OT: Leafs Lounge #118: #BostonStrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
The problem with the literacy test is that it has no implications on the students writing it, which means no one gives full effort which results in inaccurate, useless results.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
The problem with the literacy test is that it has no implications on the students writing it, which means no one gives full effort which results in inaccurate, useless results.

It doesn't mark you based on your ideas. You could say the stupidest **** and you'd get full marks if you communicated them well.

Apr 1, 2010
It doesn't mark you based on your ideas. You could say the stupidest **** and you'd get full marks if you communicated them well.
That's all English is. A bunch of BS with your periods and commas in the right spots.

I said that to an English teacher and after a slight pause, he said, "Ya that's basically right."

That's what used to screw me up in English. 90% of the time there is no RIGHT answer like there is in Math.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
The literacy test is meant for students to show they have the necessary literacy skills (i.e., reading and writing) to function after high-school. That's it.

They do not care if you can write a five-paragraph argumentative essay at a university level, where you communicate and argue interesting ideas effectively.

Instead, all you need to do is show the basic functions of the standardized writing process. For example (in your essay):
1. Is there a thesis?
2. Is there an introduction paragraph?
3. Are there introduction sentences/concluding sentences to each paragraph?
4. Are there some supporting points for the thesis?
5. Is there a concluding paragraph?

For your reading, they will give you some short-texts, and then ask you multiple choice questions based on those readings to test your reading comprehension.

And that's about it. Most of your English courses, with Shakepeare and the like, are much more difficult.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
But you can bake 2 cookies and make 2 cups of tea for $3.

Not so smart now!!!

Cost of labour, CL! $10.25 per hour. Time to make 2 cups of tea I'd say 10 minutes. Time to make the batter + bake cookies = 20 minutes. That's 30 minutes = ~$5.13. 3+5.13=$8.13 and that's NOT including cost of electricity+gas to create the products. Boom.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Cost of labour, CL! $10.25 per hour. Time to make 2 cups of tea I'd say 10 minutes. Time to make the batter + bake cookies = 20 minutes. That's 30 minutes = ~$5.13. 3+5.13=$8.13 and that's NOT including cost of electricity+gas to create the products. Boom.

^ this man gets it

And in the time it took for you all to discuss it, I went to Tim's and got it :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad