Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Marner has 2 PP assists in his last 13 playoff games.

I'm sorry Keefe but you need to get Domi out there and sit Mitch.

But he won't, he'll go down with the ship.

these morons are looking to make cutezy plays; other teams either have fast puck movement or they take shots and look for rebounds followed by shot or quick recovery for another shot

Its been 5 odd years with Keefe at the helm and PP is still an aboslute JOKE in the playoffs.

Really pissed me off when I saw quote from Keefe saying "they are not as fluid" then freakin take the puck shoot it and crash teh effing net ffs. I really don't undertstand if it is the moronic coaching, or stupid players or both

Reactions: egd27 and Cleetus

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I don’t have much energy to complain about our goaltending after going 0/5 on the PP. We don’t score enough in the playoffs, same story all the time. The team was never going to have amazing goaltending. But they were the 2nd highest scoring team in the league, yet can’t score when it matters.

Insane that Nylander has not missed games for injury in like 7 years and now can’t play in the playoffs, we’re so cursed man.
The core 4 got majority of their pts against mediocre teams and occasionally bottom feeders(they lost too many of those games though), they couldn't score against Boston and Carolina.

Look at Colorado they score crapton of goals against any kind of opponents including playoffs.

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Brodie 5.5
Marner 11
Klingberg 4
Sammy 3.5
24 million could get us a decent goalie and Dman.. or 5 ..

One more year after this when Tavares is off the cap (and Marner). Leafs should be looking to make moves then.

This summer Leafs gotta do a minor re-tool and not commit significant futures for next season unless it is a "you just cannot miss this deal" kinda thing

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
meh series isnt over but im not sure i actually wanna win if it means keefe keeps his job(along with a few of the high paid guys)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Marner has 2 PP assists in his last 13 playoff games.

I'm sorry Keefe but you need to get Domi out there and sit Mitch.

But he won't, he'll go down with the ship.

I don't get why they don't try something new, like go to your set positions on the PP, and maybe just chuck the puck around and blast it without unnecessary twirling and drifting in and out of areas. Sometimes you watch Edmonton, Tampa and Colorado at work, all they do is stand there and blast it, look for seam plays, cross crease. Most guys are set positionally and you have maybe a couple of playmakers who will skate out of position.

Reactions: themilosh

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
For sure, but I think the Leafs could point to this series of a clear example as to why he isn't worth X dollars. He's been terrible, so him arguing that he's as good as Matthews would come off as pretty disingenuous.
I expect he'd be happy to slot somewhere in between Matthews and Nylander ($12.5m?). The Leafs don't have a lot of leverage with Marner or a history of winning negotiations with the big three.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Forget their tier 1 players . Look at their secondary support

Look at Ranatanen and playoff numbers
Pointe and his numbers

We get nothing out primary players and secondary players

Also look at the teams those players have faced, not Vezina caliber goalies every single series. That said we do still have to be better and I pray they figure it out this time around.

Reactions: fahad203

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I don't get why they don't try something new, like go to your set positions on the PP, and maybe just chuck the puck around and blast it without unnecessary twirling and drifting in and out of areas. Sometimes you watch Edmonton, Tampa and Colorado at work, all they do is stand there and blast it, look for seam plays, cross crease. Most guys are set positionally and you have maybe a couple of playmakers who will skate out of position.

Leafs really miss Nylander as a shooter...with a team like Tampa, they have Stamkos' deadly one-timer on the left side and Kucherov on the right side, who could also dish the puck...Point plays the middle and could also shoot...at the blueline, they have Hedman...McDavid weaves around like a squirrel after a nut with Draisaitl as the big shooter and Bouchard at the point..Hyman plays the dirty net-front presence...with Colorado, they have MacKinnon, Rantanen and Makar - all could shoot.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
One more year after this when Tavares is off the cap (and Marner). Leafs should be looking to make moves then.

This summer Leafs gotta do a minor re-tool and not commit significant futures for next season unless it is a "you just cannot miss this deal" kinda thing
There's already enough to go off prior to this series, but if this series follows suit, then there should be a push for the waiving of these NMCs.

Why go through another year with this group?

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Leafs really miss Nylander as a shooter...with a team like Tampa, they have Stamkos' deadly one-timer on the left side and Kucherov on the right side, who could also dish the puck...Point plays the middle and could also shoot...at the blueline, they have Hedman...McDavid weaves around like a squirrel after a nut with Draisaitl as the big shooter and Bouchard at the point..Hyman plays the dirty net-front presence...with Colorado, they have MacKinnon, Rantanen and Makar - all could shoot.

We have Matthews and Robertson. And that's something.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
he had 10 points in 11 playoff games last year, I say the leafs could use a player like that no?

GL-bn0oWgAAv7VO

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Marchand dunked on us completely. Even said 'it's over in 5'
lol and I guarantee the team doesn't give a single f***. Marner surely doesn't, I'm fully expecting his p***y brand of point hockey to be here for the rest of the series

Seeing that as a fan ~3 hours later still pissed me tf off, but losing to these guys doesn't hurt like it should

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
lol and I guarantee the team doesn't give a single f***. Marner surely doesn't, I'm fully expecting his p***y brand of point hockey to be here for the rest of the series

Seeing that as a fan ~3 hours later still pissed me tf off, but losing to these guys doesn't hurt like it should
He said "still 35" referencing the time on the clock. Quite visibly.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Enough of the f***ing Marner slander, jesus. He set up a f***ing godly assist on one of our only 2 goals. Playing against their top line. With an old ass center and a f***ing rookie.

Agree 100%.

The worthless Toronto Sun tries to blame Marner for the Leafs failures and the mouth breathing knuckle draggers who look at the pictures in the newspaper decide they all need to pile on.

Knies should be playing on the 4th line at this point. You’re living in a dream world if you think he’s a 2nd line player on a Cup contending team. The only reason he scored tonight is because Marner was able to aim his pass so that it would bounce off the clumsy Knies and into the next.

Marner would have made it 2-0 if it wasn’t for Tavares and his cement filled skates standing in the way and blocking Marner’s shot at the empty next.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Although I think the main reason they lost tonight was from their pathetic powerplay, I still stand by what I said prior to the playoffs. I don't think Toronto can overcome Keefe and Samsonov.

Yes the forwards (on the PP) were to blame tonight. Keefe and Boucher need to figure something out. Keefe needs to stop being so afraid of making meaningful changes. The guy will ruin chemistry with his lineup scrambling but defaults back to the same safe garbage game after game.

He needs to tell Boucher to figure his shit out quick or take over the PP himself. He needs to stop leaning on Marner so much who has been a complete no show. And even though it wasn't an atrocious game I think he needs to at least try Woll. Samsonov let in yet another garbage garbage goal.

In spite of their flaws this team still has the talent to go on a run. It's a tall order though as they'll need both a hot streak from their pp and goalie imo.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Leafs need to elevate the puck on their rebounds

They're shooting rebounds like Samsonov is in the other net. You can shoot a rebound at Samsonov on the ice because it almost always goes through his legs but Swayman actually covers the bottom half of the net.

We had like 2 or 3 scrambles where Swayman didn't know where it was and we're just banging it against his pads. Try to elevate it - it's Swayman not Samsonov.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Enough of the f***ing Marner slander, jesus. He set up a f***ing godly assist on one of our only 2 goals. Playing against their top line. With an old ass center and a f***ing rookie.
None of it is slander when it’s all true

His expectations are Matthews-like because he has and will demand Matthews money. Last game matthews was better than any game Marner has ever played. This should’ve been marners time to shine but he makes a nice pass and plays p***y Perimeter hockey for the rest of the game

He is paid to score like the dinosaur Marchand, or the 2nd line debrusk yet both have more points than this guy.

Marners disappearing act makes Caspar look dense as f***.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad