News Article: Leafs/Marlies - 4 call up rule eliminated

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
http://nhl.si.com/2013/04/02/new-cba-removes-major-ahl-roster-hurdle-from-nhl-trade-deadline-day/

NHL teams were limited to four minor league call-ups the rest of the regular season, unless an emergency situation dictated the need for more.

And now? NHL clubs still have to decide which eligible players they want to participate in the chase for the Calder Cup, but they won’t have to worry about the paper transactions — sending players down to the A and then recalling them in time to play that night — that used to take up valuable time on the busiest day of the year.

More importantly, the four recalls limitation is gone, which benefits both the parent and farm club.

Nothing ground breaking but definitely does change how Nonis and Poulin can manage their teams

We have a deep farm team and can use it for players such as Holzer, MacIntyre, Colborne, etc if extra depth is needed come playoff time.

I am pretty sure that players would still need to clear waivers such as Hamilton or Komisarek, however please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Penalty Kill Icing*

edited

Last edited by a moderator:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Thanks, I was searching for this info, good stuff, so good for both the Leafs and the Marlies.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Gardiner is no longer waiver exempt.

I thought the same, but if I interpreted it correct; I think they don't need to clear waiver after trade deadline.

If I am wrong, someone can let me know.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
In all likelihood this means that Kadri will be sent down as a paper transaction in the event the Leafs fall off a cliff like a 18 wheeler

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
On his way to Colorado for Ryan OReilly .:whaaa?:

Not sure if serious, but O'Reilly can't be traded until next season in late February.

From what I can understand, if the rules from the previous CBA remain intact, waivers are still in effect after the trade deadline. It's just that players claimed off of waivers cannot play on the team that claimed them for the rest of the regular season + playoffs. So essentially we would lose Gardiner for nothing, but the team who claimed him wouldn't be able to dress him until next season.

Either way, placing Gardiner in the AHL, even if he could clear without having to go through waivers, is stupid. I have no idea what Carlyle is thinking.

mikebel111*

Not sure if serious, but O'Reilly can't be traded until next season in late February.

From what I can understand, if the rules from the previous CBA remain intact, waivers are still in effect after the trade deadline. It's just that players claimed off of waivers cannot play on the team that claimed them for the rest of the regular season + playoffs. So essentially we would lose Gardiner for nothing, but the team who claimed him wouldn't be able to dress him until next season.

Either way, placing Gardiner in the AHL, even if he could clear without having to go through waivers, is stupid. I have no idea what Carlyle is thinking.

Gardiner won't be in AHL. Carlyle is giving the treatment that kessel got in boston
It's for a good cause. Gardiner will play soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad