Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose. 6-4

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Anyone disappointed tonight should recall the final team stats in 2008-2009.
Screenshot_20240417_215450.jpg

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Sick of hearing how these games are meaningless. Tampa and Florida did everything they could to prevent a milestone from being recorded against them. They have pride.

Maybe I am old school but I don't care if it is preseason or game 81, I want to win everything. There are men's league recreational teams with more heart than these bozos. Losing Nylander as a free agent at the end of this season would have been addition by subtraction.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I hate Keefe. But the past 2 games he let the idiots do what they wanted and they embarrassed themselves as usual. I don't blame him for this.
Well he trained them... took what 5 years before he began talking about benching players for not showing up. Sure he only did it to depth players but hey its the thought that counts. Dipsy doodle Marner makes the crowd roar with cute between the leg plays, exceptional figure skating like movements and exciting giveaways.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The biggest problem in the playoffs IMO will be "Top 10" list:

1. Keefe
2. Keefe's hard on for Brodie
3. Keefe's galaxy braining
4. Marner (haven't like his game since he game)
5. Referees
6. Pasta/Marchand
7. Tavares' slow ass skating
8. Ulmark
9. Swayman
10. Leafs goal tending

Yes, but I think Boston has their own issues. Don't forget that. We only focus on the Leafs, which is fine, but Boston has issues too. Both teams might very well get rinsed in round 2 by Florida.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Thread title should be: Mitch Marner costs Matthews 70 and the Leafs the game.

How someone can lack so much dignity is beyond me. Guy is a complete brat. It's one thing to try to chase a milestone it's another thing to give up on the game completely like it's peewee. How he can do that at this level is beyond me. He literally had an amazing play he coulda made, but decided to take a look and try to flip a backhand over 3 sticks across the slot to Matthews. That level of desperation is both pathetic and makes the milestone that much harder to reach. Play with at least a bit of honour or this is exactly what happens. Marner gave up on the game completely from the second the puck dropped. It's just a pathetic approach. Matthews probably woulda got 70 tonight if it wasn't Marner on his line tonight but no wittle babies must have requested they must play with each other at all times bc they are fwends.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
How many points did Nylander get in the last 10, anyone know? Hopefully he's been saving himself??

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Well, this appetizer should pair well with the shit sandwich main course.

We need to drill out the meaningless games talk around here. Did we all not just watch two other teams find meaning in showing up and winning big in Game 82 in Florida and Tampa? Did we all as fans not invest hours of personal time watching our team mail it in? Enough is enough with this meaningless games talk. It's important to find meaning in every game, winning or losing. There's got to be a standard and it has nothing to do with impact on standings.
I like your take

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Florida game literally had meaning for Florida in chasing the division title, so that’s not really comparable.

The game tonight wasn’t some great effort from Tampa that undid us. Both teams were missing guys, both rested their goaltenders, both were trying to force their guy to a milestone - it’s less obvious with Tampa because Kucherov needed an assist and not a goal and they already run all their systems through him anyway, but they most definitely were.

Half our D tonight and the ones that played the worst I might add are unlikely to play game 1 of the playoffs. Jones was really bad. Our top 2 lines were completely out of sync from the moment keefe set them in this config.

There’s a lot of layers, and I get what you are saying, but the game was meaningless and there is no way around it

And yet, Florida put the pedal down to get the harder matchup, and Tampa half assed their way to a curb stomping, what gives?

At the end of the day, if this team basically sucks, then they suck. If our star guys are the wrong stuff, maybe they're the wrong stuff and this is just the product we get. But "meaningless games" needs to be separated from "game with no implication on standings."

It's not particularly gratifying to invest time and energy in a product that doesn't find meaning in doing its best (for entertainment purposes). I'm not entertained by this scheduled mediocrity.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well, this appetizer should pair well with the shit sandwich main course.

We need to drill out the meaningless games talk around here. Did we all not just watch two other teams find meaning in showing up and winning big in Game 82 in Florida and Tampa? Did we all as fans not invest hours of personal time watching our team mail it in? Enough is enough with this meaningless games talk. It's important to find meaning in every game, winning or losing. There's got to be a standard and it has nothing to do with impact on standings.

Imo Tampa was pretty sloppy tonight. A couple guys battled for pucks that made for good clip fodder during intermission. But they were hardley dominant, gave up three goals in a period, ect

I get what you're saying about meaning, and that's fair, but if this was the NBA or NFL most of their starters would have been sat for a final game with equal (non-existent stakes).

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Those SN590 Toronto radio post-game guys Bourne and Bunkus are bad-mouthing and ridiculing us Leaf fans again for our concerns. Yet, they're already making excuses for upcoming Boston dominance due to Leaf "injuries".

I understand, their employer own the Leafs, but...

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Couldn't score on this guy

uvrgyy.jpg
hockey aside, guy over here will be telling the story of how he shut out Matthews tonight to his kids and son in laws for the rest of his days haha. Good for him can't hate a human making a memory. Leafs really disappointed today though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad