Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Sammy could be better, but why the f*ck are we stripping context from 3 game sample?

Swayman has a much easier time behind Bruins D . We are doing everything in our power to boost his save % with Marners Corsi jerks.

Compare it to the first shot of the game Sammy faces -> 2-1. You reap what you sow. Swayman would look like Sammy here.
ill take that bet

Reactions: leafs in five

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021
I noticed that The leafs were Struggling to move the puck on transition and had difficulty to operate in tight spaces. And they had defensive breakdowns at the wrong places and at the wrong time.

Mediocre goaltending (bad untimely goals allowed at the wrong time) and ineffective special teams(0/5 on the powerplay, bad PK) both ultimately killed the leafs last night. You just can’t both overcome a bad power play and bad goaltending in the playoffs. Impossible.

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I noticed that The leafs were Struggling to move the puck on transition and had difficulty to operate in tight spaces. And they had defensive breakdowns at the wrong places and at the wrong time.
Through 3 games, the Leafs have created almost nothing in odd-man rushes. By creating a blueline of mutants, they've set themselves up for this.

Reactions: torontoblood

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
We didn't generate a ton last night

Generated the same as the Bruins... it is hard to win when we do that because of the goaltending difference.

I thought we had better chances even, but it was close enough.

Hard to do when all of our D are there to hit things and block shots.

Reactions: torontoblood

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Generated the same as the Bruins... it is hard to win when we do that because of the goaltending difference.

Looked about even on chances but relatively few. We traded in close chances for wide open ones. Some great saves by Swayman in tight, but he didn't face the breakaways of uncovered shots Sammy did.

Either way, it's was relatively low event as far as scoring chances.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I was so confident going into last night, I should've known
That’s what they do. They suck us back in just to stick the nice in again

Yup, JT’s problems aren’t for a lack of effort, he’s just done, I put him in the same boat as Gio, all the heart, but the tanks empty…….

Come on, you know he wants the return of the prodigal son………..
I know I just want to hear him say it. Lol

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

This is so physical a series with our Leafs finally pushing back (which I'm loving personally as REAL hockey) that you should catch a game because you would be proud of how the Leafs are engaged it would remind you of old time hockey, This isn't Dubas Figure skaters on display any more as Leafs lead by Reaves have a real identity again and Treliving's big, mean and mobile defense lead by additions Simon Benoit, Joel Edmundson & Ilya Lyubushkin are really making things tough in for the Bruins,

Leafs have always found creative ways to lose.

We can only dream of Gilmour body switching with marner ...

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
was thinking about the Jarnkro whiff again just now, can't recall ever seeing a player completely miss a pass to that extent. like you see guys swing through attempted one-timers but this was like a baserunner avoiding being hit by a ground ball

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
That’s what they do. They suck us back in just to stick the nice in again

I know I just want to hear him say it. Lol
Good luck with that, hates shen you point the obvious out to him, but he’s slways good gor a laugh…….

Reactions: Racer88

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He was 3rd line C for the last several seasons, what confuses you, buddy?

What confuses me? Gee, I dunno, maybe the part where you called a 60-point centre "a fourth line centre" and then pretended he was grossly overpaid.

Then you want to pretend that Coyle has 60 points because he is getting "significant" ice time because he's Boston's "only" centre. Nevermind that Coyle barely played 18 minutes a game and never mind that Coyle, their "only" centre wasn't even the centre who led them in average time on ice.

It's okay to admit you were wrong and don't know what you're talking about it. It looks a lot better than this "doubling down" where you just get more stuff wrong.

Last edited:

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021
The positive things about our defense: with the exception of Timothy Liljegren and T.J Brodie, our defensemen are intimidating and physical. They punish opposing forwards with devastating hits, they block shots, they are good at protecting and clearing the front of the net, they take space and time away from the opposing forwards because of their size, visual-spatial awareness, reaction time, positioning and strength .
Through 3 games, the Leafs have created almost nothing in odd-man rushes.By creating a blueline of mutants, they've set themselves up for this.
The negative things about our defense:the leafs defense corps is slow, plodding and bad at puck moving and generating offense. They are good at Even Strength, but struggle in the PK. They can’t initiate offense raids, create oddman Rushes and overwhelm the opposition because they lack offensive flair/instincts and speed. And they can’t score goals (except Reilly) because they can’t shoot . Their shots are inaccurate and lack power/precision. Reilly and maybe McCabe are the only ones on that blueline that can shoot and score goals from the point and from the faceoff area.

Hard to do when all of our D are there to hit things and block shots.

Last edited:

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
it was kind of bogus how the refs blew it dead when Wotherspoon was hurt after blocking a shot clearly on his leg, there has got to be a head impact or visible trauma to be blowing it dead

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
What was the point if starting Ullmark indeed, that was a mistake imo……
Montgomery has said it was all scripted for the first 4 games where they would both get 2 starts.

I don't really understand that. Preseasom or regular season sure, but that seems ridiculous

They wait for us to get hard before they kick us in the dick.
Lol.

That sums it up pretty accurately

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Why is it more often than not goalies are on when playing the Leafs? Even relative nobodies like Korpi and Elvis in 2020.

Look at Colorado, they are making a great goalie like Helle look ordinary. Their fans can’t cry that the goaltender against them is too good.

Hasn't Hellebuyck always done poorly in the playoffs though?

Reactions: Cleetus

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
As much as I don't think I can handle it, what if this year we re-write the 2013 script? Been identical so far through 3 games.

- Lose Game 1 in Boston, check.
- Win Game 2 in Boston, check.
- Lose Game 3 in Toronto, check.
- Lose Game 4 in Toronto?
- Win Game 5 in Boston?
- Win Game 6 in Toronto?
- Slay the Dragon Game 7 in Boston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad