ 31(t). Lakers
8. Redskins ----------------- 31(t). Leafs
9. NY Giants --------------- 34. Browns
10. Arsenal ------------------ 35. Vikings
11. Red Sox ---------------- 36. Saints
12. Bayern Munich --------------- 37. AC Milan
13. Texans ----------------- 38. Chargers
14. NY Jets ---------------- 39. Arizona Cardinals
15. Eagles ---------------- 40. Chelsea
16. Bears ------------------ 41. Phillies
17. 49ers ----------------- 42. Bengals
18. Packers ------------------ 43. Lions
19. Ravens ----------------- 44. Falcons
20. Colts ---------------- 45. Mets
21. Ferrari ---------------- 46. Bills
22. Broncos ---------------- 47(t). Bulls
23(tie). Knicks ---------------- 47(t). McLaren
23(tie). Steelers --------------- 49. SF Giants
25. Dolphins --------------- 50. Raiders

Shocked there aren't more soccer teams on here with all the worldwide exposure they have... really shows how massive the American market is

Jacob8hockey*

Looking at the value of franchises from about the 16-31 point it looks like the Leafs could jump up and nab a top 20 spot if the NHL growth is how it is projected and if the Leafs have a successful year.

I could also seen next year the Rangers grabbing a top 50 spot with the Habs being on the outside looking in.

Of course I'd rather a cup then the most valuable franchise but its nice to see none the less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad