Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-2 in OT

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Sure they were awful in OT but that game should never get to OT.
I suppose, but championship quality teams tend to overcome those mental mistakes and bear down. These guys just keep making them.

Reactions: Al14

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I only read the 1st and last page of this thread, I feel sorry for some of you guys, the ones who are so filled with anger that you can no longer think straight.

I enjoyed the hell out of this game. Despite being short handed on D, we played very well in this one, dominated for long stretches where we kept them hemmed in and only bad puck luck kept us from scoring a couple more. I'm obviously in the minority but I thought Kallgren was fine, no he was actually more than fine. This guys is way down on our depth chart, why some of you expect him to play like he's much more than that is beyond my comprehension. Tavares scored a big landmark goal against his former team, sweet! And that goal by Matthew, wow! He's been having a rough time this season but I figure he won't be shooting 4% all season and that deflection was a thing of beauty. The best part of the night by far though was Sandin sticking up for a teammate. I guess he hasn't been a Leaf that long so maybe that's why he still understands what being on a hockey team is all about and he hasn't turned into a p***y yet. Maybe what he did can help to wake up some of his teammates. He didn't seem to be hurt or upset at all that he got his fact punched a few times, he did the right thing and sent a message. The message isn't so much for the opponents as it is for his teammates and the message is that if anyone f***s with you, I will be here to back you up and you can count on that 100% because we are teammates, that's all there is to it. It's an important message so send and if some of these guys get the message and get with the program, we might have shot in the next playoffs but that's the only way you win - by sticking together as a team no matter what. And I miss Kadri but man he could have learned something from Sandin last night - you can stick up for your mates without getting suspended, it's not even really that hard but I digress ...

The only thing that wasn't great about this game for me is that we only got 1 point but even that I don't care about that much. There is no 3on3 hockey in the playoffs so that's the 1st reason I don't care much. The second reason is that there is a crapload of variance in 3on3, so that's another reason. And there is way too much talent on this team so I know the variance will swing the other way eventually, we've been much better in 3on3 before and we will be better again and even if we aren't, I go back to the 1st point - there is no 3on3 in the playoffs, it's basically a gimmick so who cares. And stop blaming the coach for 3on3 losses like this, all he can do is send his best players out there and if they play like idiots, that's on them.

Great game guys. This was a pretty damn good stretch so hopefully you can bottle some of that energy and take it on the road with you. And it shouldn't be Rasmus Sandin showing you guys what being on a team is all about but whatever, since it is him showing you how it's done, hopefully you guys will get the message, even if is because he shames you into it. You can all do better so let's see you do it. GLG!!

Reactions: Twine Tickler

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
No Wonder Keefe had planned to employ the 4 forwards w/ 1 D-man strategy this season in tight games.... He was trying to avoid going to OT. That was probably a good strategy, too bad it isn't working and the Leafs have been to OT 6 times already. I think he needs a new strategy to avoid OT.

Hey look, Devils next up. At least we probably won't see OT in that one.
A competent coach would just teach them some rudimentary 3 on 3 strategies, they are not complicated.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
that was the best game we've played all season IMO, and the closest thing we've looked like to the team of the last 2 seasons.

we dominated the entire game for the most part, it just didn't go our way in vintage Leaf fashion. I didn't love the OT session or the tying goal. C'est la vie. But the effort was there all night. All while being down our best D-man for an entire period+.

3v3 continues to be a problem unfortunately. Lots of points left on the board this season in that regard. Hard to practice 3v3. It's more of a feel thing. Very perplexing how we don't dominate that type of format with the personnel we have.

Play like that every night and we will be just fine

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I only read the 1st and last page of this thread, I feel sorry for some of you guys, the ones who are so filled with anger that you can no longer think straight.

I enjoyed the hell out of this game. Despite being short handed on D, we played very well in this one, dominated for long stretches where we kept them hemmed in and only bad puck luck kept us from scoring a couple more. I'm obviously in the minority but I thought Kallgren was fine, no he was actually more than fine. This guys is way down on our depth chart, why some of you expect him to play like he's much more than that is beyond my comprehension. Tavares scored a big landmark goal against his former team, sweet! And that goal by Matthew, wow! He's been having a rough time this season but I figure he won't be shooting 4% all season and that deflection was a thing of beauty. The best part of the night by far though was Sandin sticking up for a teammate. I guess he hasn't been a Leaf that long so maybe that's why he still understands what being on a hockey team is all about and he hasn't turned into a p***y yet. Maybe what he did can help to wake up some of his teammates. He didn't seem to be hurt or upset at all that he got his fact punched a few times, he did the right thing and sent a message. The message isn't so much for the opponents as it is for his teammates and the message is that if anyone f***s with you, I will be here to back you up and you can count on that 100% because we are teammates, that's all there is to it. It's an important message so send and if some of these guys get the message and get with the program, we might have shot in the next playoffs but that's the only way you win - by sticking together as a team no matter what. And I miss Kadri but man he could have learned something from Sandin last night - you can stick up for your mates without getting suspended, it's not even really that hard but I digress ...

The only thing that wasn't great about this game for me is that we only got 1 point but even that I don't care about that much. There is no 3on3 hockey in the playoffs so that's the 1st reason I don't care much. The second reason is that there is a crapload of variance in 3on3, so that's another reason. And there is way too much talent on this team so I know the variance will swing the other way eventually, we've been much better in 3on3 before and we will be better again and even if we aren't, I go back to the 1st point - there is no 3on3 in the playoffs, it's basically a gimmick so who cares. And stop blaming the coach for 3on3 losses like this, all he can do is send his best players out there and if they play like idiots, that's on them.

Great game guys. This was a pretty damn good stretch so hopefully you can bottle some of that energy and take it on the road with you. And it shouldn't be Rasmus Sandin showing you guys what being on a team is all about but whatever, since it is him showing you how it's done, hopefully you guys will get the message, even if is because he shames you into it. You can all do better so let's see you do it. GLG!!

Yes, Kallgren cost them the game, but that was a mistake.
He is 26, but has 22 games in the NHL?
Will he ever been a NHL goaltender ... Jack Campbell played 31 games at that age, but that was the start of his being a NHL goaltender.
Anyway, why did he throw it to the other team, seems like a lack of communication between him and the defender.

Overtime, they look completely unprepared. Mentally, just not in it. Snowball rolling downhill.

The game was well played, but failed to cash in, and scoring 2 goals isn't good production.

Just wish they weren't so easy to play against in their own zone. Islanders had easy looks in overtime, and the Leafs didn't even look like they wanted to shoot.

Reactions: egd27

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
It’s comical how bad they are in OT.
A top heavy forward lineup should dominate in 3on3 OT. And it's probably the part of the modern NHL that's the least reliant on coaching and strategy. Regular season OT is largely about skill, player chemistry, anticipation AND hustle.

Atleast there's no 3:3 in the playoffs.

Problem solved.
3-7 in OT during the past 6 playoffs.

Reactions: egd27

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Played pretty good. Kallgren and Benn 50% ownership on mistake. No communication from either

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
When 3 of your top 3 Dmen are injured and you still dominate the game.

We need to get Kallgren the f*** out asap. Islanders didn't even have a scoring chance all game. Kallgren just gives a freebie

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The Matthews drift was beyond terrible.
Still a 2-on-2 (not the odd man rush some are claiming), and a good shot by Beauvillier.

Let's see:

Previous game he starts OT with Tavares because he'd missed the game before, and Matthews and Nylander were tired.

This game he starts the two forwards who played the most in regulation. The only players with more ice time in the third period than Matthews and Nylander were Benn and Gio.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A top heavy forward lineup should dominate in 3on3 OT. And it's probably the part of the modern NHL that's the least reliant on coaching and strategy. Regular season OT is largely about skill, player chemistry, anticipation AND hustle.

3-7 in OT during the past 6 playoffs.

You nailed it !!

When you have a bunch of $11 mil players it should give you an advantage particularly in OT when its 3 on 3 talent.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I know some people do not care for hits because they would rather have the puck than chase it but:

Clutterbuck 9 hits - Leafs forward group 9 hits Big 4 - zero hits
Isles D - 18 hits - Leafs D - 12 hits - Holl - zero hits - Romanov - 9 hits

Isles 33+18= 51 hits
Leafs 9+12 = 21 hits

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Did anyone see the errant hockey stick lying on the ice beside Kallgren and Benn with the puck from behind the net going over the hockey stick at speed like it wasn't even there? Now that's some skill! Would like to see a replay of that. It happened so fast I couldn't tell if the puck went under the stick or if he flipped it over the stick.

Reactions: ULF_55

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I know some people do not care for hits because they would rather have the puck than chase it but:

Isles 33+18= 51 hits
Leafs 9+12 = 21 hits
Sandin led the Leafs in hits with 5 (not counting the ones to Wahlstrom's head).

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I find the Leafs to be a very scary team. So much talent. I see them getting back on track as cup contender. Maybe a little early adversity will help them down the road. With all due respect, I hope they don’t start tonight.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Imagine if NYI were missing Pulock (part of game), Pelech and Dobson, and then also Sorokin and Varlamov had played their last game so an AHL goalie was filling in.

That's what we were dealing with last night.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Isles 33+18= 51 hits
Leafs 9+12 = 21 hits

Hitting is what separates Hockey from Figure Skating.,

NYI "Identity 4th line" of Matt Martin -- Casey Cizikas -- Cal Clutterbuck is one of the best lines in hockey for providing secondary support and adding all those intangibles like grit, toughness and energy etc.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Imagine if NYI were missing Pulock (part of game), Pelech and Dobson, and then also Sorokin and Varlamov had played their last game so an AHL goalie was filling in.

That's what we were dealing with last night.

We are pretty banged up on D but nothing that I know of stopped the Leafs from starting their #1 last night other than load management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad