Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose. Thornton on the first PP unit. Weak. Nice work keefe. Do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
You do realize that when you hit a post or a cross bar, you're inaccuracy still caused you to miss, right? Great teams have their best players EXECUTE and score when it matters. Imagine an NFL team losing a game by 6 points because their field goal kicker hit the uprights twice, and trying to take some moral victory from that.

You have to execute, or you lose. Period.

Game 1 of this series looked just like most of the Columbus series last year. The obviously more talented team showing no class in their ability to finish offensively.

I understand that very clearly. You should also understand the PP actually generated good scoring chances, barely missing. There's a big difference between a shit powerplay and one that just couldn't convert. When we stop creating chances is when you should be worried about it. Just keep Thornton off the PP.

Also need to get more bodies in front of Price.

Reactions: Gallagbi

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I didn’t think Matthews and Marner were very good at all. Yeah they got a few looks but the growth factor we need is for them to be hard to play against and battle. When you compare them to benchmarks I’m looking at like Mackinnon for Matthews and someone like Point for Marner, they don’t fight to make their skill plays. They elect to curl back and avoid going into traffic. They don’t stick up for their teammates like Hyman when they get thrown around. Other stars are doing that. They just don’t get it.

Not all skill players are built equally. Matthews won’t ever be Mackinnon and Marner won’t be Point. That doesn’t mean they can’t and won’t be effective. Matthews was far and away our best player against Columbus last year, and to me he did battle. I’d agree that Marner could have been better, but I don’t think we should be alarmed at these two quite yet.

We know these are going to be tightly checked games with not a lot of scoring. Certainly not with Price being Price.

We need the guys lower in the lineup to either produce, or play no event hockey. Thornton, as an example, was a catalyst in two goals against, and he doesn’t create anything offensively. That’s a problem to me when he gets important minutes.

I’d like to see an injection of some life into the bottom six. We need to give Montreal more to deal with in their own zone than just Matthews and Marner.

Reactions: hockeynorth

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
1 post.
8 Sog
5 hits
3 Takeaways
24 minutes

Created 2 great scoring chances for Nylander and Marner (neither could finish).
Drew 2 defenders on him all game long.
I mean, it's not like he coasted through a game.

He didn't coast, but he needs to score nearly every night in the playoffs or this team is done for. Impossible ask? Depends on if you want this team to go anywhere. He won the Rocket. He needs to finish at that level consistantly through playoffs or he'll be golfing in very, very soon.

Reactions: glue

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, a few of us pointed that out.

I hope Keefe has the balls to sit some of these old vets and not worry about hurting their feelings.
Gotta happen. What on earth possesses them to believe that Thornton would somehow elevate his game in the playoffs when the games get faster and harder?
I don't know what people see in Mik. He sucks.
He disappeared against Columbus last year too.

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
Know who wouldn't have Thornton/spezza loyalty?

Reactions: Chief keefe

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
The Engval, Hyman, Micheyev line is probably the most playoff ready line they have. The Matthews, and Marner combo can play with anybody. Put Foligno with others who can hit with speed. The guy is useless with the top two lines.
Keefe really made some strange decisions, and unfortunately, not for the first time. Dermott plays all season and you take him out for Sandin? Thornton on the PP makes no sense. Top line on for over 4 mins at the end. Dunno what it is with him, but some strange choices.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
The PP has to now be in the 'historically bad' category
Mitch played scare of his own shadow tonight, just brutal
Malhotra is literally useless if we get cleaned out on the draws and our PP is garbage, literally anyone on the Leaf payroll can do better
Ryan showed intelligence, but he also showed he cannot keep up. I need to see Engvall in the lineup

I still cannot believe we got absolutely bullied by the habs. :laugh:

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Keefe really made some strange decisions, and unfortunately, not for the first time. Dermott plays all season and you take him out for Sandin? Thornton on the PP makes no sense. Top line on for over 4 mins at the end. Dunno what it is with him, but some strange choices.

Part of me believe he wanted to surprise the Habs coaching staff

No reason for Nash to be in. He hasn't played in months. Dermott was much better after Lehtonen trade and much more physical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad