Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose to Bruins 4-1

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
yup it's a problem but it could be worked around if he didn't have an full nmc

hopefully he realizes his time is up here , a year in the desert where few fans give a damn about hockey would be a graceful exist out of his contract

it's not going to pretty for him next year if he continues his steep decline
He will want to play on a team where he still might get 25g and 65p for his next contract and that won’t happen in AZ.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He will want to play on a team where he still might get 25g and 65p for his next contract and that won’t happen in AZ.
I doubt he'll waive to Zona but he'll need to find a team that'll play him in the top 6 and the Yotes might give him that opportunity

anyway it's probably wishful thinking on my part that the team would ask him to waive and he'd agree to it so i'm really just pissing into the wind , lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What did you guys think of the Refs blowing those 2 similar penalty calls? Somehow give the Bruins a 5 on 3 to start the game getting the wrong player on the Leafs and then somehow only give them 4 minutes on an obvious 6-minute call?

All this after blowing 2 continuation plays in the last game.

....and you wonder why so many conspiracy theories get started lol.

Those refs couldn’t be more obvious if they were wearing Neely, Bourque autographed jerseys. But they were hardly a factor in the outcome. Leafs didn’t come to play and weren’t serious.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
McCabe showed up? What, by hulking out over nothing and costing the team a goal against in the first few minutes of the game?

I'll give you that Domi tried to respond but he's not any good at being a rat.

The most pathetic part is probably Keefe saying that he was okay with Marchand's "accidental" hit on Knies. Even whatever's left of Jeff O'Neill's hockey mind can tell that was entirely on purpose. Sadly, nobody on this team is capable of responding in kind. Reaves is supposed to be the enforcer keeping other teams honest but was as usual of no use at all. It's hard to impose yourself if nobody wants to fight you and you're too slow to catch opposing players off guard.
Keefe's a twit. Tired of his post game BS when he thinks things are ok and we played ok. Bottom line is you keep losing. To say the hit on Knies was accidental my god. Anyone other than Marchand and maybe. Reaves irks me. Ya nobody will drop the gloves with you especially rat face but you telling me you can't throw him on the ice the same time 63 is and try and lay him out with a clean hit. Utterly disgusting watching this team and the core needs to be changed plain and simple.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
As I said, "as much on the D".

brodie goes on the guy in possession of the puck, mccabe protected the guy in front of the net. Kampf put pressure and was protecting the slot...

Can you tell me what nylander did? the only thing he had to do was protecting the cross crease. Geekie was the player nylander had to be sure he didn't get the puck and he would be able to do it pretty easily by working harder

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Domi and Bert really brought the intensity last night. Easy to see they will be a force in the playoffs, hopefully the rest of the roster follows suit.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Matthews is a better player than Pastrnak, but for me, just by a smidge, it's very close.

That's what's so frustrating about Matthews, if he had Pastrnaks mindset it wouldn't be close, we'd be like McWhoDavid?
Pasta has more goals than Matthews over the last 2 years...many more assists. Plays with an edge...hits and is clearly a leader all for 11.25. Matthews is a great sniper, very good defensively doesnt hit, doesnt lead and has no edge for 11.7 and soon to be 13+. I take Pasta all day every day if I had to choose. And thats not to take anything away from what Matthews can do. Crazy that we will have 3 guys making more than him next year and a 4th with the same salary.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
it was weird when the NHL's LEADING team traded a franchise legend HOF dman to a contender so he could have a chance to win a cup before he retired
sorry not trying to be a d**k but what do you mean by this?....I dont follow.

Nylander I bet was battling something. He had a bad game, couldn’t hold onto the puck, not engaged at all. Definitely didn’t seem 100%
I like Nylander a lot but his dipsy doodling while last man back at the blue line was pee wee level shit. sick or not

Reactions: rumman

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Pasta has more goals than Matthews over the last 2 years...many more assists. Plays with an edge...hits and is clearly a leader all for 11.25. Matthews is a great sniper, very good defensively doesnt hit, doesnt lead and has no edge for 11.7 and soon to be 13+. I take Pasta all day every day if I had to choose. And thats not to take anything away from what Matthews can do. Crazy that we will have 3 guys making more than him next year and a 4th with the same salary.
Go read the Bruins board and see how much they complain about Pastranak. All fans are the same everywhere. They roast the guy for his play when he isn't scoring.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
This will go over like a lead ballon but..

I said last night this game was more about the war than the battle. Within that lens I'm not necessarily down on the team, despite the obvious loss. We pushed back, we gave as much as we got, don't take for granted how many times in past years we just rolled over and died. Not last night, and we have another bruiser coming. Keefe made note of it as well, he wanted to see the competing piece and was pleased in that regard, I was as well.

I actually think we can take these guys, nothing I saw the last two games makes me think they're unbeatable. We need to tidy up our end is the main takeaway for me.
I agree that the pushback was a nice surprise and def got my respect, however, I was pretty high on the leafs the last month but these last 2 games against the bruins exposed the same problems we have had in the past imo. Shut down the flying moneymakers and we are toast Our supporting players could not have showed up anymore than they did last night and still...without the big boys being engaged we get what we got.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Matthews is a better player than Pastrnak, but for me, just by a smidge, it's very close.

That's what's so frustrating about Matthews, if he had Pastrnaks mindset it wouldn't be close, we'd be like McWhoDavid?
Disagree

Matthews is not a better player

Pastrnak outproduces him in a defensive system with worse linemates

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Go read the Bruins board and see how much they complain about Pastranak. All fans are the same everywhere. They roast the guy for his play when he isn't scorin
im aware of how fans are everywhere. That wasnt the point. I still take Pasta over Matthews. Over last couple years he still has more goals more points and plays with more edge and for less money and more term. Doesnt mean Matthews isnt a bona fide sniper...he is.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
im aware of how fans are everywhere. That wasnt the point. I still take Pasta over Matthews. Over last couple years he still has more goals more points and plays with more edge and for less money and more term. Doesnt mean Matthews isnt a bona fide sniper...he is.
I would wager that there is not a single person in or associated with the NHL who would take Pastranak over Matthews.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Nylander at the blueline playing with the puck losses it and Boston scores .
This is why we don't win in the playoffs .
They will never learn to make the safe play.
Crazy that no matter how many times Nylander gets burned on that, he'll always do it again

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Agreed. I think that is what holds us back quite often.

This forward up high, d stretched out system doesn't work in the playoffs, especially against a team like Boston.

They really need to change their system at even strength, on the PP and on the PK. We play a far too complicated system. And it looks like Sheldon doesn't change it regardless of the personnel.

The players we now have are far more comfortable in a simple north/south system, but because we have Matthews, Marner and Nylander we have to play this wide cycle, puck possession, forward up high system.

It is another situation where the GM and coach are not pulling in the same direction.
Scott Bowman couldn't get a cup out of these guys

Not because of JTs contract

Not because of a suspect dcorps

Not because of poor schemes or Will losing pucks at the blueline.

But because they as a team just don't have the desire to force the opponent to their knees and take victory. If the guys at the top aren't willing to do whatever it takes then why should the supporting cast bother hurting themselves getting it done.

Reactions: rumman

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Domi and Bert really brought the intensity last night. Easy to see they will be a force in the playoffs, hopefully the rest of the roster follows suit.
Since that was the most intensity either have shown this year I will cross my fingers and hope they bring that kind of jam in the playoffs.....but...it was one game, lets see how they respond against the Habs. Would be sweet if they start bringing what they brought last night on a regular basis.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Crazy that no matter how many times Nylander gets burned on that, he'll always do it again
Why would he stop? It's worth 11+ million according to Toronto management.

The core 4 are what they are, 4 soft skill guys, soft skill guys that just become soft in the playoffs.

The silver lining for this playoffs is that anybody who expects a run or even a series win hasn't been paying attention for the last 7 years. For the rest of us, we can go in expecting the worst from this pathetic bunch.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Since that was the most intensity either have shown this year I will cross my fingers and hope they bring that kind of jam in the playoffs.....but...it was one game, lets see how they respond against the Habs. Would be sweet if they start bringing what they brought last night on a regular basis.
Domi was so intense that he was on the ice for two goals against. That is the bigger issue.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Along with the disappointing efforts of Matthews and Nylander,it was disconcerting to see McMann put out a halfhearted effort. Does he think he’s cemented a starting spot on the team? And Reaves has to be more aggressive against teams like the Bruins. Boneheaded touch of the puck on the too many men penalty as well.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

Well put.
Disagree

Matthews is not a better player

Pastrnak outproduces him in a defensive system with worse linemates

I'm a big Pasta fan, I can see that argument!

The fact that he can play without a legit 1 or 2 C on the team or that you can double-shift him with a fourth-liners is crazy. Plus already mentioned effort. It trickles down the lineup. Your support cast needs to see that the core never relents and follow the lead.

But it's hard to disregard Matthews' hart seasons or ongoing 70 goal push.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Didn’t get benched either, I guess that was a one and done punishment, maybe Shanahan told Keefe to back off, wouldn’t surprise me in the least…….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad