Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-1 ... Well that was kind of expected...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
^ I'll add that the Leafs had several chances to score while the game was in reach but whiffed on the chances (hence the gripping the stick too tight part) ... Then Florida blew it open

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Barkov is a stud, Panther's have a really good thing going with the young core and some character guys.

mikebel111*

He at least Dion won his scrap and was a +1. Rielly -2 an no fight :(

One thing we noticed over the years. If Dion is the one who ends up on the good side of numbers in games, that is not a good thing. No wonder we lost.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
One thing we noticed over the years. If Dion is the one who ends up on the good side of numbers in games, that is not a good thing. No wonder we lost.

Haha isn't that the truth, it's so weird! Although he bucked that trend this year mostly.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
boy, this team just... blows.

All of us were... 13 years younger the last time this team was anywhere near competitive.

Can you believe that? 13 years and counting?

That's just a long time in someone's life lol. It's a big chunk of an average person's lifespan to be honest.

But this thing just keeps on sinking into what appears to be a bottomless pit

Agree, and you know what, if you are a fervent fan like I was and I guess still am, it can affect you psychologically to invest that kind of passion into a consistent big loser. I remember competing at a pro level in a sport, and would suddenly choke or get anxious at key times in the match. I attributed it to watching the Griefs lose time and time again. I worked it all out, but it would just come out of nowhere.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Barkov is a stud, Panther's have a really good thing going with the young core and some character guys.

The Leafs rebuild is going to run up against a prime Panthers team one day, and they have some ingredients for an LA Kings East type situation. Hope we load up on plenty of size and skill the next few years!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The Leafs rebuild is going to run up against a prime Panthers team one day, and they have some ingredients for an LA Kings East type situation. Hope we load up on plenty of size and skill the next few years!

If thats the way the panters go we should couner with the hawks east version.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
boy, this team just... blows.

All of us were... 13 years younger the last time this team was anywhere near competitive.

Can you believe that? 13 years and counting?

That's just a long time in someone's life lol. It's a big chunk of an average person's lifespan to be honest.

But this thing just keeps on sinking into what appears to be a bottomless pit

Clearly the solution to this team's woes is to keep re-signing the same players we have to bigger and longer contracts, no?

Doesn't that make sense?

:laugh:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Didn't see the game.

The Leafs won more faceoffs, had way more hits, had less giveaways, had to kill more penalties and took more shots at the Florida goal. Was it not as bad of a loss as it appears?

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Remember when all people had on Bernier was that he let's in ****** goals? Well looks like Reimer is no different
Both goalies are ****, ship these 2 bums out the rebuild starts from the net

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
If thats the way the panters go we should couner with the hawks east version.

I find it hilarious at how much those situations would parallel each other.

Florida = LA

The big team that relies on possession and size (although Florida is yet to master puck possession like LA has), that drafted their number 1 D early in the draft and he exceeded expectations just like Doughty. Barkov the two way Centre (Kopitar) from Europe. A good prospect pool with a deep D core. The only thing left missing for them is a trade for an established scorer (IE like trading for JVR a la Jeff Carter) and signing a good free agent in the future (a la Marian Gaborik). Luongo is the least comparable parallel, but still elite at this point as was Quick.

Toronto = Chicago

The smaller, skilled team with a blend of size and skill (but more skill). Marner = Kane. The team relies on controlling the puck and not so much on dump and chase because they can't afford that like LA/Florida can. Although, the Leafs are further away in developing all the players for that. The system is very similarly though thanks to Babcock.

jt91ko21

Dec 7, 2014
Grabner.

i know the most will "slap" me after this but,
i saw the last Game and must say, with Grabner our Defens play (Defens-Offens) is better with him..
i was little disappointed wen he change the teams the last summer, but he is not as bad as everyone says. Ok he 's none a "5 Million Guy" but i think 1-2 Millions 3-4 Years and you have a good 3rd. liner and a Elite PK player.
don't kill me now please.

to Reimer.
the last Game was bad but for goalie is hard wen the defens not does anything.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
This is '80's style bad but if guys like Burke hadn't half assed rebuilds we might be way ahead of where we are now. We've waited this long I'm prepared to see it done right this time.

Go back to 1993, the year the Habs won the Cup, the Leafs are only four playoff rounds behind Montreal and Vancouver. That's years of being a pretty good team that would basically buy future Hockey Famers. Would you worry about drafting Matthews if you could just pen Stamkos to whatever he wanted? I'm not even sure Burke was the problem. The culture of the organization got from Burke what it wanted, not what it needed. It's like someone I knew throwing a big cam and a double-pumper carb on the 4x4 he built, then blaming it for being poor on gas mileage. The organization got what it asked for.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I find it hilarious at how much those situations would parallel each other.

Florida = LA

The big team that relies on possession and size (although Florida is yet to master puck possession like LA has), that drafted their number 1 D early in the draft and he exceeded expectations just like Doughty. Barkov the two way Centre (Kopitar) from Europe. A good prospect pool with a deep D core. The only thing left missing for them is a trade for an established scorer (IE like trading for JVR a la Jeff Carter) and signing a good free agent in the future (a la Marian Gaborik). Luongo is the least comparable parallel, but still elite at this point as was Quick.

Toronto = Chicago

The smaller, skilled team with a blend of size and skill (but more skill). Marner = Kane. The team relies on controlling the puck and not so much on dump and chase because they can't afford that like LA/Florida can. Although, the Leafs are further away in developing all the players for that. The system is very similarly though thanks to Babcock.

Or, they could add another piece or two from the free agency pool like they did with Jagr maybe (versus trading)?

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL

It's a LONG time coming. Followed the team hardcore while I lived in Florida (moved back to Canada) and people were sleeping a lot on the team. But the big thing is their 2010 draft. First 40 picks they pulled Howden, Bjugstad, Gudbranson, and Petrovic who are all playing on the active roster right now. Just good trades by Tallon, they've flown hard under the radar but Tallon isn't afraid to move parts and get something that works, they've traded and tinkered a ton on the forwards but never seemed to change around the defense.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Go back to 1993, the year the Habs won the Cup, the Leafs are only four playoff rounds behind Montreal and Vancouver. That's years of being a pretty good team that would basically buy future Hockey Famers. Would you worry about drafting Matthews if you could just pen Stamkos to whatever he wanted? I'm not even sure Burke was the problem. The culture of the organization got from Burke what it wanted, not what it needed. It's like someone I knew throwing a big cam and a double-pumper carb on the 4x4 he built, then blaming it for being poor on gas mileage. The organization got what it asked for.
1993 was built on a couple of huge (in terms of player numbers) killer trades that worked out tremendously and couldn't possibly happen in 2016 cap world plus the emergence of Potvin. The buying or trading for of over the hill future hall of famers was more during the Quinn period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad