Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It's becoming clearer and clearer that Matthews is the guy you keep, and Marner is the guy you trade...Marner's going to want more money than Nylander. Re-sign Domi and maybe Bertuzzi, trade Marner, get a real goalie and shore up the d.
Totally agree, although I don't see how Marner can realistically argue that he's worth like $12M with how bad he has been this series. His whole thing has always been that he's as good as Matthews, but he's showing that he's not.

Reactions: arso40

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Disappointed but unsurprised.

This team wins in spite of Keefe, not because of him.

He is just not a very good coach.

Ready to part with so many pieces of this Team, both on the ice and in the management.

Enough is enough. These losers can’t win. And they keep trotting the same shit out, from the top down.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
One was slamming someone face first into the boards, the other was a cross check to the head. If you want to excuse a weasel like DeBrusk, go right ahead.
I don't believe I excused it at all. You clearly don't even know what the conversation was about to begin with.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Totally agree, although I don't see how Marner can realistically argue that he's worth like $12M with how bad he has been this series. His whole thing has always been that he's as good as Matthews, but he's showing that he's not.
Why wouldn't he argue it? And he'll likely get it based on what Matthews and Nylander got.

dynasty67

Nov 9, 2019
I still believe in this Leafs team for some odd reason... they probably deserved better this game but that's hockey

I also still say Domi's play was a rally cry for the Bruins team because they were basically doa up until that point in the game...

Anyone who says the reason the Leafs lost tonight was because of Marner just that means that person clearly don't objectively watch Leafs games lol
I get your point regarding Marner. He wasn't solely responsible for the lost but man a $11m player has to bring much more than what Marner contributed tonight in a playoff game.

And I agree with you regarding Domi, that was Dumb Domi. He has to be much smarter than that because it somewhat tarnishes his excellent play otherwise.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Lost the game on special teams with a side of discipline. Recording.

Hey, Knies had a good one right?

Maybe Keefe should just grant Boston last change when at home?

Reactions: egd27 and arso40

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Why wouldn't he argue it? And he'll likely get it based on what Matthews and Nylander got.
Well he's not as good as Matthews, so he has no real argument there.

Is he worth more than Nylander? I don't think he has any real basis to argue that either. I'm not even saying Nylander is worth what he got either, but it's not like Marner is helping his case right now.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don’t have much energy to complain about our goaltending after going 0/5 on the PP. We don’t score enough in the playoffs, same story all the time. The team was never going to have amazing goaltending. But they were the 2nd highest scoring team in the league, yet can’t score when it matters.

Insane that Nylander has not missed games for injury in like 7 years and now can’t play in the playoffs, we’re so cursed man.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's becoming clearer and clearer that Matthews is the guy you keep, and Marner is the guy you trade...Marner's going to want more money than Nylander. Re-sign Domi and maybe Bertuzzi, trade Marner, get a real goalie and shore up the d.

Marner has never and would never slot ahead of Matthews if you had to choose to keep only one of them.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
You as well if you think this team isn't staying back for Samsonov.

No I don't! Leafs outshot bruins in the 2nd game if what you claiming was true Leafs would have been playing Carlyle's swarm system which they aren't and would have more blocked shots than the bruins which they don't (including Gm 2 and Gm 3)

I have facts and stats supporting me.

Leafs forwards are paid to score if they can't score then they gotta go. Period !

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t have much energy to complain about our goaltending after going 0/5 on the PP. We don’t score enough in the playoffs, same story all the time. The team was never going to have amazing goaltending. But they were the 2nd highest scoring team in the league, yet can’t score when it matters.

Sammy gave us Lalime-like goaltending but the problem was definitely not getting a PP goal or two at some point. Imagine Hedman, Kucherov, Point and Stamkos getting shut down like that in years past.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Well he's not as good as Matthews, so he has no real argument there.

Is he worth more than Nylander? I don't think he has any real basis to argue that either. I'm not even saying Nylander is worth what he got either, but it's not like Marner is helping his case right now.
GMs and agents use regular season stats almost exclusively to negotiate contracts. It's not like Matthews and Nylander have eye-popping playoff stats.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Marner's injury has shown how expendable he has become...Matthews and Domi has great chemistry, and Domi is great at dishing the puck...had Domi not miss the last two games of the season, Matthews probably hits 70 goals (ironically, he hits 70 for the year in game 2 with that great feed by Domi). The way some folks talk, you'd think Marner is the only guy who could pass the puck in the NHL. If Marner had a good shot, then that would be a different story...alas, the guy plays scared in the playoffs and can't rise to the occasion for what he's paid for.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
GMs and agents use regular season stats almost exclusively to negotiate contracts. It's not like Matthews and Nylander have eye-popping playoff stats.
For sure, but I think the Leafs could point to this series of a clear example as to why he isn't worth X dollars. He's been terrible, so him arguing that he's as good as Matthews would come off as pretty disingenuous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad