Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2 to Flyers | Seven games till Carlyle's firing

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
I find it laughable the sheer volume of people on here blaming that loss on Bernier and the officials. The Leafs are just horrible in their own end - missing assignments, running around looking for big hits. Reimer kept them in that game and played fine. Could have easily been a 6-2 loss the. Reimer stopped at least 2 shots that would have never been his fault. How many odd man rushes were there? Didn't he stop a breakaway? There could have been 3-4 breakaways against with any less luck.

Phaneuf is the problem in Toronto if you ask me. So much ability but he plays a stupid game year after year.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Feels like I keep saying the same thing every game but the forward core on this team is a BIG reason why we're so awful defensively.

Weak on the puck.
Dont win any board battles.
Try too many long cross ice low % pass's.
No puck support in the neutral zone.
Absolutely no sustained possesion in offensive zone.
Terrible at supporting the D with effective backpressure.

People can rag on Reimer (he was bad) or complain about the blueline (needs to be upgraded) but this teams forward group and there lack of defensive presence and being prolly the softest group of players has played into this teams terrible D bigtime.

I saw someone post in another thread we should make a play for Skinner in the offseason and I almost threw up in my mouth :laugh:. This team badly needs to inject some better two way forwards into the lineup. Bringing back Komarov would be a great start but also think Lupul has to go.

You're exactly right and the problem is only compounded by the fact that the top 6 is especially bad in the ways you mentioned -- and in particular the wingers.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Thought they were the better Team for the most part, result is all that matters though.

Going to be an interesting off-season.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Imo problem is building arouund kessel

Most talented player no question
But when he's the top paid you need a lot more and the team reflects it

When they aren't scoring they dont know what else to do and a lot of other issues are exposed

Last edited:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Imo problem is building arouund kessel

Most talented player no question
But when he's the top paid you need a lot more and the team reflects it

When they aren't scoring they dont know what else to do and a lot of other issues are exposed

And this has to go back to Nonis. I understand that when a team is having some success, you may not want to change things. But, to come out and say everything is ok when most know it isn't? To say that you don't care that other teams are controlling the games and it really comes down to outscoring your problems, what happens when you can't anymore? This. We have no money to upgrade anything without downgrading everything else. This team is destined to be extremely top heavy without room to move.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
And this has to go back to Nonis. I understand that when a team is having some success, you may not want to change things. But, to come out and say everything is ok when most know it isn't? To say that you don't care that other teams are controlling the games and it really comes down to outscoring your problems, what happens when you can't anymore? This. We have no money to upgrade anything without downgrading everything else. This team is destined to be extremely top heavy without room to move.

We've seen this before
Secure a core that has accomplished anything and pay them aas if they have

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad