Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose. 6-4

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I’m glad the playoffs are coming and the team trying to force feed passes to Matthews will end.

As for this game, Jones is a rebound machine. Thank goodness we won’t see him again.

That defence is truly horrid. Lybushkin and Timmins horrific. Giordano and Brodie brutal. Even Benoit had a subpar game.

Nylander was as disinterested as ever. I guess 100 pts didn’t mean much to him.

Marner has had some pretty poor efforts. Recovering from a high ankle sprain isn’t easy. But, too many blind passes, flubbed passes, etc.

This team will ultimately be judged on the playoffs. If I see heartless disinterest from the onset, that will tell us all we need to know. Changes will have to be made.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
almost like there isn't a consistent pattern with this team that appears to repeat unlike with Boston. It's good to be optimistic I guess?

We went further than Boston last year... Why won't we this year?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
The coaching staff is done for the instant the season is over, regardless of outcome.

If they lose in the first round, the coaches are gone. If they lose in the second, it is a toss-up. If they make it to the third round, Keefe gets a big extension.

Reactions: sampollock

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Hard to produce with 3rd and 4th liners.
He was moved to the 3rd line after his terrible play continued for an extended amount of time. Tell me you haven't noticed a difference in his effort level. Half way thru the season it didn't matter who he was playing with and he was dominating.

Couldn't score on this guy

uvrgyy.jpg
Well, we got 4.passed.him.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Way too many hot takes on this game and the Panthers game . . . it is what it is, Matty didn't get any help/breaks from the goalies to get his 70th, and whatever - it's 69 dude, carry on.

None of the Leafs posters here should care or complain about these last 2 games - because I'm guessing they're ALSO the same guys wailing about how only the playoffs matter. Well, they played like it these last 2 games (for the most part, Panthers game was quite competitive both ways) in terms of not putting out 100% energy and mentality these last 2 - they are saving it for the playoffs folks.

So everyone just simmer down now, save those hot takes for game 1 through 6 of the first round, and just get your own head right on how to mentally prepare as fans for each game.

Because some of you are wound up JUUUUUUUST a bit too tight.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Matthews stuck on 69 just like his loser linemate stuck on 99 points last year. These two are certified losers for life.

He just did something that hasn't been done in nearly 30 years and your stance is that he's a loser for not getting one more :laugh:

In this HISTORY of the NHL here is a list of the players who have scored 69 goals or more in a season.

Gretzky
Lemieux
Hull
Mogilny
Selanne
Esposito
Kurri
Nicholls
Bossy

That's 9 other players who were able to hit that mark in over 100 years. 9!!! He's also the 9th player in NHL history to score 60 goals twice. You're going to seriously post that he's a loser :rolleyes: He's in elite company and has years to go still in his career,

I get the playoff frustrations as much as the next guy but that take is f***ing ridiculous.

TonsofPuppies

Send in the clowns...
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
He just did something that hasn't been done in nearly 30 years and your stance is that he's a loser for not getting one more :laugh:

In this HISTORY of the NHL here is a list of the players who have scored 69 goals or more in a season.

Gretzky
Lemieux
Hull
Mogilny
Selanne
Esposito
Kurri
Nicholls
Bossy

That's 9 other players who were able to hit that mark in over 100 years. 9!!! He's also the 9th player in NHL history to score 60 goals twice. You're going to seriously post that he's a loser :rolleyes: He's in elite company and has years to go still in his career,

I get the playoff frustrations as much as the next guy but that take is f***ing ridiculous.
It's not about the total. It's about failing to achieve your goal. You can say that one more goal is meaningless and technically speaking, you would be correct. Is there really a difference between 70 and 69? Not really, no. But it was important enough for him to risk injury before the playoffs to play their final two games. So it obviously meant something to him and the team. And once again, he couldn't rise to the occasion and finish the job. Just like Mitch when he got halted at 99, going for 100. This is their entire career synopsis. Always come up short. Losers, imo. That's why you have one playoff series win from this core in 7 years.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
That was really bad by Matthews. The entire team is out of sync going into the playoffs from trying to help him and he choked at the finish line.

Yes the season was amazing but when it was time to close the show he choked, the way almost every post season of his career has ended.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
It's not about the total. It's about failing to achieve your goal. You can say that one more goal is meaningless and technically speaking, you would be correct. Is there really a difference between 70 and 69? Not really, no. But it was important enough for him to risk injury before the playoffs to play their final two games. So it obviously meant something to him and the team. And once again, he couldn't rise to the occasion and finish the job. Just like Mitch when he got halted at 99, going for 100. This is their entire career synopsis. Always come up short. Losers, imo. That's why you have one playoff series win from this core in 7 years.

Wording it like this makes your position make way more sense than the post I quoted but imo that's a very short sighted stance since their careers are far from over. Some of the guys on the list I posted didn't win a cup until later in their careers.

Like I said I totally get the playoff frustrations but some of you guys act like winning a cup, or scoring 70 goals or putting up 100 points is easy and if it's not accomplished right away then they're "certified losers". It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Reactions: arso40

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019

Gretzky
Lemieux
Hull
Mogilny
Selanne
Esposito
Kurri
Nicholls
Bossy

The team went all in on setting him up for the past 2.5 games and he choked it. All their goalies got lit up with him on the ice the past week.

The difference between 69 and 70 was actually huge with so many people invested in it. If it wasn't a big deal the rest of the team wouldn't have been doing what they did.

NastyKnies

Feb 20, 2010
Canada
Wording it like this makes your position make way more sense than the post I quoted but imo that's a very short sighted stance since their careers are far from over. Some of the guys on the list I posted didn't win a cup until later in their careers.

Like I said I totally get the playoff frustrations but some of you guys act like winning a cup, or scoring 70 goals or putting up 100 points is easy and if it's not accomplished right away then they're "certified losers". It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
no one gives a f*** if said player scores 70 goals or 100pts. Its a team sport the end goal is to win.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
The team went all in on setting him up for the past 2.5 games and he choked it. All their goalies got lit up with him on the ice the past week.

The difference between 69 and 70 was actually huge with so many people invested in it. If it wasn't a big deal the rest of the team wouldn't have been doing what they did.
I never said it wasn't a big deal. It would have been awesome to see. And I agree, I would have preferred him to do it naturally instead of what we just watched. But not getting it doesn't make him a "certified loser"

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
he had 69 goals with 2 empty netters and like 24 posts(which led the league) auston matthews might have 80 goals in him one day.

anyways, sucked he didnt get 70 but not a huge deal to me. but the fact we sacrificed every other aspect of our game for this chase going into the playoffs is terrifying. im really not super confident that theres a switch to just turn on to play well on saturday.

only thing i can hope is that last period they snapped out of it finally and will play better going forward.

not feeling great about this year though.

Reactions: bax and NastyKnies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad