Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose. 6-4

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Our Leafs just lost 4 games in a row to end their season. What a great way to prepare for the playoffs.

Not a great way to show you are ready to handle any team in a playoff series.

I have NO CONFIDENCE in our Leafs playoff chances.

Reactions: rumman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Did Tampa even play well? The Leafs forced every pass to a single player, easy to shut down that line.

Jones didn't help... but I don't think Tampa played well, the Leafs just looked like they didn't care.

Our team put up 3 goals in the third and people were annoyed that they were scoring and it wasn't Matthews... everyone tuned in for Matthews and I am sure the players were the same.

Well, that's the core of the problem. The Leafs often don't care. And when it's time to care about something, they're not capable.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
The biggest problem in the playoffs IMO will be "Top 10" list:

1. Keefe
2. Keefe's hard on for Brodie
3. Keefe's galaxy braining
4. Marner (haven't like his game since he game)
5. Referees
6. Pasta/Marchand
7. Tavares' slow ass skating
8. Ulmark
9. Swayman
10. Leafs goal tending
Why don't you tell us how you really feel about Keefe

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Thankfully, starting at or about 8:15pm ET Saturday night no one is going to remember these last few games.
That's the beauty of the playoffs, the moment they start it's a clean slate for every player and every team.

And the one bright side of playing like crap to end the season is they may just enter the post-season underrated. And if I'm Keefe I'm hanging a banner in the locker room before game 1 reminding the team how the Bruins tanked just so they could draw the Leafs.

Reactions: ClarkSittler

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think it is interesting how much the team bent over backwards for Matthews but sat Marner at 99 last year and not a peep about Nylander stuck at 97 (although he has taken a lot of time off since signing).

Doesn't seem like great team building to have double standards even in the star section.
I mean... Nylanders was on his way until Keefe put him with 3rd and 4th liners. I mean, we couldn't have Marner return and have him pencil in with the 3rd liners could we?

Reactions: notDatsyuk

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Sick of hearing how these games are meaningless. Tampa and Florida did everything they could to prevent a milestone from being recorded against them. They have pride.

Maybe I am old school but I don't care if it is preseason or game 81, I want to win everything. There are men's league recreational teams with more heart than these bozos. Losing Nylander as a free agent at the end of this season would have been addition by subtraction.

Agreed 100%

Have some pride and competitive drive.. the constant excuses here are sickening.

No one is saying it is game 7 of the Stanley Cup but you have to at least show up and compete.

My old man would have given me so much shit if I mailed it in while playing sports like these professionals do.

These last several games were embarrassing.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Since post Game 5 against the Cats. We all been saying let’s see what the boys can do in the playoffs. Regardless of how they played in the season, we all know that success will be based on Wins in playoffs.
They just need to win 16 more games and nobody will care about AM didn’t get 70 or Willie signed a huge contract or Sammy is mentally weak, or JT is too slow, TJ just sucks…..
Can’t wait for Sat

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Well, that's the core of the problem. The Leafs often don't care. And when it's time to care about something, they're not capable.

Boston just lost 2 games to terrible teams... looks like we are about to play someone who also doesn't care.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The Florida game literally had meaning for Florida in chasing the division title, so that’s not really comparable.

The game tonight wasn’t some great effort from Tampa that undid us. Both teams were missing guys, both rested their goaltenders, both were trying to force their guy to a milestone - it’s less obvious with Tampa because Kucherov needed an assist and not a goal and they already run all their systems through him anyway, but they most definitely were.

Half our D tonight and the ones that played the worst I might add are unlikely to play game 1 of the playoffs. Jones was really bad. Our top 2 lines were completely out of sync from the moment keefe set them in this config.

There’s a lot of layers, and I get what you are saying, but the game was meaningless and there is no way around it
On the Tampa radio broadcast Hagel was interviewed after the first intermission, and he pretty much explicitly said that neither team was putting in much effort.

Reactions: Sypher04

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Our Leafs just lost 4 games in a row to end their season. What a great way to prepare for the playoffs.

Not a great way to show you are ready to handle any team in a playoff series.

I have NO CONFIDENCE in our Leafs playoff chances.
Not saying I'm confident...but I wouldn't be any more confident if we'd won 4 straight. The playoffs are a whole new ballgame.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Boston just lost 2 games to terrible teams... looks like we are about to play someone who also doesn't care.
I think the difference is that Boston has a working ON SWITCH, our Leafs, NOT SO MUCH !!!

Reactions: rumman

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Sick of hearing how these games are meaningless. Tampa and Florida did everything they could to prevent a milestone from being recorded against them. They have pride.

Maybe I am old school but I don't care if it is preseason or game 81, I want to win everything. There are men's league recreational teams with more heart than these bozos. Losing Nylander as a free agent at the end of this season would have been addition by subtraction.

Which they did a fairly poor job of. Matthews had 12 shots on goal tonight, including multiple incredibly close calls.

Luck/the hockey gods had more to do with keeping that milestone from happening than anything else

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
almost like there isn't a consistent pattern with this team that appears to repeat unlike with Boston. It's good to be optimistic I guess?

Reactions: Al14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad