Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2 in OT

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Which of those graphs showcase a partial breakaway as described?

It could be in the low slot, that doesn't make it a "partial breakaway" by pure definition that is subjectivity incorrect, this isn't an opinion sir.

They're no stats about it, it was just an opinion but one thing is sure...

whatever if its a low slot shot of high slot shot, it was always been extremely dangerous shot and will always be.. thats why one basic of every defensive system is how to protect the slot

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Honestly, the overreaction game came a bit later this year than I expected….
I am shocked and saddened by the Edmonton board where fans are lining up to post their resignation with the Team. I mean McDavid could return in a month and possibly get them to .500 by January.

The grass isn't always greener I guess...

Seriously Leaf Fans, an OT loss is not the end of the world.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
saw it coming ALL game

you knew the loss was coming all game. It just had that feel. Leafs never really picked it up at any point during the 60 minutes. I remember thinking in the 2nd period, if the Leafs win this one they're going to have to steal it

especially in overtime. Did we even have possession of the puck at any point in that extra period or did Nashville control it the entire time?

Either way you could tell they were losing this one from early on, and during the entire game really. And overtime especially, you knew they were losing it as soon as a few seconds in. Just one of those games.

Yes, we did and Matthews thought it made sense to make some crazy gamble move and give it back instead of just keeping possession and being patient for a chance. Matthews is one of my favourite Leafs ever but that was just foolish.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
It’s a point but we need more from our stars. Sammy was ok. Hope Lilly is ok

We played better but couldn’t get another goal.

Are we happy with the cap money spent on Burt, Domi and Reeves so far?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Samsonov started the season so poorly that I almost think last night was... progress. I guess that isn't saying too much. The ROR goal wasn't good. I need more looks at Josi's. But otherwise I thought he made some good stops. Nashville didn't pepper the shot clock, but due to the nature of the poor turnovers, I thought a lot of the chances they did get were pretty critical ones and Samsonov made some good saves.

For how he started the season, I felt there was progress, even if it was just small. Tough to expect going from almost rock bottom all the way up in one game.

The reality is, he's going to start games in the future. This isn't a fantasy world where after a quick rough start, the player is useless and you can just toss him aside (that also goes for about 10 others on the team as well :D). He needs to be fixed to have value either for our team or someone else. If this continues, then yes you have no choice to play him sparingly. But we aren't at the point where it's going to be some 80/20 split for Woll at the snap of the fingers. Maybe down the line, but not now.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I am shocked and saddened by the Edmonton board where fans are lining up to post their resignation with the Team. I mean McDavid could return in a month and possibly get them to .500 by January.

EDMONTON -- Connor McDavid practiced with the Edmonton Oilers at Commonwealth Stadium on Saturday and is likely to play in the 2023 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic against the Calgary Flames on Sunday.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Fury won in a split decision.

I know, Francis was never going to win on points in his first pro boxing match against Fury who is in the Goat conversation.

Can you imagine? UFC champ never boxed in his life beating boxing GOAT. They would have to shut off the lights on boxing and close the door. The referees sentencing Box to death would be crucified by their community.

On top of that Saudi Arabia already paid for Fury's next fight against Usyk - a fight of two unbeaten boxers, a fight that is scheduled to take place in 8 weeks from now. That would be hard to sell.

Francis won the night and it wasn't even close.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I thought it was a good game for most of the players. Probably should have won but sometimes you just don't. It happens all the time. Samsonov was alright, the first goal was pretty bad though.

If Liljegren is out, and with McCabe already day to day, this is gonna get really rough defensively.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Pretty sure McDavid is playing today.

Reactions: therealkoho

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
So you do understand my point? Players of his ilk play for the cup. His rejection, basically was like a finger to our core players. Hence, I wish they took it as personally as I did. A guy that rejects the team the way O'Riley did should have been marked and his words should be taken like salt rubbed into wounds.
He also mentioned that the Leafs had some problems that needed fixing. If that is so! Then why would he come back to a situation he wasn't comfortable with.

He doesn't need the disdain, it's whatever is going on in the room that needs to be fixed that deserves your disdain. Problem is its too late now, so I guess, we just hope for the best, and that it fixes itself.

Players are free to do what they want and Nashville, because he's a musician, is a place he likes. Add to that that 2 or 3m more they offered him and it's an easy decision.

Toronto has a long history of signing guys to big money contracts, guys who are twilighting and on the edge of their effectiveness disappearing and that's a bad habit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nineteen67

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I thought it was a good game for most of the players. Probably should have won but sometimes you just don't. It happens all the time. Samsonov was alright, the first goal was pretty bad though.

If Liljegren is out, and with McCabe already day to day, this is gonna get really rough defensively.
Not sure I understand the reactions in this particular thread.

Team is 5-2-1, and is coming off a 3-1-1 road trip; the longest of the season btw.

Sammy has been awful so far this season, and let in a softie albeit on a PK and was very solid from there on out. We generated a lot of chances 5-on-5 and Saros was excellent, as he is one to be. PP got a goal...needed another but couldn't find it. Effort was top notch all game long... I'll take an OT loss there without much complaint.

Biggest worry for me is the injuries on D as you say... Lagesson was fine last night, but if we are down another regular he has to play more... don't know how that goes. Too bad Timmins is not ready to go.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I wasn't impressed by what ROR contributed to our team in the playoffs so I wasn't that distraught when he didn't sign with us. I don't hate him, but I don't want him to succeed or certainly score two goals against us. Having said that, he has the right to sign wherever he wants just like Tavares did.

What bothers me is the stupid uninformed comments that stated he didn't like our core players and that he felt he couldn't win with this core. First of all, Marner, Matthews, and Tavares had dinner with him two nights ago so there's no friction there. Secondly, if he wanted to win, he certainly wouldn't have signed with Nashville where the only Cup he'll see will be on his television.

Toronto is one of the top 5 teams in the league and have as good a chance of winning the Cup if the right trades at the TDL are made, Woll continues to show he's an elite goalkeeper, and we have a little luck.

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
Silver lining is Detroit lost so we are 2nd in our division now.
I know it's early but if Boston is going to run away with the division again then you want them to win against team's we are battling for top 3. Not thinking with heart but just logically. If Boston is that good again

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I know it's early but if Boston is going to run away with the division again then you want them to win against team's we are battling for top 3. Not thinking with heart but just logically. If Boston is that good again
Wait it's not even 10 games into the season and we're concluding Boston is already going to be 1st?

Simmer down, Boston ain't it this year. That record is padded.

Reactions: The Iceman

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Not sure I understand the reactions in this particular thread.

Team is 5-2-1, and is coming off a 3-1-1 road trip; the longest of the season btw.

Sammy has been awful so far this season, and let in a softie albeit on a PK and was very solid from there on out. We generated a lot of chances 5-on-5 and Saros was excellent, as he is one to be. PP got a goal...needed another but couldn't find it. Effort was top notch all game long... I'll take an OT loss there without much complaint.

Biggest worry for me is the injuries on D as you say... Lagesson was fine last night, but if we are down another regular he has to play more... don't know how that goes. Too bad Timmins is not ready to go.

Exactly its the best start of regular seson since 2018-2019 after a 5 road game trip and still complaining

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I see Samsonov ditched the Cujo mask.

The team probably told him to stop embarassing Joseph's legacy. I know Samsonov didn't let in any even strength goals. But the difference between his performance and Saros was the difference between winning and losing again tonight.

Stinkberg stinks.

Such a bad choice by Treliving to sign him. It really bothers me the team traded Sandin for Gustafsson only to let him walk. That's what you call throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Marner serving up more muffins than a Tim Horton's.

Keefe should have benched him for the rest of the period. Instead he gave Marner almost 22 minutes in ice time again. Dubas isn't here anymore.

Keefe can have his balls back.

The new look power kill is humming along at 74.1%. Good for 24th in the league. Maybe having Matthews try inflate his goals totals by playing him shorthanded wasn't such a good idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if this 4th line is the worst in the league.
It's not Marner that gets coddled

As far as Shelly goes, now that Dubas is gone we'll see if he can assert himself as the boss on the bench and get all the players to listen. You have to respect that he's designed the offence to give 34 the best chances to use that shot of his. I think installing Knies and Filthy Billy on to 34s wings will be amazing.

I'm not a fan of 34 on the kill either. I'm not against maximizing 34s ice time, so if you're going to do it, at least give him those 2 or 3 minutes either with JT or whomever happens to be playing on the third line. The Leafs need to win the 5v5 time in order to win games, games like last night's.

34 wasn't at his best last night, why keep pumping his minutes when hes looking a little tired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad