Post-Game Talk: Leafs Make A Meaningless Game Out of Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Yeah but in my books you take little successes and moral victories and milestones as stepping stones towards playoff success and not face plant on objectives and drop games left and right, have up and down games and periods and then flip a switch to ultimate success.
The problem is that the individual objectives overtake the team objectives and they get away from playing the shutdown game they need to win in the playoffs because they’re cheating on offense. Pinching dman, players leaving the zone too early etc. They’ve gotten away from what has made them successful in the last couple of months. I don’t think the top teams in the league get distracted by individual accomplishments the way the Leafs do.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The problem is that the individual objectives overtake the team objectives and they get away from playing the shutdown game they need to win in the playoffs because they’re cheating on offense. Pinching dman, players leaving the zone too early etc. They’ve gotten away from what has made them successful in the last couple of months. I don’t think the top teams in the league get distracted by individual accomplishments the way the Leafs do.

There is a game where Matthews (and Nylander) are getting to their individual goals but it's driving team success, where they play the right way and offense flows from that game. The support cast was doing everything right in that first period, and they staked out a 2-0 lead.

You don't have to play a shutdown game with this kind of firepower. They could have just played dialed in and kept building the lead, let the milestones occur as they come.

That first shift by the Matthews line was sloppy sloppy sloppy, sloppy. Boosh with a terrible cross ice to Marner, a rushed dump in, sloppy center ice work by Matthews, random Brodie level stuff from Rielly turns into a scoring chance that our goalie wasn't ready to make a save on.

Reactions: Al14 and ACC1224

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Never thought I'd say this but I think Domi is a better winger for Matthews. He's a better retriever, more explosive and moves the puck quicker once he gets it. Meanwhile Marner likes to carry it in circles around the o-zone looking for a layup pass. The way Domi plays gets Bertuzzi more engaged. Everyone touches the puck more. That's not even starting on the added toughness. One game and I already miss that line.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I’ve said it since the injury to Marner, Domi and Bertuzzi make Matthews a different player overall. Of the core 4 I prefer the puck to be on Matthews stick when carrying it. It makes Matthews more dangerous and he’s the most responsible and willing to make the smart play with it. The others don’t make the smart plays.

Last night was a prime example of watching 34 with different linemates. I didn’t even notice Bertuzzi.

Reactions: horner

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I was at the game…..the leafs looked great until the panthers turned on the rough stuff.
My GF doesn’t know anything about hockey, but she did say “nylander doesn’t go near anybody”.
Your GF is very observant. :thumbu:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Can’t wait to hear wait lessons we learned tonight!
The Leafs got out shot 29-4 in the 2nd period against a team they thought the were about to face in round #1 of the playoffs.

Outshot by 25 shots in a single period. o_O

This 2nd period looked like Florida Panthers were playing the Toronto Marlies.

After the final beat down facing Boston instead seems like Leafs caught a break for themselves, because this game looked just like the last year's playoff series, where Florida nearly swept the Leafs in round #2.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrannigansLaw

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I’ve said it since the injury to Marner, Domi and Bertuzzi make Matthews a different player overall. Of the core 4 I prefer the puck to be on Matthews stick when carrying it. It makes Matthews more dangerous and he’s the most responsible and willing to make the smart play with it. The others don’t make the smart plays.

Last night was a prime example of watching 34 with different linemates. I didn’t even notice Bertuzzi.
The 3rd guy on that line basically has to resign themselves to the mucker on that line, and accept that they'll be getting very little touches of the puck. Everytime I see Marner and Bertuzzi on the same line I swear Marner looks him off multiple times a game. Not saying it's any player's fault, there's just negative chemistry between those two players.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
the D is a joke, other than Benoit and Mccabe none can be trusted to defend, Boston will make quick work on the D and G shortcomings..........

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
I was at the game…..the leafs looked great until the panthers turned on the rough stuff.
My GF doesn’t know anything about hockey, but she did say “nylander doesn’t go near anybody”.
I think once Florida made the decision to go for it, Keefe basically told the boys to tone it down to avoid injuries. I really do. I mean other than going for the 70 what else did we have to play for? It may have seemed anti-competitive and gutless but he wasn't entirely wrong.

We could have easily matched them physically. We proved it in the first period and in previous games over the past few months as well. But continuing at that pace for a useless game could have been to our long term playoff detriment. Besides, the hockey gods made it clear: 70 wasn't happening (at least not last night).

Reactions: 67leafs

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
There is a game where Matthews (and Nylander) are getting to their individual goals but it's driving team success, where they play the right way and offense flows from that game. The support cast was doing everything right in that first period, and they staked out a 2-0 lead.

You don't have to play a shutdown game with this kind of firepower. They could have just played dialed in and kept building the lead, let the milestones occur as they come.

That first shift by the Matthews line was sloppy sloppy sloppy, sloppy. Boosh with a terrible cross ice to Marner, a rushed dump in, sloppy center ice work by Matthews, random Brodie level stuff from Rielly turns into a scoring chance that our goalie wasn't ready to make a save on.
They’ve lost three games in a row and have allowed 16 goals. They are not playing well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They’ve lost three games in a row and have allowed 16 goals. They are not playing well.

The Leafs just seem to sputter and can’t keep an even keel. On the pursuit front Matthews and Marner just look like their Columbus, Montreal series. Pressing but really neutralized.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think once Florida made the decision to go for it, Keefe basically told the boys to tone it down to avoid injuries. I really do. I mean other than going for the 70 what else did we have to play for? It may have seemed anti-competitive and gutless but he wasn't entirely wrong.

We could have easily matched them physically. We proved it in the first period and in previous games over the past few months as well. But continuing at that pace for a useless game could have been to our long term playoff detriment. Besides, the hockey gods made it clear: 70 wasn't happening (at least not last night).

I don’t think you can really have a tone it down mentality this time of year vs an opponent like that. This team is not an incumbent champion and we can’t just flip a switch and cruise control like we’re going to figure it out. We’ve never figured it out. And when the chips are down that losing muscle memory is going to be the end of this team. To me, the prep is all wrong.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The Leafs just seem to sputter and can’t keep an even keel. On the pursuit front Matthews and Marner just look like their Columbus, Montreal series. Pressing but really neutralized.
They're forcing everything to Matthews at all times and everyone knows it. It doesn't look a thing like any playoff series we've seen

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Their problem is they have a lot of offensive talent but are too easily shutdown by good defensive systems that keep them to the perimeter and block the passing lanes to Matthews. The Leafs best hockey this season was when they had a few players missing and that forced them to play a strong team game with defensive structure and lower risk passing and zone exits. I have no idea what type of team they aspire to be and what system Keefe wants them to play.

Reactions: weems

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They're forcing everything to Matthews at all times and everyone knows it. It doesn't look a thing like any playoff series we've seen

Well it does look like one of those park the bus and pack the slot kind of situations as in the playoffs meltdowns. But I don’t think we agree on that point.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Their problem is they have a lot of offensive talent but are too easily shutdown by good defensive systems that keep them to the perimeter and block the passing lanes to Matthews. The Leafs best hockey this season was when they had a few players missing and that forced them to play a strong team game with defensive structure and lower risk passing and zone exits. I have no idea what type of team they aspire to be and what system Keefe wants them to play.

Well Kyper says it best when he calls the Leafs a poor passing team. They kind of cycle around and spam their chances, try to break in so it feels like the door has been shut, and the connection between 16 to 34 is simply taken away. And the more they press the worse everything gets.

Reactions: weems and Ports
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad