Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Do you go with Woll in Game 3?

I think maybe you do, even though it probably means you can never turn back to Sammy.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
We didn't. But we put up a fight

I hear you brother. I'm 46 torn miniscus. Slowing seeing my game going south.

We are still in it. Being down 2-1 not the end of the world. We can still make a series out of it

But that PP .... if you had told me you have a 70 goal scorer and somehow our pp would suck. I would have never believed it.

I am 40 now. I have a steel plate in my ankle. I don't know what I was thinking going for a slide tackle on astroturf, but I am a stupid and proud guy and would do it again (I was 24 at the time it happened). Glad you guys put up a fight. I much prefer participating in sports rather than watching them. You made the right decision tonight.

Reactions: fahad203

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
This seems like a hail-mary plan IMO. Keep changing the goalies and see what happens while continue to keep about the same team who cannot produce especially the high AAV forwards.

Somethings gotta give here....

I don't mind Leafs taking a re-tooling route until Tavares is on the cap. But they really gotta commit to re-tooling. And that means Marner probably gotta go or you convince Nylander to waive.

I've seen enough of Rielly to say he is not upper echelon of #1D; especially in the post season.

Belief is one thing; but blind belief is dangerous !

The Leafs are stuck next year.

Matthews and Nylander are getting a raise - they need to replace all their D, and you expect them to get a stud goalie? You got to be realistic. Salt Lake City also has a ton of expiring LTIR contracts and that team needs to throw money just to get to the floor. They got a ton of cap space so either we overpay for UFA's competing with a new team with 50M+ cap or we change what we can.

When Marner and Tavares come off the books next summer - then we have the room to play around. Leave some cap space for McDavid the following summer because there's some strong rumours there.

Last edited:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
That too. The best players just can not score on Swayman. I guess that can be attributed to the Bruins structure as well. They are simply the better team.
I honestly feel we are the better team, but the Bruins (and almost any other playoff team) do not have the breakdowns like we do that give the opponent such easy access to, or clean looks at, our net.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
I like Naz too but he was suspended three playoffs in a row if you count his first season with Colorado. Let's not act like he didn't also f*** up both series against Boston in 2018 and 2019.
Kadri wasn't suspended his first season with Colorado.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I honestly thing we are the better team, but the Bruins (and almost any other playoff team) do not have the breakdowns like we do that give the opponent such easy access or clean looks at our net.

Every team from time to time has breakdowns. But for us it's so predictable year in year out. You know exactly where it's going to come from

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The Leafs are stuck next year.

Matthews and Marner and getting a raise - they need to replace all their D, and you expect them to get a stud goalie? You got to be realistic. Salt Lake City also has a ton of expiring LTIR contracts and that team needs to throw money just to get to the floor. They got a ton of cap space so either we overpay for UFA's competing with a new team with 50M+ cap or we change what we can.

When Marner and Tavares come off the books next summer - then we have the room to play around. Leave some cap space for McDavid the following summer because there's some strong rumours there.

I don't see how Marner and Nylander both fit in the Leafs' future. One of them has to go.

Marner and Tavares are both done after next season you let Marner walk, ask him to waive his NTC/NMC so you can do a sign and trade or ask Nylnader to waive his NTC/NMC

You want to keep "seeing what new goalies (yes plural) does" what kind of logic is this?

I have zero interest in wasting Matthews' prime gambling on "let see how new goalie does"

One of Marner/Nylander has to GTFO and we gotta go shopping for true 1D and get a decent goalie.

Stud goalies aren't grown on trees. I have no clue where you got "get stud goalie" from my post.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I don't see how Marner and Nylander both fit in the Leafs' future. One of them has to go.

Marner and Tavares are both done after next season you let Marner walk, ask him to waive his NTC/NMC so you can do a sign and trade or ask Nylnader to waive his NTC/NMC

You want to keep "seeing what new goalies (yes plural) does" what kind of logic is this?

I have zero interest in wasting Matthews' prime gambling on "let see how new goalie does"

One of Marner/Nylander has to GTFO and we gotta go shopping for true 1D and get a decent goalie.

Stud goalies aren't grown on trees. I have no clue where you got "get stud goalie" from my post.

What goalie are you expecting to get this offseason? If you have a theory - present it. I'm dealing with the options.

You think Boston will trade Ullmark to us for cheap?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I honestly feel we are the better team, but the Bruins (and almost any other playoff team) do not have the breakdowns like we do that give the opponent such easy access to, or clean looks at, our net.

Boston is so obviously beatable, especially this version. Leafs are experiencing the usual problems in the playoffs and it’s going to be our undoing again.

Reactions: wingman75

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Every team from time to time has breakdowns. But for us it's so predictable year in year out. You know exactly where it's going to come from
I think the frequency plays a part too. Goalies can cover up so much, and every chance against is not a breakdown.

The 2nd and 3rd goals against were breakdowns in coverage giving the B's players easy access to the net.

Anyway, yes, predictable, yet still disappointing.

Boston is so obviously beatable, especially this version. Leafs are experiencing the usual problems in the playoffs and it’s going to be our undoing again.
Oh, could not agree more. Other than their goalie and PP, I'm not sure how good they actually are. They just play pretty consistent. If we did that, even with this roster, we'd be awful hard to beat.

Reactions: fahad203

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Maybe if Debrusk didn't ram Marleau face first into the glass he wouldn't have been cross-checked in the head.
That's not really what happened.

Regardless, Marleau was fine and it didn't warrant a cross-check to the face, even if you might think it does in your hockey fantasy.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What goalie are you expecting to get this offseason? If you have a theory - present it. I'm dealing with the options.

You think Boston will trade Ullmark to us for cheap?

You are fixated on the goalie; I discard this notion. I don't see it the same way you do i.e. "our forwards collapse b/c goalie can't make a save while bruins forwards don't"

this is simply not true

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Alright, now it's the BwO's turn on the GDT right? I might just post a parade map and let the main board suck on that but I'll see if I can cook some more up.

Reactions: Pinkcat and Metroid

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You are fixated on the goalie; I discard this notion. I don't see it the same way you do i.e. "our forwards collapse b/c goalie can't make a save while bruins forwards don't"

this is simply not true

It is 100% true.

When you don't trust your goalie everyone is playing defense and trying to block every shot. Then when you get possession, everyone is further back not allowing for a breakout.

Look at Boston, their forwards are always cheating for the long pass. The Leafs won't do that because they don't trust their goalie.

Reactions: Jmo89

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Yes that's exactly what happened and DeBrusk was fine too, so I guess using your idiotic rationale Kadri shouldn't have been suspended either.
One was a hit that didn't warrant a penalty, the other was a deliberate cross-check to the head. If you want to compare them that's up to you.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It is 100% true.

When you don't trust your goalie everyone is playing defense and trying to block every shot. Then when you get possession, everyone is further back not allowing for a breakout.

Look at Boston, their forwards are always cheating for the long pass. The Leafs won't do that because they don't trust their goalie.
This is the game sheet from tonight

Bos had 24 blocked shots; Leafs had 18 blocked shots

You entire argument and logic is based on make belief.

1714019324127.png

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
We must have heard different things. Because it quickly shifted to must re-sign everybody and run it back. People won't admit it now, but yes -- immediately after the Florida loss people said don't re-sign Matthews, they can't win with him, his contract will handcuff them. Or at the very least, play hardball with him. And within a week the narrative was must get Matthews re-signed and make sure he's happy so he will re-sign. You don't remember all the worry that Auston might be upset about Dubas parting ways so need to make sure Auston is feeling good and happy?

That's my point. It quickly went from can't win with the core, can't win with Auston. Don't re-sign him. Don't give him what he wants....to let's pray he's happy and will want to sign long term. Please Auston like us. It will be the same with Mitch when push comes to shove.

It's becoming clearer and clearer that Matthews is the guy you keep, and Marner is the guy you trade...Marner's going to want more money than Nylander. Re-sign Domi and maybe Bertuzzi, trade Marner, get a real goalie and shore up the d.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad