Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
Maybe Leafs have more depth this year or are better rostered for playoffs top to bottom. But amazed they are hanging in without Willy and Marner a non factor. Or negative one. There's still hope if those 2 make an impact starting game 4.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Someone once said defense and goaltending win the playoffs and for 8 years the Leafs have insisted they don't need any of that to win and to prove it they'll do the opposite by focusing on a few highly-paid forwards to carry the team.

And for 8 years they done nothing but lose.

Maybe this Summer it's time to accept defeat, and rebuild the roster starting from the net out?
So, your saying Shanahan is being turfed for a competent President………

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They were targeting him properly !!!

Then again Pasta is Marner size and ate it well... if it was in reverse we would have 20 pages crying about Broons targeting poor Mitch and not a Reavo :D
Pastrnak is much bigger that Marner. He has a thick upper body and is probably 15 lbs heavier.

Reactions: therealkoho

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
honestly thought they were pretty to really good again. I can't understand how they couldn't cash one of the two Domi turnover chances (crazy that he didn't try to just tuck the first one in, imagine Marner etc etc), or Bert's on the last PP, or the Robertson feed that Jarnkrok managed to miss entirely, or Kampf's chance on the play that might have been icing when he turned back from an available lane to Dewar.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
We have Matthews and Robertson. And that's something.
Put a pure goal scorer like Robertson on PP1 when Nylander is missing? Nah, Keefe just throws out another net front guy to try and bang in rebounds that don’t exist because your only shooter is under weighted blanket like coverage.

Reactions: OddyOh

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
my dad sent me the Marchand interview where he's gushing over the different Leafs and idk to me it seemed like bait, and then we get Bert following him around the ice looking for a sword fight and head hunting after. god DAMMIT

Reactions: ACC1224

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Boston looks like the better team. They get the puck out of the zone so well, and have the edge in goaltending. But, its 2-1. Series far from over.

Boston doesn’t look like the better team at all. They do look like the better team in net, and their special teams are actually working but even strength we are playing a lot better than them.

I agree with the rest. It’s only been 3 games. Long way to go yet. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if this team with 3 of the last 4

Reactions: ACC1224

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Lots to unpack from last night, but as someone who was in the building and has the privilege of going to a lot of these home playoff games - last night's atmosphere was shocking.

I can't believe we all spent a few days watching Jets, Canucks, and Edmonton fans turn their buildings into cauldrons of noise, atmosphere, and intimidation, and we as a fanbase mustered up... that?

Large stretches where that place was so quiet. I understand completely the jadedness of the fanbase and the general levels of pessimism when it comes to this team / core etc., but absolutely no reason not to get involved and try and support the team.

The number of times you could hear the players actually communicating with each other, even up in the 300s, was insane. Could clearly hear Swayman yelling instructions to some of his Dmen in the 3rd, and once Marchand scored that place was a morgue.

So disappointing.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Is it ?

Bruins had Tim Thomas, Rask, and now Swaymen + Ullmark.

Swayman was already were promising young goalie and they still went out there and got UFA Ullmark. We went Foligno or some other bust we already suppressed from our collective memory...

I don't want to hear about how hard getting goalie is. We don't care about goalies... UFA Vezina winner? Crickets.. Getting JT to play 2 C hear? We sure as hell need to win that sweepstakes...

Yes, goalies are hard to get.

Sorry you don't want to hear it, but they are.

Even if you sign someone who is supposed to be a stud (like our current GM and Markstrom), it doesn't always work out.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I am still scratching my head why people blaming the goaltending last night. Only allowed 3 goals + an empty netter. Sammy made big saves too. What do you want him to do? Leafs also went 0 for 5 on the PP, how is that on the goaltending? Swayman is not prime Patrick Roy either.
mostly agree, first goal was trash and he almost got scored on from the oppo blueline right after but again half the f***ing building had stopped before the first goal, it reminded me of last year when McCabe plastered Yssimont and then play continued as Nick Paul tried to fight him in the neutral for like 30 seconds as Tampa continued to attack

Reactions: PromisedLand

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I am still scratching my head why people blaming the goaltending last night. Only allowed 3 goals + an empty netter. Sammy made big saves too. What do you want him to do? Leafs also went 0 for 5 on the PP, how is that on the goaltending? Swayman is not prime Patrick Roy either.
Short sided goals are unacceptable, IMO. That first one was terrible, really bad.
The PP and PK were poor as well, Lilligren and Bertuzzi were pretty bad.
It can be more than one thing that causes a loss.

Reactions: therealkoho

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Did not like the first goal on samsonov at all. You cannot allow that goal in a playoff game where games are tighter. That said, I though aside from that he played good game. The problem is the guy at the other end played still significantly better. Thats just facts.

Special teams are our biggest problem right now though. We can and did get back the softie Sammy allowed, but the PP is sputtering and the PK can’t keep the puck out of our net.

Reactions: ACC1224 and Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The first goal can never go in. But the Leafs need to score on theor PP'S after to pick him up

Reactions: egd27 and ACC1224

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yes, goalies are hard to get.

Sorry you don't want to hear it, but they are.

Even if you sign someone who is supposed to be a stud (like our current GM and Markstrom), it doesn't always work out.

Keep making excuses for the core players. 0 for 5 on the pp, what do you want Samsonov to do about that? Swayman is good but he is not prime Patrick Roy. Find a way to beat him.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lots to unpack from last night, but as someone who was in the building and has the privilege of going to a lot of these home playoff games - last night's atmosphere was shocking.

I can't believe we all spent a few days watching Jets, Canucks, and Edmonton fans turn their buildings into cauldrons of noise, atmosphere, and intimidation, and we as a fanbase mustered up... that?

Large stretches where that place was so quiet. I understand completely the jadedness of the fanbase and the general levels of pessimism when it comes to this team / core etc., but absolutely no reason not to get involved and try and support the team.

The number of times you could hear the players actually communicating with each other, even up in the 300s, was insane. Could clearly hear Swayman yelling instructions to some of his Dmen in the 3rd, and once Marchand scored that place was a morgue.

So disappointing.
I find at times you can feel the nerves of the fanbase in the building, it's almost like the building is holding it's breath.

Reactions: Gallagbi and Tak7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad