Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-2

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Ok, but they are spending over 100 mil on payroll this season so they do it at their own risk.
yup, the money's one thing, but until recently I'd have argued losing another year of term on the big four's contracts was more costly. Who knows, maybe the shorter term on these guys will end up being the prudent move?

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Conversely, I would argue Dubas helped hire Babcock.

Dubas was the interim GM when the leafs hired Babcock. Although ultimately it was a Shanahan descision, there is no doubt that Dubas had a voice in the hire.
We can't know if Dubas' voice in the decision was an endorsement of Babcock or not because as you say it was ultimately Shanahan's decision.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You still need to do a thorough interview process especially for someone like Kyle who has never hired a head coach before. You obviously can't do this while the job isn't vacant.

It has to be a slam dunk hire, no question.

I think that if Babcock is fired (which I think that he should be) anybody who Dubas thinks would be a slam dunk hire does not need to be interviewed and hopefully Dubas already has them in the organization - because those are the types of people you ensure are working for you. When the Blues fired Yeo they had Berube ready to go. Team's know their players, they know their coaches, they know the other coaches out there. This shouldn't be as complicated as you are making it out to be.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think that if Babcock is fired (which I think that he should be) anybody who Dubas thinks would be a slam dunk hire does not need to be interviewed and hopefully Dubas already has them in the organization - because those are the types of people you ensure are working for you. When the Blues fired Yeo they had Berube ready to go. Team's know their players, they know their coaches, they know the other coaches out there. This shouldn't be as complicated as you are making it out to be.

Keefe clearly would get the first crack at the interim gig. They would then probably search "officially" in the offseason.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I do not accept the way Matthews and Marner played tonight.

I DO NOT accept it.
I do not accept Matthews or Marner period. Shanahan promised to clean house and get rid of the sense of entitlement. All he did was bring in richer version. Something beside bad D is in that room. Maybe there is the dreaded Kesselitis Disease. The only cure.......MORE HAMBURGERS!!!

Reactions: Cobra777

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I agree with you and certainly Dubas and even Shanny need to be accountable but I won’t go and blame Dubas bc he has done a good job. He traded for Muzzin(IMO still the best Dman beside Trouba that got either traded or in the market since last Jan.)
Kerfoot and Barrie(he is a lot better than he is showing), for Kadri is a good trade, esp since Kadri is a suspension waiting to happen in the playoffs. Development of players like Moore, Tima and other Marlies.

That is all true, and good moves for sure. But I just can’t comprehend what was going through his (and Shanny’s) mind when he signed Tavares (I really like him, a great player), and then handed out those contracts to WN, AM, and MM. Everyone and their dog knew we needed help on defence, and some size with skill on the wings. Yes we have Barrie, but who can we sign/keep after this year with us being right at the cap?
Sure hope I’m proven wrong.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Keefe clearly would get the first crack at the interim gig. They would then probably search "officially" in the offseason.

I agree with giving Keefe the interim title and then seeing how the rest of the season turns out. As I assume it will take significantly more points in the East than in the west to make the playoffs again this year would advise doing it sooner rather than later.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
You say Berube and I say the many interim head coaches that never won anything. Hiring a coach is a massive thing. I think you are under-estimating the value of it.

Dubas and Shanny are calculated, probably more calculated than most front offices. They will do their home-work and to me that screams that they wont knee jerk but rather make a thoughtful decision in the off-season.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not so sure about that. If we're still underachieving by the end of November, I wouldn't be surprised if Keefe is given the reigns.
last thing Dubas wants is to fire Babcock AND have Keefe fail, I think he'll get the job if/when Babcock faulters in the playoffs.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
We can't know if Dubas' voice in the decision was an endorsement of Babcock or not because as you say it was ultimately Shanahan's decision.

Dubas is a puppet. He was brought in because Shanahan thought he would appeal to the younger players and be a plus for the younger fans. They let him sit in an office and play with his analytics. He has no say in this team but they let him sit in the press box and wince every time he sees the team make another lousy play.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You say Berube and I say the many interim head coaches that never won anything.

Most coaches hired in the summer after a long process like you would prefer never win anything either.

Dubas and Shanny are calculated, probably more calculated than most front offices. They will do their home-work and to me that screams that they wont knee jerk but rather make a thoughtful decision in the off-season.

If the management of this team is too stupid to know what kind of team they are trying to build and what coaches would be the best match for their organization and players then they need new management.

horner

May 22, 2007
Agree with most of what you say but talent alone is not enough. I believe we are missing an ingredient or two.
We are missing an igniter
Some the going to drag us into a fight
To me if you aren't getting involved physically then you are not competing enough
Especially the defensive end
Do they really want to be the best player or team

Boston is loaded with these type of player

Yes we are missing a key ingredient

I really hope korshkov will be that player

Reactions: CelticDruid

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Most coaches hired in the summer after a long process like you would prefer never win anything either
Yea no kidding but a lot more than your preferred scenario. Anyone would rather go through a deep process then to pick a coach on the fly, a luxury that this team doesnt have since we are trying to win and not in a rebuilding stage anymore (ie. just promote the assistant to interim and tank).

If the management of this team is too stupid to know what kind of team they are trying to build and what coaches would be the best match for their organization and players then they need new management.
Well I am sure Dubas and Co. clearly have an idea of what they are trying to build and how they want to execute it, there's no question about that. But if Dubas were to rush into something mid-season and it didn't work out, he would be next on the firing list.

scotian1

Dec 19, 2011
Kingston, N.S.
No one needs to fight but they do need to take a hit to make a play or be willing to use the body to separate the man from the puck. We have too many who are unwilling or unable to do that at the present time. The stick waving idea of defending has got to stop.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
To me if you aren't getting involved physically then you are not competing enough

We don't have an igniter per say but we have a few forwards that can play physically. Would be mice if we had a guy who can play and can put Marchand in his place. It just pisses me off watching players like Krug taking shots at our stars. More importantly, we cannot have our D allowing players setting up shop in front of our net and cycling them to death.

Reactions: Superstar

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Imagine if the current Leafs have Wendel and Tucker in their prime...nobody would dare lay a hand on any of our players.

Reactions: ToneDog

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
It is still early in the season. Of all the teams that stepped on the gas to begin last season, none won the cup. This is a very talented bunch. They will be fine. Closer to the holiday break we will see what we really have. Come January Matthews and Marner can step on the gas. Why get burned out in October.

home ice vs boston? no excuse with the best training staff, $$$ resources etc either.

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Skill + will. That needs to be evaluated.
Matthews and Marner are being paid to be McDavid and Draisaitl not Bozak/JVR/Kessel.

If you don't have the drive train, then a time needs to come where you just take the train.
Bozak and Kessel won the cup since being traded away. This year, there is a good chance Kadri and Gardiner will meet in the finals.

Reactions: Blowfish

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Dubas is a puppet. He was brought in because Shanahan thought he would appeal to the younger players and be a plus for the younger fans. They let him sit in an office and play with his analytics. He has no say in this team but they let him sit in the press box and wince every time he sees the team make another lousy play.

ya he's 10 years old I think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad