OT: Leafs Lounge #157 - Apply Within

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
jesus christ I'm still creeped out by the paul george thingy but damn schenn that's a bad and sad tale bud. hope you are okay too.

First time I saw an injury like that was during the movie The Blind Side (great movie, btw) during the inteo wherevthey showed Lawrence Taylor's sack of Joe Theismann that ended Theismann's career.

That PG injury was mortifying to watch. Like, Game of Thrones level gruesome.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
First time I saw an injury like that was during the movie The Blind Side (great movie, btw) during the inteo wherevthey showed Lawrence Taylor's sack of Joe Theismann that ended Theismann's career.

That PG injury was mortifying to watch. Like, Game of Thrones level gruesome.

Sad thing is that wasn't a show that was the real deal but ****....just awful awful ****...hope he can recover properly because that's a big recovery. might be career threatening imo.

JMcLeaf

First thing I did after watching the Paul George video was watch the Kevin Ware one again to compare the two

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dood wtf! I was drink at 9am, not 4pm, get it right swerve.

Hunter Hayes and Blake Shelton to close it out yaaaaaaaas.

Ace88*

LOL bass pro hats

Tbh it's a sick store, like a grown up toy store. Gave me a good deal on arrows

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Must have! Cor will like this

cloud-1.gif

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
VOR buddy, you don't even know.

We gotta start up a chatzy for story time like Tuesday or whenever I wake up cause Imma pass out tomorrow when I get home.

You know those times when you sit back, and think, ****, life is good? **** is it ever.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
When was the last time a Toronto team made a splash during trade deadline? It sucks how we never make that big trade even when we have our teams making the playoffs for the first time in bazillion years.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Playoff baseball is a huge crapshoot. 1 game wildcard game plus 5 game division series, in a sport that's already insanely luck based as is. A ton of the greatest teams ever assembled have fallen to the craptastic format and the random luck that baseball can bring at times. I mean, even the 116 win Mariners were on the brink of elimination in the ALDS back in 2001 before losing in 5 in the ALCS. The early 2000's Oakland A's with some great pitching staffs were never able to make it out of the ALDS. Even the Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz-era Braves (greatest pitching rotation ever) only won 1 WS in about a decade together. Baseball is so random and luck based that unless you are already at the top (a playoff lock and a WS contender) can you afford to make that all-in big splash, and the Jays are far from that.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
College sports in my opinion is the worst. Some of the universities athletic departments will make a profit of up to 40m and the athletes that generate receive next to nothing. They only offer scholarships, sometimes not even guaranteed, and then they don't even necessarily care about the players education. For example, the graduation rate among football players is around 50% due to them accepting players with low test scores simply because they are able to play a sport well. Further, they ban the plans from signing endorsement deals, even further limiting their income potential. Some schools still charge athletic student fees despite revenues of 100m+. It's all just a giant money grab abusing the students.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
College sports in my opinion is the worst. Some of the universities athletic departments will make a profit of up to 40m and the athletes that generate receive next to nothing. They only offer scholarships, sometimes not even guaranteed, and then they don't even necessarily care about the players education. For example, the graduation rate among football players is around 50% due to them accepting players with low test scores simply because they are able to play a sport well. Further, they ban the plans from signing endorsement deals, even further limiting their income potential. Some schools still charge athletic student fees despite revenues of 100m+. It's all just a giant money grab abusing the students.

Don't forget the NCAA's fascist enforcement policies and rules. They once made some athlete sign an affidavit claiming he and his girlfriend are truly in love and that it isn't some impermissible benefit, as well as suspending and even booting guys for accepting free gifts, plane rides, or even a free meal. It's a bunch of draconian ********.

I implore you to watch the South Park episode parodying the NCAA with crack babies. It's so spot on.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Seeing how Grunt did one..

BIitz LL Application:

Favorite LLer: Tough call, if I had to pick one.. Rasky. Oh man Rasky and I have been through some times, the whole grade 12 girl saga, post game 7 chatzy, PNP, Rasky has always been involved with LL history.

Favorite LL moment: SS2 and I were having a posting contest in LL22. SS2 had the lead at post 936 by 4.

What'll happen next?

LL achievements:

20 LL gold medals by the LL centennial
Leader in LL medals before retirement
3rd in total posts for the historical LL #17
First ever LL post, LL #7, August 31, 2011

Ace88*

too bad for raskal he's forfeited all current and future shares in PnP.

Now btz it's time to do PnPnP and take over the world. Or at least Canada.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
in all honesty i wonder if we're going to have blockbuster trades in the NHL ever again. in the NBA it shouldn't be that big of an issue, right?

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Playoff baseball is a huge crapshoot. 1 game wildcard game plus 5 game division series, in a sport that's already insanely luck based as is. A ton of the greatest teams ever assembled have fallen to the craptastic format and the random luck that baseball can bring at times. I mean, even the 116 win Mariners were on the brink of elimination in the ALDS back in 2001 before losing in 5 in the ALCS. The early 2000's Oakland A's with some great pitching staffs were never able to make it out of the ALDS. Even the Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz-era Braves (greatest pitching rotation ever) only won 1 WS in about a decade together. Baseball is so random and luck based that unless you are already at the top (a playoff lock and a WS contender) can you afford to make that all-in big splash, and the Jays are far from that.

I agree with everything you're saying here. Regarding this year, I didn't expect the Jays to get a Price/Lester but someone like Cosart would have been great. Dickey is inconsistent as hell, Stroman is just a rookie. With all those guys, we have what you can say just 5 reliable starters. Morrow is probably gonna need significant time before he's back to last years form (probably next season). While he and McGowan can fill in somewhat, if one of the starters are down for the Jays in the long run, we are pretty screwed (unless Sanchez pitches like Stroman) given how tight the race is in baseball.

Anyways, nothing like burgers for breakfast.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
too bad for raskal he's forfeited all current and future shares in PnP.

Now btz it's time to do PnPnP and take over the world. Or at least Canada.

Nope. Never once said this to be true. Typical "journalist" though, taking one thing and making it into something else.

You don't even know what p n p is. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad