Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-3 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Isles fans. Many of them are still upset that he decided to leave as a free agent. Earlier in the year he wanted to stay, but they fired the coach and GM and Tavares decided he would look elsewhere.
It was a tongue-in-cheek question to start with, and that's a different slant on his leaving than I've heard before.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
On a night where the Leafs just didn't have 'it'. I think getting a point is pretty good.

Would love to know who currently has the bug going around the room, could explain a lot.

Getting points out of a possible 10 the last 5 games and the usual suspects are here chicken little all over the place.

Remember mistakes are made by all players on every team, not just a select few Leafs players (that should set some Trolls off)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
McCabe iced the puck, kicked the draw to the point man and let his man deflect the shot in for the OT winner. What a sequence!
It looked like Barzal passed the puck back.

You could just as easily point out that Matthews missed the pass on the icing, and lost the draw, and that Marner didn't get out to cover his man quick enough.

Lots of ways to look at it, including just 'they made a great play'.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Didn't get to watch much of this one, only saw pieces here and there. Shame to hear that McCabe was the one who made the costly mistakes in OT, I think he's been terrific the last little while. Defending well and jumping up into the play in the offensive zone far more than I expect from him.

Mistakes happen, we all gnash our teeth and move on. This team as a whole is still doodoo with no mental resilience, but McCabe has been a bright spot this year. Nice to see Matthews bag a few as well, that's pretty much the only thing worth watching on the Leafs in 23/24.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
With a little effort by Nylander that 2nd goal is never such a wide open look.
Bert was in the high slot (without a stick, to be fair) and JT was near the net, but it was Willy who went from covering their right D all the way across to try to reach their left winger. I think more of the problem was that Lilly got mixed up when their players crossed, and followed the wrong player.

Reactions: ACC1224

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I thought they played fine, some pretty bad defensive breakdowns but for the most part limited NYI

COL on Saturday will be a big test, though. We'll see how the defense holds up...

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
TWS on the isles board man...

This dude got kicked off the leaf boards, jumped to the sabres bandwagon, when the stunk, he quit them for the jets, when they didnt work out he left them for the isles.

He is unhinged as ever

• Haha
Reactions: Tarmore
Oct 18, 2010
Still not the most brutal gaffe by a McCabe in ot for the Leafs lol.

The worst was in the playoffs when he lost his mind after a hit and joined the rush and went into the corner in the offensive zone. It doesn't even make sense to go in the corner, go into the slot if anything.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well it was bound to occur .. our D is not very good folks .. well Brodie, Gio and McCabe omg they each really stunk up da joint .. but really it falls on Keefer to assess and make in game and OT adjustments .. by my assessment it was pretty obvious only Rielly and then Lily and then back to Rielly would have been da simple strategy on D .. Benoit was fine (in fact playing much better than I expected) .. I missed a bunch of games away on siesta but our D has not changed much .. we gotta fix these issues Tre .. please do not wait around to TDL to fix .. this is not a winning formula for playoff D

Reactions: OddyOh and TMLife17

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
As for this game

Boys played well, pucks didnt end up in our favor at the end of the day

We are like 15-5 in our last 20 i think

This despite a weak defense, injuries to Woll and Samsonov selling

Keefe has had a B+/A- season so far

Big 4 collectively around A- (nylander and matthews higher and Marner and JT lower)

Depth is a solid B --> Jones been great, Benoit very good, Domi good and Bert disapointing. Reeves+Klingberg on R. Island

We are playing exactly how I expect. A top 7 to 8 team in the league.

Hopefullu we get some additions at the TDL and the big 4 find a way to make it work this year

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
My only takeaway from that game is Islanders fans are mentally unhinged. Tavares left 6 years ago, get over it. You were gifted two powerplays that you scored on and you were still screaming at the refs every second nothing play.

Reactions: OddyOh and Al14

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Matthews was the best player on the ice tonight by a mile.
I agree, however like my wife said after the game 'Having Matthews means nothing if you can't consistently beat mediocre teams and also excel in the playoffs.' She also said 'Where was Nylander? He was pretty much invisible considering the huge contract extension he just signed for next season.'

My wife was not wrong.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The 2nd goal not many goalies, if any, make that save.

So basically you expect the goalies to let 2 or less goals in every game or they stink?
Friend, at the end of the day every regular poster on this Leaf forum knows you have a dim opinion of the Leaf’s goaltending situation. Your opinions have been expressed consistently, clearly, and ad naseum. We get it. Of course you have the right to express your opinion, but unless you think you are a poor communicator, which I would not agree with, please consider adding to the discussions by saying something new. We don’t need to read the same thing time and again, it’s tedious. I’m not trying to insult you, I’m just letting you know you’ve made your point. Cheers.

Oh I don't believe I'm a poor communicator, in fact if I'm being honest in my real life talking is my greatest skill, any time somebody needs a speech delivered or something I'm usually the one that does it because I can do it on very short notice and I don't have to write anything down I just talk.

So no I don't believe I have poor communication skills quite the opposite.

The problem is there isn't much new to bring because I can look at every loss this year And put it on goaltending including last night and that's legitimate, that's not hyperbole, Samsonov himself has cost this team 10 points.

This team has 50 points they should have 60.

I hope Woll can get healthy and can be the guy so that I can look at the defense and go "there is the issue."

But right now I have the defense completely off the hook because there are to many softies going in there were 2 last night alone.

You might not want to read it, hell I might not want to post it.

But until it changes you will.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Lol, just reading the Isles thread.
That ex leaf fan has gone full on bunny boiler over there, his obsession with this team is nuts.
Pretty sad if not so funny.
I can appreciate Tavares hurt their feelings but it's probably time to move on.

The Winters Soiled Diaper has awoken!

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Does Marner look slow or is it me?
Also where did the hitting go?
It's hard to tell since I don't think he has attempted to skate this season yet. He tries to run a half court basketball offence inside the zone where is is always stationary looking to pass the puck.

His game this year resembles way to close to Kyle Wellwood, a MUCH MUCH more skilled Kyle Wellwood but worrying none the less.

Reactions: 67leafs and thewave

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Well it was bound to occur .. our D is not very good folks .. well Brodie, Gio and McCabe omg they each really stunk up da joint .. but really it falls on Keefer to assess and make in game and OT adjustments .. by my assessment it was pretty obvious only Rielly and then Lily and then back to Rielly would have been da simple strategy on D .. Benoit was fine (in fact playing much better than I expected) .. I missed a bunch of games away on siesta but our D has not changed much .. we gotta fix these issues Tre .. please do not wait around to TDL to fix .. this is not a winning formula for playoff D
A 'siesta' long enough to miss a bunch of games is called 'hibernation'. :laugh:

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Lol, just reading the Isles thread.
That ex leaf fan has gone full on bunny boiler over there, his obsession with this team is nuts.
Pretty sad if not so funny.
I can appreciate Tavares hurt their feelings but it's probably time to move on.
That level of commitment is legitimately impressive, although for very pathetic reasons.

Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad