Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2 to the caps

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Time will tell, but losing is as simple as coaching. If your lied to there is a lack of trust, if the trust is gone so is the will to succeed. Just watching camera shots of the bench a lot of players look sideways when the ranting and raving starts behind them.

What? May be I missed something. What r u trying to say

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Thought the effort level was there. Early pressure in the first. Really pushed the pace in the 3rd.

The first OV he comes through the neutral zone untouched. If that happens, he's going to score on 95% of goalies in the league. McBackup had little to no chance on it.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Take a look at Pittsburgh - both last year and this year if you'd like.

2016-17 Pittsburgh Penguins Player Ice Time Stats

That's how you manage ice-time when you're juiced to the gills with offensive talent. You don't have some scrub like Hyman averaging the 3rd most even strength ice-time. They got their 4 best boys Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Guentzel leading the pack for even strength time.Their Hyman guys (Kunitz and Hagelin) are rightfully behind their best offensive guys.

Please take some notes Babcock.

Edit: How about we take a look at Tampa too?

2017-18 Tampa Bay Lightning Player Ice Time Stats

Look at that, their 4 best offensive producers rightfully leading the pack in ES ice time. They're not giving any scrubs like Hyman prime even strength ice time.

As much as I love Hyman's hustle; I have to agree with this post.

People paying fiod money for the games are shorted if they don't see top skilled players on ice more.

I would be fine with Hyman getting most minutes of it means .8 hockey; or at least puck possession.

I would clearly be ticked off if I shells 200 dollars for tickets only to see Hyman out on ice and team lose

Reactions: ThewThew

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I’d much rather have Leivo in for Moore (with Marleau playing C).

However, I’m not sure how anyone can watch Sosh and Martin, and not think Martin is the better player to have in the lineup.

Matt Martin should be a guy coming out of the lineup in back to backs and 3in4 situations to get fresh legs in, but this season, he’s done well.
Agreed, Sosh has been brutal this year... he also has the worst tunnel vision on the team while Martin has shown this year he can make some nice plays

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
As much as I love Hyman's hustle; I have to agree with this post.

People paying fiod money for the games are shorted if they don't see top skilled players on ice more.

I would be fine with Hyman getting most minutes of it means .8 hockey; or at least puck possession.

I would clearly be ticked off if I shells 200 dollars for tickets only to see Hyman out on ice and team lose

I found this "stack our producers ice time" interesting. Here's the lines if we went that route, based on ES P/60

Leivo - Matthews - Brown
Martin - Kadri - Marleau
JVR - Moore - Nylander
Hyman - Bozak - Marner
*Komarov and Soshnikov would be scratched.

If we did just ES Points, it would look like;

Marleau - Matthews - Brown
JVR - Kadri - Nylander
Martin - Hyman - Marner
Leivo - Bozak - Moore
*Komarov and Soshnikov would still be scratched

If we include special teams production for our even strength lines (just total points);

JVR - Matthews - Marleau
Nylander - Kadri - Marner
Hyman - Bozak - Brown
Martin - Moore - Komarov
*Soshnikov and Leivo would be scratched

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You're not going to get any reasonable answer nor have any reasonable discussion.

Babcock has fallen in love with his skill-less grinder (he did this in Detroit with Cleary and Abdelkader) and is giving him ice-time and opportunity far above his abilities.

The Hyman white-knights cannot form their own opinions, they defer to Babcock.

This Cleary?
image.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I kind of understand what Babs is doing with the ice time honestly. We are a good team, if we can win with Matthews and Kadri playing 15 mins a night then why push them up to the 20s every night?

In an ideal world they play just enough but not too much, stay healthy, and then you play 43 and 34 for 20+ minutes each come playoff time when they’re more rested.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
If Martin were on his wing it would be Martin Matthews Nylander---or Martin Matthews Nylander

Lost in all this is the fact the Nylander is simply not playing well at all this year. I caught this about a month ago, and every one was saying he was fine. I dont know what his problem is. Confidence is obviously not there, and that is probably a lot of it but god darn it get out of the slump already. Marner looks like he did last year finally, last night yet again Bozak couldnt finish more than one beauty pass from him. I think that Marner should be with Matthews honestly, and Nylander actually looked better with Bozak and JVR. Not sure why Babcock changed back to the lines that had issues scoring. But the biggest issue was Curtis. I know it was Ovie but that first goal he didnt even move, the second goal he has to have that. Go figure we out shoot them in the first and are down 2-0. The second was kind of ugly, but wow the 3rd. We have seen this before, and when the Leafs skate, and activate their fast defense, we are hard to stop. I have said that before as well (activate the D, let them carry it across the red line, and in if there is room).

Rielly is at his best when he wheels, ditto for Jake, and Zaitsev is pretty good too. Surprisingly the first D to do it last night way before the goal was Borgman, the kid is going to be good. Polak maybe be slow as hell, but if he carries and shields with his body he usually gets it in the zone. I hate us dump and chasing of late. Whether we are slow (which we arent), or simply not working, something is wrong. To me I think it is how we dump it in, ringing it around hard when it should be a corner dump and so forth. Same issue in the D zone several times last night our D rang it around in our own end right to Washington, they werent looking where they were passing. Just giving the puck right back.

Oh well, live in learn hopefully. We are playing a hot Flame team next, and Johnny Hockey is on fire. Watching more than one Flames game, they play a very similar style to our own, should be interesting to watch. I will say one thing, that first line of theirs is super hot right now we cannot turn it over to them or we are in trouble. Also a key is not taking dumb dumb penalties, Tkachuk is a pro pest, I have seen him make the other team take stupid penlaties many times.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Because they see that we lost but seem to be incapable of separating how we played from the final result. The Leafs looked like a playoff team tonight, even if they lost. Out-shot and out-chanced the opponent, played a pretty tight defensive game, but didn't get a couple bounces. Such is hockey.

The leafs looked alright for a team playing their 3rd game in 4 nights. They outshot and the caps and limited the scoring chances against them.

Matthews still doesn’t look the same as he did before the injury.

The difference in the game was 100% Ovechkin and Holtby.

KULEMINakajesus

Dec 8, 2010
When the leafs take more penalties than the other team Hyman will get a lot of ice time.

Personally I'd much rather see Brown up on the first line, but I do agree with more balanced lines.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
If Martin were on his wing it would be Martin Matthews Nylander---or Martin Matthews Nylander

Lost in all this is the fact the Nylander is simply not playing well at all this year. I caught this about a month ago, and every one was saying he was fine. I dont know what his problem is. Confidence is obviously not there, and that is probably a lot of it but god darn it get out of the slump already. Marner looks like he did last year finally, last night yet again Bozak couldnt finish more than one beauty pass from him. I think that Marner should be with Matthews honestly, and Nylander actually looked better with Bozak and JVR. Not sure why Babcock changed back to the lines that had issues scoring. But the biggest issue was Curtis. I know it was Ovie but that first goal he didnt even move, the second goal he has to have that. Go figure we out shoot them in the first and are down 2-0. The second was kind of ugly, but wow the 3rd. We have seen this before, and when the Leafs skate, and activate their fast defense, we are hard to stop. I have said that before as well (activate the D, let them carry it across the red line, and in if there is room).

Rielly is at his best when he wheels, ditto for Jake, and Zaitsev is pretty good too. Surprisingly the first D to do it last night way before the goal was Borgman, the kid is going to be good. Polak maybe be slow as hell, but if he carries and shields with his body he usually gets it in the zone. I hate us dump and chasing of late. Whether we are slow (which we arent), or simply not working, something is wrong. To me I think it is how we dump it in, ringing it around hard when it should be a corner dump and so forth. Same issue in the D zone several times last night our D rang it around in our own end right to Washington, they werent looking where they were passing. Just giving the puck right back.

Oh well, live in learn hopefully. We are playing a hot Flame team next, and Johnny Hockey is on fire. Watching more than one Flames game, they play a very similar style to our own, should be interesting to watch. I will say one thing, that first line of theirs is super hot right now we cannot turn it over to them or we are in trouble. Also a key is not taking dumb dumb penalties, Tkachuk is a pro pest, I have seen him make the other team take stupid penlaties many times.
Can't blame Curtis for the first goal, the way the shot was hid, the angle change, the velocity plus placement, 99.9 percent of goalies don't stop that.

The second one went through the 6 hole, it was a flubber but it never looks good when it goes through the arm. 50/50.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad