Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose. 6-4

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
To be honest. Dont be shocked if he has the most energy of all of them vs Boston. He gave up on 100 and went conservation. If I am wrong I am wrong

lol

Nylander is saving his energy for his summer vacation. He does not care in the slightest whether this hockey team wins or loses.

Reactions: rumman

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
This is the $7M Willie. We don't get the $11M version until July1st. :laugh:

I think we've had enough years experience now to know we're only ever getting 50% of whatever Nylander is.. they should have moved him last year while they could because I think that contract is going to age horribly. Hopefully he proves me wrong but I doubt it.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Mathews isn’t even close to being the “best Leaf” ever, he hasn’t won shit and until he raises a cup or two he can’t be mentioned in that discussion………..

Ditto…….
That is your opinion, but really isn't really all that true.

There are plenty of players who are considered to be the best on said team who never won.

Winning is a team accomplishment and too many factors are out of players control.

If he plays out his career here, there will be almost no chance he isn't considered the best player to play for the Leafs.

Odds are very low unless something drastic happens that he becomes the winningest Leaf ever

Reactions: ACC1224

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
It wasn't from lack of effort, he could have had 75 with a few breaks.

I think he's going to go off on one against the Bruins, he's playing so well right now.
That's true. Sure he was probably a bit pissed but I'll take a Matthews who has looked great and will already be salty going into this series.

He's the one guy we have that I think can win a series on his own if he goes on a heater.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Folks Matthews is beast. The difference between 69 and 70 is meaniless. Who cares Papi is a baller and nobody can be disappointed.

Now Nylander on the on hand. This dude few games back took a little body check and was never the same. Nylander was and is a bad contract. Anyone ever comparing Nylander random puck luck playoffs to Matthew needs to give head a shake. The truth is Matthews is the leafs. The best there is the best there ever was and the best there ever will be. Leafs and papi team and the guy does it all. Any leaf fan every talking smack on papi is nuts. Papi should be captain.
5 hits, 14 hits taken, and 4 blocks in his last 10 games, which are all well above his season average.

Shots about average, and how many times did he set up other players and not have them score?

I agree that Matty is the leader and should have been the captain, but I'm not as worried about Willy as I am about some others.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
5 hits, 14 hits taken, and 4 blocks in his last 10 games, which are all well above his season average.

Shots about average, and how many times did he set up other players and not have them score?

I agree that Matty is the leader and should have been the captain, but I'm not as worried about Willy as I am about some others.
You should be, he's been terrible.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

I guess whoever posted that didn't see what happened. Near the end of a 52 second shift (not 'mid shift') he knocked down a high pass (?) which negated an icing, but would have resulted in a faceoff in our end if he touched it again. Instead he chased the D back and went for a line change.

I'm not sure it was his fault that the two Leafs defencemen gave up a breakaway.

Reactions: Confucius

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I was under the impression that elite players can drive their own line, Nylander doesn’t get a hall pass for being useless imo, he’ll never live up to that boat anchor of a contract………

Sums up Nylander in a nutshell………
Sums up the bias some people have in a nutshell....

You should be, he's been terrible.
He's been unlucky - there's a difference.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Sums up the bias some people have in a nutshell....

He's been unlucky - there's a difference.
Disinterest isn't a lucky/unlucky thing. Matthews was unlucky, Nylander is disinterested.

Seems you're the only one here with a bias, the take on that video was something :laugh:

Even the coach admitted he's checked out. Hopefully he checks back in for the playoffs.

Reactions: torontoblood

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I guess whoever posted that didn't see what happened. Near the end of a 52 second shift (not 'mid shift') he knocked down a high pass (?) which negated an icing, but would have resulted in a faceoff in our end if he touched it again. Instead he chased the D back and went for a line change.

I'm not sure it was his fault that the two Leafs defencemen gave up a breakaway.

He chased the D back?

That is very generous. Did he also rush to make a quick line change at the end there too?

That was a pathetic play and the body language spoke volumes.

He could have at least taken the long bomb lane away before family skating off to the bench.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He chased the D back?

That is very generous. Did he also rush to make a quick line change at the end there too?

That was a pathetic play and the body language spoke volumes.

He could have at least taken the long bomb lane away before family skating off to the bench.
Usually around here there are a couple with a different take on things but this one seemed unanimous. I guess like they say "there's always one".

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Nah he quit everyone knew the situation.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Disinterest isn't a lucky/unlucky thing. Matthews was unlucky, Nylander is disinterested.

Seems you're the only one here with a bias, the take on that video was something :laugh:

Even the coach admitted he's checked out. Hopefully he checks back in for the playoffs.
Did you watch the video? Did you see what happened? My take on the video was accurate - certainly more so than the 'quit mid shift' nonsense.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nah he quit everyone knew the situation.
Did you not watch it? He deliberately did not touch the puck again, then went for a line change.

Would you have preferred he not knock the puck down and have it result in an icing with tired forwards? Would you have preferred he retouch the puck and have it result in a faceoff in our end? Would you have preferred he not change when the puck is deep in their end, but stay on the ice for more than the 52 seconds he was?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Did you not watch it? He deliberately did not touch the puck again, then went for a line change.

Would you have preferred he not knock the puck down and have it result in an icing with tired forwards? Would you have preferred he retouch the puck and have it result in a faceoff in our end? Would you have preferred he not change when the puck is deep in their end, but stay on the ice for more than the 52 seconds he was?
Yes I watched it. It's okay, he coasted.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Did you watch the video? Did you see what happened? My take on the video was accurate - certainly more so than the 'quit mid shift' nonsense.
Sorry you weren't really even close.
First, it wasn't going to be an icing the defender was right there. Second, Nylander should have engaged the player to allow others to change. That's what caused the breakaway, his teammates expected him to engage not glide by.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad