Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Also, special teams being a joke will sink us.

That Debrusk goal last night was a masterclass in how to not PK. Three idiots end up in the corner trying to cover and leave him wide open in front of the goal. Like this shit is basic, basic stuff and just shows our guys either have low hockey IQ or just aren’t situationally aware.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Sammy could be better, but why the f*ck are we stripping context from 3 game sample?

Swayman has a much easier time behind Bruins D . We are doing everything in our power to boost his save % with Marners Corsi jerks.

Compare it to the first shot of the game Sammy faces -> 2-1. You reap what you sow. Swayman would look like Sammy here.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Sadly, Keefe is just too big an obstacle to overcome. Another year burned due to Dubas.

The gift that keeps on giving.

Extending him.. Is on Tre though. Sigh
I got to believe it was Shanahan who made that call, that and extending Styles mid season, both of which are fireable actions imo…….

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Interesting note Knies was tossing his weight around all night credited with 6 hits..

After the 2nd period the hits total were Boston 52 - Leafs 48 and they pointed out that was the most combined hits after 2 periods by 2 teams in the past 6 years.

There was a stretch in the game early where it was getting a little dull and nothing happening then Benoit unload on Pastrnak and Reaves immediately smash into and another Bruin sending him flying and and intensity went from 0 to 60.

This is so physical a series with our Leafs finally pushing back (which I'm loving personally as REAL hockey) that you should catch a game because you would be proud of how the Leafs are engaged it would remind you of old time hockey, This isn't Dubas Figure skaters on display any more as Leafs lead by Reaves have a real identity again and Treliving's big, mean and mobile defense lead by additions Simon Benoit, Joel Edmundson & Ilya Lyubushkin are really making things tough in for the Bruins,

This has been a black and blue series and I would be surprised if more and more players go MIA due to bruises of the physical play.
One can definitely notice more of a snot factor to these Leafs, Tre knows it’s essential in the playoffs……..

Reactions: ToneDog

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Never going to win anything with this pk. Kampf and McCabe on the 2nd Bs goal, lolololol, wtf are they doing? McCabe (again) just runs off and vacates the net when the other d is already engaged in the corner and Kampf stands there like a lamppost. Is this coaching or just braindead players that can't be taught?
I just wish our goalie would be able to catch a puck and hold it instead of having it hit his glove and going right out to the slot for a freebie.

Reactions: Al14

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
And despite that - and that fact that he's largely got a free ride form the press for repeated playoff failures - there are *still* people in this very thread that think the issue might be that Marner can't handle the pressure of this market.

This is a great market to be a "star player"; the media is owned by the team and most of them are bordrer line cheerleaders and apologists.

Marner's issues have nothing to do with the market or the media or pressure. His issue is he is buttery soft and believes his level of talent somehow precludes him from some of the more undesirable elements of the game, namely the physical play and paying a price to go to the highly contested areas on the ice.

He simply won't do it, and when the playoffs roll around, that isn't optional. You either pay the toll, or you go home early.

The issue is for the past five years, the team has encouraged Marner to maintain his distinctive east-west playmaking style. However, the team has recently shifted its strategy to a more direct north-south approach. This change has left Marner caught between continuing with his familiar style and adapting to the team's new direction.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Sammy could be better, but why the f*ck are we stripping context from 3 game sample?

Swayman has a much easier time behind Bruins D . We are doing everything in our power to boost his save % with Marners Corsi jerks.

Compare it to the first shot of the game Sammy faces -> 2-1. You reap what you sow. Swayman would look like Sammy here.
How easy of a night do we consider it for Sammy if he makes the routine save on Frederic and puts the DeBrusk rebound to a safe spot? Neither were difficult saves, albeit he did make some on the breakaways/odd man rushes

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I have no idea, sounds like a foolish move to me……..
I don't know why he did it in the first place, but it seems to me that it would be even more bizarre to abandon the rotation after only 3 games.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't know why he did it in the first place, but it seems to me that it would be even more bizarre to abandon the rotation after only 3 games.
Other teams usually make adjustments even if the mantra in Toronto is “nothing wrong, run it back…….”

Reactions: ToneDog

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Not sure why Domi is not on the 1st PP. Has a lot of chemistry with Matthews and Bertuzzi, excellent playmaker and passer, and can handle the puck well.

Can't believe how mellow Keefe was on Marchand's trip that led top a goal. I am pretty low key as a coach, but that one I would have been screaming.

I like Robertson. It would be great to see him with a little more talent around him.

I was watching a Ranger's game and it was amazing to see the movement and opportunities created on their PP.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Also, special teams being a joke will sink us.

That Debrusk goal last night was a masterclass in how to not PK. Three idiots end up in the corner trying to cover and leave him wide open in front of the goal. Like this shit is basic, basic stuff and just shows our guys either have low hockey IQ or just aren’t situationally aware.
Imagine Scotty Bowman or Barry Trotz witnessing a braindead ****show like that. It just absolutely would not be allowed or tolerated.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
It's gut check time for TOR. If they lose the next one they are going to Boston in a body bag.

Toronto doesn't have the defensive game (forwards and D), nor the discipline (simple game/stay with the system/dumb penalties).

If they can adjust and turn it around it'll be sweet, but it's looking like a steep hill to climb.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

I'd argue that Swayman doesn't give up any goals that Samsonov gave up last night.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Bruins have a solid team, but they have glaring holes, like Coyle - solid 4th line C (overpaid as f*ck ! Seriously, I b*tch about some of our contracts, this one trumps most... but he is big body and plays like it in playoffs..)

What?

You think Charlie Coyle is a fourth line centre? Charlie Coyle had 25 goals and 60 points. In what world is that a fourth line player?

The Bruins pay a $5.2 million cap hit for a 60 point centre who plays in all situations. How is that overpaid at all, let alone "overpaid as f***!"

You're either confused about who Charlie Coyle is or you're confused about his contract.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
They've won just 1 of 9 against the Bruins.

They now have to win 3 of the next 4.

They are already in the body bag - just waiting for someone to close up the zip.
Just means we're due.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
What?

You think Charlie Coyle is a fourth line centre? Charlie Coyle had 25 goals and 60 points. In what world is that a fourth line player?

The Bruins pay a $5.2 million cap hit for a 60 point centre who plays in all situations. How is that overpaid at all, let alone "overpaid as f***!"

You're either confused about who Charlie Coyle is or you're confused about his contract.

He was 3rd line C for the last several seasons, what confuses you, buddy?

Yes he has 60 points now, playing significant minutes as team only C (forget 1C or 2C, the only C). He was a significant downgrade from DK or Bergy that's why despite their age and injuries he failed to crack top 6.

Coyle is on value contract as much as Marner. Was that your point?

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
We are the underdogs.......stuff happens.

We can play with them....but our special teams failed last night. Its not lack of trying...I dont think Mathews and the likes are like oh well ...we better not score on the PP. They are trying but just like in years past....we have no luck.

We spent time getting some grit but at the expense of our PK? I think its more coaching and adjustments and you have to have a goalie win you a game in playoffs.

But with three 11 mil dollar players.......plus Reilly ....you should expect a dangerous PP...and be consistant

On to the next game. Win that and its a best of three

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He was 3rd line C for the last several seasons, what confuses you, buddy?

Yes he has 60 points now, playing significant minutes as team only C (forget 1C or 2C, the only C). He was a significant downgrade from DK or Bergy that's why despite their age and injuries he failed to crack top 6.

Coyle is on value contract as much as Marner. Was that your point?
Coyle ..... 25 goals .. 60 points @ $5.25 mil
vs
Tavares .. 29 goals .. 65 points @ $11 mil

So Leafs 2nd line Center Tavares has a Difference of 4 goals & 5 points & +$5.75 mil

Boston is getting Coyle and Marchand combined cap for nearly the same cap as Tavares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad