Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
How is Edmonton able to score on the PP with their eyes closed game after game and we struggle to get a single SOG on some PPs
The special teams is a f***ing joke. Whoever is in charge of that needs to get canned
All this star power and they are f***ing trash on the powerplay

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Tre should pick up the phone and asks, doesn't hurt...best destination for Marner is probably Utah...new team could use some regular season star power, and Leafs could get a good package coming back.
He also looks like a Mormon.. so there is some synergy there.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Because Steve Simmons criticized him and everyone hates Steve 'I Have a Face That Even my Mother Wants to Kick' Simmons, including the rest of the media.

Actually I think you are completely right. At first I just heard Toronto Sun Front Page and forgot which media members work for what publication. Now it all makes sense.

Internal media politics. They hate Steve Simmons so they take the opposite view. I also think because Auston hates Simmons it's an easy way for the media suck ups to cozy up to Auston and get invited to his golfing outings this summer.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
I get where you are coming from, but you aren't getting a player better than Liljegren on the open market for less than 2.5M

2.5M is #5 money.
Liljegren isn't even a #5 he's an AHL defenseman. We can use him to move up in the draft.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Left the game after 2nd. Had a soccer match to play. Didn't want to go, but had a feeling we weren't going to win

I know who this team is. I know who they are not. Headstrong we are not

Hope you guys won. I miss my playing days... Now I gotta settle for coaching... Getting old sucks.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
I don't think Marner is going anywhere. The Leafs will resign him, if for no other reason that he has far less trade value if he is going into a contract year.
This. Everything is reactionary.
When the Leafs lost out last year, for about 24 hours there were calls to break up the Core 4.

A few days later the popular thinking was it would be insane to break up the Core 4 and bring them all back for another kick at the can.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Matthews showed heart and leadership last game, it was a wonderful and rare Leaf sight to behold.

Unfortunately, you can't be a hero every game of the playoffs, and we need more heart and soul plays out there.

I'm hoping playoff Rielly comes to town next game and goes off...Lord knows we need it, and Nylander can get the standard 1st game back goal as well.

If we don't win next game, it's the end of an era. Big changes on the horizon.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
How is Edmonton able to score on the PP with their eyes closed game after game and we struggle to get a single SOG on some PPs
The special teams is a f***ing joke. Whoever is in charge of that needs to get canned
All this star power and they are f***ing trash on the powerplay
In fairness....the Kings suck. They're trash. Drew Doughty plays half the game and he was washed up years and years ago :laugh:

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Sadly u can complain all u want about defence or goaltending every year but when you big dogs don’t show up and put the puck in the net u ain’t going anywhere.
Our team is all skill/offense guys and our problem every year in post season is offense so..

It’s cool when u watch Colorado and mckinnon shows he’s too good, watch Edmonton and McDavid and draisatl are too good, watch Tampa and kucherov shows he’s too good even in hard games.

Leafs fans do not know that feeling!!!

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Should be Lils last season as a Leaf. He makes me feel depressed
I was so excited when we picked him. I thought he didn't get a fair shake for years and I stand by that. After the Great Anton Stralman Catastrophe I vowed to not fanboy a depth defenseman...but he just can't be counted on consistently...and by now, he needs to be able to be counted on.

He just leaves you wanting more...more often than he should.

Disappointing.

Reactions: fahad203

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Agree, but Swayman was the difference. He leads the PK for Boston.
He was better, but I think our breakdowns and inability to score are the difference.. could argue he (Swayman) is the reason for that.

Goal 3 for Boston is a complete breakdown where the Boston player is able to receive the pass, set their feet, and get behind the shot. Add to that the comedic things the Leafs do, like Matthews knocking Samsonov's stick out of his hands just before...

Our guys NEVER get that kind of time or clean look, and even if they do they miss the net or as you say, Swayman makes the save.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
This. Everything is reactionary.
When the Leafs lost out last year, for about 24 hours there were calls to break up the Core 4.

A few days later the popular thinking was it would be insane to break up the Core 4 and bring them all back for another kick at the can.
Yep, let's try the same personnel and strategy for ten straight seasons so they can go to the golf course just before April 30th every year.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
There are a lot of problems with this team. We can debate them all night long.

We haven't had a legitimate number one goalie since Ed Belfour in 2004. Twenty years ago. Let that sink in.

People say this franchise is cursed. They're just managed horribly. How do you go two decades without addressing the goaltending?

Going into the playoffs with Samsonov and Woll as your options. Are we supposed to be excited about our chances this year?

Leafs pay premium AAV for offense to just 4 forwards. Next season it will be 11+ AAV for 4 forwards

And here is teh record:

Goaltending is definitely something that should be addressed but so is offensive production, defense and team structure/balance

forward heavy cap allocation has done nothing but be an absolute knife in the back of the Leafs. And it starts with ShanaCON

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
The 1 thing the coaches need to do in the next few days is completely revamp the pp
I am not a line guy... but I would get Marner off PP1 for starters. Let him and Nylander run PP2. Put Domi on PP1 and see how it goes. Can't be worse.

PP1 - Matthews, Tavares, Bertuzzi, Domi, Rielly
PP2 - Marner, Nylander, Knies, Robertson, Liljegren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad