Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Keep making excuses for the core players. 0 for 5 on the pp, what do you want Samsonov to do about that? Swayman is good but he is not prime Patrick Roy. Find a way to beat him.

Can you point out where in my post I am making excuses?

I'll save you some time, you won't be able to find it.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I am still scratching my head why people blaming the goaltending last night. Only allowed 3 goals + an empty netter. Sammy made big saves too. What do you want him to do? Leafs also went 0 for 5 on the PP, how is that on the goaltending? Swayman is not prime Patrick Roy either.
Samsonov was fine. He should keep the net for game 4, especially since Boston will likely go back to Ullmark.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Did not like the first goal on samsonov at all. You cannot allow that goal in a playoff game where games are tighter. That said, I though aside from that he played good game. The problem is the guy at the other end played still significantly better. Thats just facts.

Special teams are our biggest problem right now though. We can and did get back the softie Sammy allowed, but the PP is sputtering and the PK can’t keep the puck out of our net.
Bad goals, slow D, inability for the D to make a pass up the ice, the PP, the PK, coaching, and some forwards that can’t compete in these types of games.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I find at times you can feel the nerves of the fanbase in the building, it's almost like the building is holding it's breath.
Think that's part of it, for sure.

But this general sense of 'entertain me, then I'll make some noise' is nuts to me. Just a complete lack of wanting to get themselves involved in the atmosphere and helping the team - the fans have a roll to play here, too

Reactions: ACC1224

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I find at times you can feel the nerves of the fanbase in the building, it's almost like the building is holding it's breath.
It's a nervous crowd. Makes sense given they allowed a goal while heckling Swayman to make it 1-1, then lost the tie while the goal was still being announced

Reactions: egd27

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Talking about the refs is silly. The Leafs had 5 PPs and didn't score on any of them plus gave up 2 goals on the PK. Even on the play where Matthews was tackled then Bertuzzi tripped, all Samsonov had to do was be even close to in position and it's a non-issue. The Leafs lost that game all on their own.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Talk McDavid into coming to Toronto?
He will get tackled to the ice, with NO PENALTY being called, just like our American born Matthews was last night.

The main focus of the NHL is to appease and gain MORE fans for their American based teams.

There HAS NOT been a Canadian team winning the SC for over 30 years for a reason.

• Haha
Reactions: stealth1

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
He cost goal #3 the GWG

Way to soft, bad IQ and turnover prone with no offense

He is game 7 Gardiner every night with no special skating or passing skills
I said in another thread - Liljegren is about as vanilla a defender that's out there. Absolutely 0 skills/characteristics that stand out. Would rather have Brodie in than him, tbh and I'm about done with Brodie too.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Think that's part of it, for sure.

But this general sense of 'entertain me, then I'll make some noise' is nuts to me. Just a complete lack of wanting to get themselves involved in the atmosphere and helping the team - the fans have a roll to play here, too
I don't think it's all that different from other buildings. Most are loud coming out of commercial breaks and then are reactionary as the play goes on.
Just opinion and by no means saying it couldn't be better.

Reactions: egd27

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It's still the same shit every year. It's actually pathetic how bad this group is at home during the playoffs. Shouldn't even bother playing at home anymore.
Quebec’s looking for a team, so is Houston…….

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Team played fine. Mistakes will be made. That PP and PK though is what is killing this team.

If the goalie didn't make the saves, we didn't get PP working and PK wasn't working, did we play fine?

There's more to it in a game than just effort.

We out hit them, out worked them in many areas. No doubt.
But to me, we always seemed to be one mistake away in every game

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He will get tackled to the ice, with NO PENALTY being called, just like our American born Matthews was last night.

The main focus of the NHL is to appease and gain MORE fans for their American based teams.

There HAS NOT been a Canadian team winning the SC for over 30 years for a reason.
Leafs had 5 pps to Bostons 3.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Lots to unpack from last night, but as someone who was in the building and has the privilege of going to a lot of these home playoff games - last night's atmosphere was shocking.

I can't believe we all spent a few days watching Jets, Canucks, and Edmonton fans turn their buildings into cauldrons of noise, atmosphere, and intimidation, and we as a fanbase mustered up... that?

Large stretches where that place was so quiet. I understand completely the jadedness of the fanbase and the general levels of pessimism when it comes to this team / core etc., but absolutely no reason not to get involved and try and support the team.

The number of times you could hear the players actually communicating with each other, even up in the 300s, was insane. Could clearly hear Swayman yelling instructions to some of his Dmen in the 3rd, and once Marchand scored that place was a morgue.

So disappointing.
I wasn’t there but by the midpoint of the game when they couldn’t make a simple pass, I felt like they weren’t going to get any momentum and it would take a fluke for them to win.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If the goalie didn't make the saves, we didn't get PP working and PK wasn't working, did we play fine?

There's more to it in a game than just effort.

We out hit them, out worked them in many areas. No doubt.
But to me, we always seemed to be one mistake away in every game

Mistakes are just more costly when it is hard to score, and Swayman has been amazing so far, he's been beating our shooters.

Reactions: fahad203

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
my dad sent me the Marchand interview where he's gushing over the different Leafs and idk to me it seemed like bait, and then we get Bert following him around the ice looking for a sword fight and head hunting after. god DAMMIT
He's trolling. Years ago he recommended the Leafs pay Marner whatever he asked and people thought it was respect...he knew.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Lots to unpack from last night, but as someone who was in the building and has the privilege of going to a lot of these home playoff games - last night's atmosphere was shocking.

I can't believe we all spent a few days watching Jets, Canucks, and Edmonton fans turn their buildings into cauldrons of noise, atmosphere, and intimidation, and we as a fanbase mustered up... that?

Large stretches where that place was so quiet. I understand completely the jadedness of the fanbase and the general levels of pessimism when it comes to this team / core etc., but absolutely no reason not to get involved and try and support the team.

The number of times you could hear the players actually communicating with each other, even up in the 300s, was insane. Could clearly hear Swayman yelling instructions to some of his Dmen in the 3rd, and once Marchand scored that place was a morgue.

So disappointing.
Crowd seems pretty engaged when the team gives them something to cheer about.

Pretty hard to get excited about that PP, or allowing a go ahead goal 30 seconds after scoring.

Crowd has been conditioned to wait for the next screw up because it usually happens

Maybe if they weren’t 1-6 in their last 7 games at home, the crowd may not sit in dread of what will happen next

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad