Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2 in OT

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
A bit of a side note, but can someone explain to me how Domi didn't get an assist on Gio tuck? He very clearly deserves an assist. There was no change in possession.

It obviously doesn't have any significance in terms of the outcome of the game, but it's nice to have your players feel good about their games on the stat sheet. For Domi especially, who has been fighting it a bit, every little victory means something.

Reactions: Jojalu

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
A bit of a side note, but can someone explain to me how Domi didn't get an assist on Gio tuck? He very clearly deserves an assist. There was no change in possession.

It obviously doesn't have any significance in terms of the outcome of the game, but it's nice to have your players feel good about their games on the stat sheet. For Domi especially, who has been fighting it a bit, every little victory means something.
I thought they intercepted his pass and then Kampf got over to Gio, although they never had clear possession.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
I actually liked a lot of what I saw in this game. The defense seemed much more relaxed, they outplayed Nashville and had some good scoring chances, especially earlier on that they didn't capitalize on. Samsonov wasn't bad at all, but he was the second best goalie in the game and that's the reason they lost.

Move on, you'll win the majority of games like this.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Those sweaters are awful, but I don't think you can blame Bieber for how badly we play in them.

Have we won a game wearing them?
What a disappointment when they come out with those on. They look worse live than they do on tv.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Funny enough, I actually thought this was one of our best 5v5 efforts all season.

We looked like the team I want us to be in the first half. Bad PK (includes goalie) sunk us. We also really need some more push from the bottom 6.

Flip Holmberg and Kampf imo.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I haven’t seen him take a dangerous shot from distance in a year. It used to be that he was automatic from the slot and a a 50/50 threat from further out, now it seems like he’s a 50/50 threat from the slot but focuses most of his efforts on scramble plays 3 feet from the net.

When’s the last time you saw this shot from the circles or further with the goalie set up and tracking it but unable to do anything about it?

Both his hat tricks and the vast majority of his 40 goals last year are from the slot or closer, his threat from distance doesn’t really exist anymore the way it used to.

It’s cool that he’s been able to compensate by becoming more complete offensively with a power game in front of the net and more playmaking but it hurts us that Nylander is really the only remaining threat that can hurt you from anywhere on the ice. Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Bertuzzi, and whoever the 1/2LW of the week is all need to be in tight to be dangerous, our two offensive D need to pinch in deep for their shots to be dangerous.

Couldn't agree more. The laser beam shot seems to be gone. Clearly his wrist never healed completely. He can score in many ways though so I'm not sure it's that big of a deal but I miss seeing those shots.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Funny enough, I actually thought this was one of our best 5v5 efforts all season.

We looked like the team I want us to be in the first half. Bad PK (includes goalie) sunk us. We also really need some more push from the bottom 6.

Flip Holmberg and Kampf imo.

Yep. Nothing wrong with that game and they got a point on the road. Didn't bother me at all.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Matthews rarely gives the puck away.
Not sure that's true. Last year among Leafs forwards he was second in giveaways (behind Mitch) and third in giveaways per 60 (behind Mitch and JT).
League-wide tied for 28th (56th per 60) among the 379 forwards with 50+ games.

For comparison, Nylander was 6th (7th per 60) among the 10 Leafs and tied for 110th (201st per 60) in the league.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I never really like Ryan O'Reilly. Even when he played for us.
Same, and he looked very slow last game, which is how I remembered his time as a Leaf.

I know he scored a couple, but I don't miss him. I don't think he really brought a lot.

I'd kill to get Verhaeghe back, though. Speed and high goalscoring IQ.

Reactions: weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Same, and he looked very slow last game, which is how I remembered his time as a Leaf.

I know he scored a couple, but I don't miss him. I don't think he really brought a lot.

I'd kill to get Verhaeghe back, though. Speed and high goalscoring IQ.

Yep, I'm not convinced his game is going to age well either with his lack of skating/explosiveness.
He will put up some points on NASH though because they don't have many good offensive players and thus will be played in #1 line C/#1 PP role.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Game tonight, should be a spooky one....... lets get a Pre Game Thread going.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yep, I'm not convinced his game is going to age well either with his lack of skating/explosiveness.
He will put up some points on NASH though because they don't have many good offensive players and thus will be played in #1 line C/#1 PP role.

Yea, but our centre depth is a joke for a supposed Stanley Cup contender. If Matthews or JT get hurt and can’t play, who is the 2nd line C? Using Nylander at C is not a great idea either. Someone like O’Reilly would have given us much better depth.

Reactions: weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Yea, but our centre depth is a joke for a supposed Stanley Cup contender. If Matthews or JT get hurt and can’t play, who is the 2nd line C? Using Nylander at C is not a great idea either. Someone like O’Reilly would have given us much better depth.

Yep our center depth is extremely questionable.
Kampf to me is strictly a 4th line defensive player and very good in that role.
#3 center spot we need someone that can create some offense, so unless it's Holmberg, we might have to make a move for this player.
I think this is why you initially saw them entertain that Nylander at center idea and then Minten make the team because they know the currect setup isn't very optimal.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I thought the third line with Domi was really good last night.

Created a tonne of chances and sustained pressure most of the night.

5 points in 8 games is right where I would expect him to be.

Bert will come around. He looks more comfortable every night. Only a matter of time.
That might be the quietest 5pts Ive seen. He has been pretty much invisible and certainly not a difference maker in any regard....so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad